• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#981 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:14 AM

Briar King, on 19 December 2015 - 08:37 PM, said:

Don't say your sorry for your own feelings. I'm in roughly the same boat as you with it.

Cheers Bk, sometimes its hard to be the guys/girls to say "I'm not sure" against the flow.
The film was ok and efficient and perfectly serviceable in what it did. Alas predictable. Heros never in real danger. So much forced humour. Twas unspiring. The next day I reread the first chapter of "Heir to the Empire"...well, theres a difference there!

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 20 December 2015 - 03:32 AM

#982 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:51 AM

The EU is notorious for not killing any of the three mains at any point.

Given the furor over Chewbacca biting it when a moon crashed into the planet he was on, it's safe to say Star Wars fans don't really want their heroes to die. Ever.

However, there is a point to be made regarding dramatic tension and I raised that during the gunfights and the mass fighter battle late. I think the tension is present during the early chase scenes and the lightsaber battles though.

Ymmv.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#983 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:59 AM

I think there are three types of people in this thread:

People who wanted a great Star Wars movie.

People who thought it would be the Second Coming in movie format.

And people who are beholden to the EU.

Group one loved it. Group two was let down, because that's never happening. And group three need to take Ben's advice and "let go". :p

Seriously, 4 out of 10? It was BELOW AVERAGE?! Four out of ten is what you give things like My Little Pony: Equestria Girls, ffs. *sigh*

Oh, and the Mad Max comparison is an odd one, imo. Mad Max was never anywhere near as big as Star Wars, didn't have the fanbase, the universe, the need to get it right. And it didn't actually need a story - long running desert car chase sufficed, as it should have. It did a great job of getting the feel of the previous films right, sure, and it was a fantastic movie - but it had NOTHING riding on it compared to SW. And with TFA we got something that delivered on the 'feel' in spades, and was a solid movie its own right. I don't see the comparison, regardless of which one someone personally prefers as a movie, or even as a sequel/reboot/refresh. *shrug*

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#984 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:08 AM

This thread is ridiculous.

Done reading it.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#985 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:33 AM

As someone who loves the EU - now Legends - I really like this movie. Legends and new cannon? Sure I can enjoy both without problem.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#986 User is online   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:16 AM

A Demon Llama!, on 20 December 2015 - 02:41 AM, said:

Ok Just saw the movie. Gonna post my thoughts before reading anything.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#987 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:18 PM

Briar King, on 19 December 2015 - 09:53 PM, said:

Excellent. There's a 20% chance I ll give in and buy it at Walmart later this evening on my way home. Parking is a factor to. Hopefully it's not a madhouse when I drive by.

I think it's only available in eBook right now, the hardcover release looks to be Jan 5th.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#988 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:32 PM

To stride off in a slighty different directiion. Can I just say how much I LOVED Kylo Ren? I thought he was great and Adam Driver nailed an emotional performance. Alos, with some of my christmas bonus, I spent the cash and bought the Black Series Kylo Ren Force FX lightsaber. It's awesome!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#989 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:00 PM

I also enjoyed Kylo Ren, but I wish he was more badass, but I have a feeling he will beat Ren in round 2. I was disappointed with the silver storm trooper commander, and how easily she was swayed to do what she did.
No Touchy.

#990 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:14 PM

Silencer, on 20 December 2015 - 07:59 AM, said:

Seriously, 4 out of 10? It was BELOW AVERAGE?! Four out of ten is what you give things like My Little Pony: Equestria Girls, ffs. *sigh*

Don't mean to be the fly in everyones ointment but ya. Different tastes etc.

#991 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:45 PM

Seeing it again on Wednesday night!

#992 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:13 PM

QuickTidal, on 20 December 2015 - 01:32 PM, said:

To stride off in a slighty different directiion. Can I just say how much I LOVED Kylo Ren? I thought he was great and Adam Driver nailed an emotional performance. Alos, with some of my christmas bonus, I spent the cash and bought the Black Series Kylo Ren Force FX lightsaber. It's awesome,

Nice! Does it crackle? That 'saber reminds me of a rusty old Claymore.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 20 December 2015 - 04:14 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#993 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:01 PM

Silencer, on 20 December 2015 - 07:59 AM, said:

Oh, and the Mad Max comparison is an odd one, imo. Mad Max was never anywhere near as big as Star Wars, didn't have the fanbase, the universe, the need to get it right. And it didn't actually need a story - long running desert car chase sufficed, as it should have. It did a great job of getting the feel of the previous films right, sure, and it was a fantastic movie - but it had NOTHING riding on it compared to SW. And with TFA we got something that delivered on the 'feel' in spades, and was a solid movie its own right. I don't see the comparison, regardless of which one someone personally prefers as a movie, or even as a sequel/reboot/refresh. *shrug*

Not sure you paid attention to why I brought it up - which wasn't because of similarities in rebooting.

It was because Mad Max Fury Road makes each and every action sequence brim with dramatic tension. It is one of the best ever at doing that and I happened to rewatch it a few days before seeing SWTFA.

Yes, SWTFA tackles a more complex story. I quite liked that story. My criticism relates to the action sequences themselves.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#994 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:16 PM

Traveller, on 20 December 2015 - 04:13 PM, said:

QuickTidal, on 20 December 2015 - 01:32 PM, said:

To stride off in a slighty different directiion. Can I just say how much I LOVED Kylo Ren? I thought he was great and Adam Driver nailed an emotional performance. Alos, with some of my christmas bonus, I spent the cash and bought the Black Series Kylo Ren Force FX lightsaber. It's awesome,

Nice! Does it crackle? That 'saber reminds me of a rusty old Claymore.

It's crackles AND it ignites exactly how it does in the movie, blade first and then the cross guard/exhaust second. It's SWEET!

#995 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:10 PM

amphibian, on 20 December 2015 - 05:01 PM, said:

Not sure you paid attention to why I brought it up - which wasn't because of similarities in rebooting.

To be fair to him though, I brought it up in that sense.

And yeah, Mad Max had less riding on it- but that's almost beside the point, because Mad Max didn't take too many storytelling risks except those intrinsic in making an expensive movie not guaranteed to make money, and in fact a few of the creative decisions that helped make Fury Road such a wonder to behold- the refocus on practical effects where possible, casting a female co-lead where there wasn't really one before- were ones TFA shared.

It's just that Mad Max was executed nearly flawlessly and TFA, for all that it's really good... well, it wasn't.

On another subject, I just learned from Werthead in the Westeros thread on this film that apparently, according to additional materials,
Spoiler

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#996 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:48 PM

I enjoyed the film. It was a definite step up from the prequels. I really look forward to seeing Rey's journey. That actress did a hell of a job. Same for the guy who played Kylo Ren.

I have similar complaints to what most have voiced:

Spoiler

uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#997 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:39 PM

Not a huge fan of the original films but have read and enjoyed some of the eu. Liked this more than the originals, it had the usual movie logic flaws but was an enjoyable couple of hours. Thought the new cast were very solid, a lot of the returnees seemed to be phoning it in though.

#998 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:01 PM

Defiance, on 20 December 2015 - 08:48 PM, said:

I enjoyed the film. It was a definite step up from the prequels. I really look forward to seeing Rey's journey. That actress did a hell of a job. Same for the guy who played Kylo Ren.

I have similar complaints to what most have voiced:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#999 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:07 AM

I'm pretty much in the 'loved it' camp. I think some of the sadder moments -- while not by any means ignored -- were hit too quickly. Like "we acknowledge the sadness here, some of the characters are feeling it, but we gotta move on" and it could have stood to be 10 minutes longer with more funereal elements. Other than that though I thought it hit all the right notes. And if the movies are following the pattern of the first tril, that stuff might get much more screen-time in Ep 8, so I'm happy to wait.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1000 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:25 AM

QuickTidal, on 20 December 2015 - 11:01 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Nevyn: 21 December 2015 - 06:25 AM

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users