• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#6921 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:57 PM

I had never read this before, but this is the story that went was essentially Frank Darabont's rejected script (Which Spielberg loved and Lucas ixnayed) for INDY 4...and it's fucking LOADS better than what we got in CRYSTAL SKULL.

http://indianajones....ity_of_the_Gods

I hope in hindsight they realize how much they effed up by cherry picking Darabonts script for ideas and cobbling them together into that unholy mess that was CRYSTAL SKULL...best feature of Darabont's script? No Shia Mutt Willaims Labeef.

And his ending is WAY better with Oxley.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6922 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:03 PM

I've split off all the interstellar discussion since it was getting very spoilery into http://forum.malazan...8-interstellar/

#6923 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:35 PM

Saw BIG HERO 6 this afternoon, and it's easily the best sci-fi adventure movie of the fall/winter season. If it weren't for GotG occupying the top spot for the year, I'd probably want to give that spot to this, but it sits comfortably at #2 anyways.

Just wall to wall Disney Animation (they've been amazing since Pixar took over their creative role) goodness that we have come to know and love from TANGLED, WRECK-IT RALPH and FROZEN.

Do yourself a favor and go see it!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6924 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:11 PM

That's good news. Still have no clue what it's about. Is that big white thing called Big Hero 6, or is he one of 6 heroes and the Disney ad execs just don't care about the other 5 characters?

Speaking of animation, last night I watched I Know That Voice, a documentary produced by John DiMaggio about professional voice actors. If you like seeing dorks geek out about their craft it's a real charming 90 minutes. I guess my biggest issue is -- besides Mel Blanc and June Foray -- they don't really cover a lot of the older greats. I guess it's because there wasn't much budget for archival footage (that's the other issue, but understandable) and it's largely an interview-based doc. All in all quite fun though, and they do touch on anime and gaming work a bit too.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6925 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:45 PM

View Postworry, on 09 November 2014 - 10:11 PM, said:

That's good news. Still have no clue what it's about. Is that big white thing called Big Hero 6, or is he one of 6 heroes and the Disney ad execs just don't care about the other 5 characters?

I won't spoil the story for you, but the name is explained by tbhe end.

View Postworry, on 09 November 2014 - 10:11 PM, said:

Speaking of animation, last night I watched I Know That Voice, a documentary produced by John DiMaggio about professional voice actors. If you like seeing dorks geek out about their craft it's a real charming 90 minutes. I guess my biggest issue is -- besides Mel Blanc and June Foray -- they don't really cover a lot of the older greats. I guess it's because there wasn't much budget for archival footage (that's the other issue, but understandable) and it's largely an interview-based doc. All in all quite fun though, and they do touch on anime and gaming work a bit too.

That's a brilliant doc! I listened to a podcast with DiMaggio where he said they shot something like 100hrs of interview footage, and had to cut it down a LOT. Even so, I think it's an admirable job.

#6926 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:47 PM

Okay awesome, I guess all I really needed to know was whether the obfuscation in ads was deliberate for story reasons or just cuz the white thing is a pretty easy toy to market. Sounds quite promising.

#6927 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:37 AM

One of the best things about BIG HERO 6 is that it's Super Duper Science Education positive.

And the big white bot's name is Baymax. Sidenote: There was this little kid in our row, and every time the protagonists succeed he clapped really fast with a huge grin on his face. My wife leanes over and she says "That kid is totally just voicing what we are all too grown up to think....that this. is. awesome."

Trailer:

#6928 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:03 PM

Took the family to Big Hero 6 on Saturday, and it was fantastic. Biggest quibble was
Spoiler
(which I should say was the only emotional beat in the movie that didn't have me tearing up, just because it felt so manipulative) but otherwise it was great. Also, whenever we fist-bump with the kids now, we go "blalalalalalalalala". ;)

Oh, and the before-film short "Feast" was wonderful.

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 10 November 2014 - 06:05 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#6929 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:22 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 10 November 2014 - 06:03 PM, said:

Took the family to Big Hero 6 on Saturday, and it was fantastic. Biggest quibble was
Spoiler
(which I should say was the only emotional beat in the movie that didn't have me tearing up, just because it felt so manipulative) but otherwise it was great. Also, whenever we fist-bump with the kids now, we go "blalalalalalalalala". ;)

Oh, and the before-film short "Feast" was wonderful.

Spoiler

And yeah, FEAST was stunning!

My wife has now decided that the ONLY fistbump to be done is the Baymax fistbump. LOL

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 10 November 2014 - 06:23 PM

#6930 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:14 PM

I watched The Wolverine. Needless to say it was better than X-men Origins. The story was pretty good in broad strokes. In detail, the screenwriting ran from mediocre to bad (particularly dialogue), and the direction was surprisingly wack. It's like FOX asked what potential directors thought ninjas were like, James Mangold replied "They do flips indiscriminately whenever they move", and FOX was like "Excellent, you're hired!" There were some bright spots for action though, namely the opening scene, the train fight, and whenever Yukio was allowed to do anything without the camera 12 inches from her face (lost track of all the action shots where she was mostly in frame and yet only her enemy's legs or arms could be seen....such a bad way to film close-up action).

#6931 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:11 AM

Saw BIG HERO 6. Was really great. The guy doing Baymax's voice was spot on, and of course the animation was awesome. Highly recommended.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#6932 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:18 AM

It vexes me that Big Hero 6 isn't out until next month here in NZ. :)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#6933 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:20 AM

View PostBriar King, on 15 November 2014 - 10:36 PM, said:

Ok so I just finished watching 2001 for the very 1st time and I liked it. However that 30 min acid trip ending went over my head. I have no clue what that was. Now 2010 is on. Idk if I have the will to watch another 3 1/2 hrs. Destiny is calling me to go snipe bitches in PVP.

2010 is much different. Not Kubrick (IIRC). Still enjoyed it, but 2001's "acid trip" is kind of important.

"It's full of stars!"

People are STILL debating 2001's meaning to this day, though many have started to coalesce around the same theory.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6934 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:41 AM

View Postamphibian, on 30 October 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 30 October 2014 - 02:46 AM, said:

Oh shit check this out! Looks kinda cool ATMhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W2WtXIR9q0E
Nope, not supporting this white washed bullshit. They purposely stuck white people in every role they could while leaving out the Africans. It's been much talked about and the consensus is that this movie is racist as heck even before it comes out.

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 October 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 30 October 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 30 October 2014 - 02:46 AM, said:

Oh shit check this out! Looks kinda cool ATMhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W2WtXIR9q0E
Nope, not supporting this white washed bullshit. They purposely stuck white people in every role they could while leaving out the Africans. It's been much talked about and the consensus is that this movie is racist as heck even before it comes out.
I think Ridley's argument (I read it somewhere) is that the Egypt of the day would have not been populated by one skin of person and had a myriad of tones and races. This is correct, but doesn't excuse him making an Egyptian Pharaoh white. That's just nonsense whitewash. I totally agree with you Amph.What's worse he apparently DID cast darker skinned actors...in slave roles. Which is so facepalmingly bad I can't even... Idris Elba would have made a FAR better Ramses.His cast SHOULD be more diverse. 100%. Were I him I'd have ended the white cast at Bale (Bale playing a Jewish person isn't a stretch) and cast Ramses and the proper Egyptians as darker skinned. It certainly would not come off as bad as it currently does. I want to see it as I like Ridley's films, but I don't think that I can support such whitewashing.

Sorry to be late to the party, but aren't you the same lot who supported casting Idris Elba as a Norse God? So a black guy can play a white guy, but not the other way round?

http://en.wikipedia....ace_controversy

Who gives a fuck what actor plays a role? Just as long as they don't suck. For me, willing suspension of disbelief is less about looks and more about ability.

For the record, I was initially doubtful, but when I saw Thor I liked Idris Elba as Heimdall.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#6935 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:46 AM

The representation of a real Egyptian Pharaoh and his family/court in a movie freighted with intense overtones of seriousness and religious significance by white people when there are a large amount of available and talented Egyptian, Middle Eastern or even black (because there were black pharaohs) actors is duuuuumb.

The fiddling around with one of the gods in a comic book movie is a very different thing. If you can't understand that difference in context, you need to look again.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#6936 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:56 AM

Dude, I understand plenty. They're both SFF.

And forgive me if I'm wrong, but weren't there accusations that casting a black guy as Heimdall in Thor was disregarding religious sentiment?

Same shit, just one story ended up a lot more popular than the other.

You either consistently believe in getting it right according to the background, or you don't.

And besides, if even science can't agree what ancient Egyptians looked like, who the hell are we to care?

EDIT: besides, this movie is first and foremost about making $$$, and as we all know the biggest cinema market in the world won't go to see a movie with entirely Semitic and African cast.

I probably won't be seeing it anyway, because I've already seen The Ten Commandments. I don't need to see the George-Lucas-adding-shitloads-of-CGI version. :)

This post has been edited by Sombra: 16 November 2014 - 05:18 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#6937 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:57 AM

View PostBriar King, on 16 November 2014 - 04:26 AM, said:

Enlighten me please.

Most popular:

http://www.kubrick2001.com/index.html

Spoiler

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6938 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:45 AM

View PostSombra, on 16 November 2014 - 04:56 AM, said:

Weeeeeeeell... :)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6939 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:57 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 16 November 2014 - 07:45 AM, said:

Weeeeeeeell... :)

I just went " oooooooh" in my head.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#6940 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:30 PM

You either consistently believe in getting it right according to the background, or you don't.

And besides, if even science can't agree what ancient Egyptians looked like, who the hell are we to care?

EDIT: besides, this movie is first and foremost about making $$$, and as we all know the biggest cinema market in the world won't go to see a movie with entirely Semitic and African cast.

Those are the only two choices you allot? What a shame.

The features of the ancient Egyptian pharaohs and officials who were native to the Nile looked is actually fairly easy to figure out - since we have their mummified bodies. They're essentially the same as the people who now live there - Northeastern Africans. The presence of officials or other people who weren't Nile natives (lighter or darker than the Nile natives) is also likely since Egypt was a crossroads for trade and fabulously wealthy. The identification kerfluffle came about 100 years ago because the people digging them up (not actually archeologists) kept making them look white when they weren't. The only thing we don't reliably have down is what exact skin color each specific pharaoh had. So the experts pick a midrange of current Egyptians and assign the pharaohs something within that. That's fair.

What's not fair is that the Exodus movie didn't even bother trying to cast non-whites in the big roles.

Let's take a look at a different movie for context: The Passion of the Christ.

Mel Gibson put a mostly Italian cast into a religiously significant story very specifically rooted in a specific place at a specific time (Jerusalem in the Roman occupation days). That was odd, but when looking at how he chose to make the movie in Rome with his own money, it's a little more understandable and the Italians when tanned could sorta pass for Jewish/Middle Eastern. Then he made them all learn their lines in ancient Aramaic, Hebrew and Latin (despite the Greek the Roman soldiers would have spoken). That was actually good usage of context and sensitivity.

Then he blew it all to smithereens by making the story half torture porn/sensationalism and made nearly a billion dollars with it.

There is a large, large difference between The Passion of the Christ, the Exodus story and the adaptation of a comic book's adaptation of Norse gods. The last is a dead religion with decades of free use and silliness attached. The first two are still loaded with historical (even if some of the people talked about in the stories may not have actually existed) and social significance that means they are different.

Context matters. This is 2014, not the film landscape of 1956 where the 10 Commandments movie was made.

Joel Egderton is playing Ramses II, who was a bignosed, 5'7", redheaded Egyptian. Sigourney Weaver is playing his mother. John Turturro his father. Moses is Christian Bale. Joshua is Aaron Paul. Joshua's father is Ben Kingsley. Indira Varma (an Indian) is Moses's sister. None of these things make sense in relation to each other or their stories - except perhaps Ben Kingsley who actually does look the part.

This is just lazy casting and bad decisionmaking - stuffing movie stars into a story to the point where it begins distorting the story being told. It's racist. Context matters.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users