• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interstellar Spoilers discussion w SPOILERS

#1 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:01 PM

I saw Intersteller just now as well.
I'll probably need a night to sleep on it, but my overall impression is that I didnt like it that much at all and may have begun to actively hate it towards the end. Which is not at all what I was expecting from a Nolan film.

MOD GOD NOTICE OF TOPIC SPLIT

This post has been edited by Imperial Historian: 09 November 2014 - 07:03 PM

#2 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:21 AM

Saw INTERSTELLAR.

Here's my take.

It has moments of utter and complete shining filmaking brilliance...and those moments are intersperesed between long, boring bouts of exposition, hackneyed villain aspects, repetetive shots (seriously, if I had to watch the same shot of then outside of the ranger ship again for the 47th time I was going to get angry), and an overall hamhanded handling of the theoretical physics...including a trip to the 5th dimension that doens't altogether make sense.

This was Nolan doing his level best to make a Kubrick fiilm, aping most obviously 2001...up to and including having Hans Zimmer shit all over the soundtrack with loud church organ music (Kubricks fave was to use singular piano music...always irritated me)...and he even tries to get some GRAVITY, and even ALIEN in there...and it all misses the mark.

So yeah, in a nearly 3 hour film I found a few redeemable shots, a few sequences and some decent dialogue...but overall this is a wild miss for Nolan in my books.

And MAtt Damon's bit was so tacked on.

Danny Boyle's SUNSHINE did this better, and even that is a flawed film.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:36 AM

You guys are making me sad. Still going to see it but still...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4 User is online   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:40 AM

I'm hearing loads of bad things about the ending. Still seeing it though. I was already expecting it to be a bit unweildy and flawed, so maybe going in with dampened expectations will mean I enjoy it more than Nolan's last two anyway.

Will have to wait a while though. Money money money. ;)
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#5 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:07 AM

Well if you are going to see it, then the theater is probably where you should. Some scenes pretty much demand a massive screen.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6 User is online   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:56 PM

I'm defo gonna see it at the cinema. Hoping to see it at the IMAX here if it stays showing long enough - it'd be the first time I get to see something in IMAX that isn't in 3D, which would be nice.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:15 PM

Yeah if you are going to see it, defo IMAX...the best things about the film are some of the shots and sequences that demand to be seen on a big screen.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:58 PM

Oh, and this:

Spoiler

#9 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:31 PM

Well I just got out of the cinema to watch this and I loved it. The first hour alone is worth the price of admission for a really well done, and not overblown look at a world on the edge. The science of the film was pretty good for Hollywood, they cover relativity pretty well (magic time zones aside), and though some of the finale is a bit of a stretch it still worked for me. There are some really great shots of black holes and the alien worlds were really well done. The films main strength is it's character work the scenes between mcconaughey and his daughter were really good. I also thought matt Damon's bit was excellent and for me really portrayed well the affects long term space travel could have on a persons psyche.

This film had me from start to finish, and may be my favourite Nolan film, though I'll have to see whether it stands up to the rewatch.

#10 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:57 PM

Wish he wasn't. The movie could have done with fewer familiar faces.

#11 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:16 PM

There aren't any roles I'd call cameos.

#12 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 November 2014 - 04:01 AM

Interstellar.

First off, yes go watch it. Then decide if you like it or not yourself.

Some Spoliers.

I agree about the Matt Damon part, did not care for his appearance and it did seems a bit forced. There could have been a better way to show the human need for self preservation/ loneliness/hope(lessness) etc. Maybe not necessary but not unreasonable.

I didn't see how any scenes really dragged on and the visuals were fine, but also nothing spectacular. Score was fine too and in my opinion worked well.

I have to think about the movie first before I come to any solid conclusions yet. I enjoyed it though, but need to mull over it.

QT, its like you wanted to be disappointed. You have 2001 on a pedestal there and comparing this movie and just throwing it away cause obv it did not reach the perfect sate of Kubrick's film, even though they are proposing something different (to me at least). Also, the fifth dimension was not "Love." The fifth dimension was not quantified in the movie. Love was and is what every damned human being experiences in this world, and it was the motivation that allowed our hero to communicate and try to physically interact with his daughter. I am not a theoretical physicist or even anything close to that so can you please post a non hamhanded venture out into the fifth dimension? I would love to know what would actually happen. If you were dying and were in an inconceivable dimension where anything and everything could happen you can bet that you wont wish for a banana but would want to see your family again. Seems like the movie was more of the human condition than a 2001 like, evolutionary or advancement oriented one.

One thing that annoyed me was the reception of the audience - Hey, remember when 2001 was not liked and was dismissed? - Once the movie was done I heard people chuckling or saying "OK then" and an older gentleman saying how the movie was boring and his 20 something son saying how it was bad cause "too much thinking involved." Not to sound presumpuous, but I don't understand how people can say such things when a movie tries to propose grander ideas or themes. Are people really not interested the real possibility that one day humans will need to venture out into the unknown? Or how the effect gravity has on space and time and ramifications of such things as singularities or worm hole or whatever. Of course anyone can shrug and say "pfft, yeah like that would happen." But at least its trying to show and propose some ideas that at least stimulate mentally. Probably not enough action and explosions. I really dont know.
No Touchy.

#13 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 09 November 2014 - 04:20 AM

Heh. A film that brings up that level of discussion might actually be worth seeing sometime soon. Good enough for 1st cam or should I wait for a decent hard coded subs version?

;)
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#14 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 09 November 2014 - 04:53 AM

I just saw it. I'm still trying to process it. Acting and fx were awesome. The robot design was different and cool and kinda creepy all at once. I do agree the Matt Damon part seemed kinda pointless. Not an easy movie to like, but not so easily dismissed either.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#15 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:04 AM

It definitely attempts some things you see in sci-fi novels much more often than you see in movies. Agree with Llama that none of the scenes, in and of themselves, overstay their welcome (and I was actually impressed with several of them, in terms of visuals). Agree with QT that the score is godawful and often intrusive, and there's way too much exposition even in the half I liked. It handles relativity/time dilation by having scientists explain it out loud to each other followed by what amounts to "You knew that when you signed up!". I sympathize with your reaction to the audience, Llama, as I felt the same way after No Country For Old Men led local area yokels and various other morons to a head-scratching contest. Then again, after Interstellar my jaw might have shattered against the floor if I heard anyone complain the movie required too much thinking.

#16 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:33 AM

I quite enjoyed Interstellar. Saw it on a regular screen, probably should have gone IMAX route. That being said, my thoughts on other thoughts:

Agree soundtrack was a very obvious attempt to ape 2001, and it failed. But, I didn't actively dislike it.
Imagery is absolutely brilliant, and some of the cinematography is just fucking exquisite.
I love Matt Damon, thus, I'm happy he was in the film and it was quite a surprise, too.
LOVED the robots.

Spoilers:

Spoiler

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#17 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:23 AM

Saw Interstellar yesterday and well it was a trainwreack attempting to do a lot of "new/different" stuff but not really pulling it of over and over. Not the worst movie I've seen recently but not especially good either.

View Postworry, on 09 November 2014 - 05:04 AM, said:

Then again, after Interstellar my jaw might have shattered against the floor if I heard anyone complain the movie required too much thinking.

So much this even basic reasoning will completly shatter large part of the movie, so it might rather be said turn of your brain look at pretty pictures and don't whatever you do think about the movie's story, premises and a lot of the elements appearing in it. Actually eating after the movie while discussing all the holes in it was probably my favorit part of the experience.

At the same time I was impressed by some of the visuals, the robots was easily the highpoint of the actors preformance and script. They also attempted very ambitious storytelling for a hollywood drama/action movie over a longer duration movie and it nearly worked.

This post has been edited by Chance: 09 November 2014 - 09:26 AM

#18 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:29 PM

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 09 November 2014 - 04:01 AM, said:

Interstellar.

Some Spoliers.

I agree about the Matt Damon part, did not care for his appearance and it did seems a bit forced. There could have been a better way to show the human need for self preservation/ loneliness/hope(lessness) etc. Maybe not necessary but not unreasonable.

I didn't see how any scenes really dragged on and the visuals were fine, but also nothing spectacular. Score was fine too and in my opinion worked well.

I have to think about the movie first before I come to any solid conclusions yet. I enjoyed it though, but need to mull over it.

QT, its like you wanted to be disappointed. You have 2001 on a pedestal there and comparing this movie and just throwing it away cause obv it did not reach the perfect sate of Kubrick's film, even though they are proposing something different (to me at least). Also, the fifth dimension was not "Love." The fifth dimension was not quantified in the movie. Love was and is what every damned human being experiences in this world, and it was the motivation that allowed our hero to communicate and try to physically interact with his daughter. I am not a theoretical physicist or even anything close to that so can you please post a non hamhanded venture out into the fifth dimension? I would love to know what would actually happen. If you were dying and were in an inconceivable dimension where anything and everything could happen you can bet that you wont wish for a banana but would want to see your family again. Seems like the movie was more of the human condition than a 2001 like, evolutionary or advancement oriented one.

One thing that annoyed me was the reception of the audience - Hey, remember when 2001 was not liked and was dismissed? - Once the movie was done I heard people chuckling or saying "OK then" and an older gentleman saying how the movie was boring and his 20 something son saying how it was bad cause "too much thinking involved." Not to sound presumpuous, but I don't understand how people can say such things when a movie tries to propose grander ideas or themes. Are people really not interested the real possibility that one day humans will need to venture out into the unknown? Or how the effect gravity has on space and time and ramifications of such things as singularities or worm hole or whatever. Of course anyone can shrug and say "pfft, yeah like that would happen." But at least its trying to show and propose some ideas that at least stimulate mentally. Probably not enough action and explosions. I really dont know.

Actually no, I went into this prepared to love it. Nolan has not disppapointed me before. I had not thought I'd dislike it at all. I was super excited beforehand.

Second, I LOATHE Stanley Kubrick, and I REALLY hate 2001. I can recognize why it's considered a good film, and I can recognize what's good about it...but it's not remotely on any kind of pedestal to me and never has. The only Kubrick movie I can watch without wincing is A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.

I'm pretty sure that the 5th dimension they were peddling was love, not in a direct way (as the 5th dimensional beings were humans...) but a roundabout way. The io9 review seems to agree with me on that score, so I'm not the only one who got that impression. That's why there is a whole paragraph of Anne Hathaway's dialogue about how "love" is quantifiable.

And as to your last paragraph, I'm not sure why it bothers you so much that others interpret a film differently to you. Not everyone is looking to have their mind expanded when going to a film. That should be neither here nor there for your enjoyment of it. And I don't think it has anything to do with their wants about humaniity and the stars...it just means they didn't feel like being cerebral about it on a theorhetical physics level on a Friday night out at the movies. Nothing wrong with that.

EW kind of agrees on the "love" thing too...and says it better than I can: http://popwatch.ew.c...plot-explained/

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 November 2014 - 02:39 PM

#19 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 09 November 2014 - 03:51 PM

Intersteller spoilers

Spoiler

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 09 November 2014 - 05:42 PM

#20 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:13 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 November 2014 - 02:29 PM, said:

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 09 November 2014 - 04:01 AM, said:

Interstellar.

Some Spoliers.

Actually no, I went into this prepared to love it. Nolan has not disppapointed me before. I had not thought I'd dislike it at all. I was super excited beforehand.

Second, I LOATHE Stanley Kubrick, and I REALLY hate 2001. I can recognize why it's considered a good film, and I can recognize what's good about it...but it's not remotely on any kind of pedestal to me and never has. The only Kubrick movie I can watch without wincing is A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.

I'm pretty sure that the 5th dimension they were peddling was love, not in a direct way (as the 5th dimensional beings were humans...) but a roundabout way. The io9 review seems to agree with me on that score, so I'm not the only one who got that impression. That's why there is a whole paragraph of Anne Hathaway's dialogue about how "love" is quantifiable.

And as to your last paragraph, I'm not sure why it bothers you so much that others interpret a film differently to you. Not everyone is looking to have their mind expanded when going to a film. That should be neither here nor there for your enjoyment of it. And I don't think it has anything to do with their wants about humaniity and the stars...it just means they didn't feel like being cerebral about it on a theorhetical physics level on a Friday night out at the movies. Nothing wrong with that.

EW kind of agrees on the "love" thing too...and says it better than I can: http://popwatch.ew.c...plot-explained/

Fair Enou.

From your link: "love is a literal potent physical concept, strong enough to bend the elaborate cosmic architecture of wormholes and black holes and far-flung star systems"

It seems like because of Hathaway's little theory that automatically it has to be the answer to the movie. It probably hurt the movie more than it helped. I dont want to agree that love is the thing that physically lets us transcend time and space because if it is, and that is exactly what the movie is trying to tell us then yes, I will have to agree that it is cheesy and bad. I still believe that love and the need for self preservation for us humans is the what drives us and motivates us to allow the transcendence of time and space and whatever else that happened to physically allow him to interact is actually not quantified and a complete mystery. You obviously cannot portray what will physically happen in a singularity but it is not far-fetched to conclude that if the possibility arose where a human was in a position to manipulate time and whatever else that emotion and human condition would be a factor in such manipulation.

Now I see a lot of folks saying the score was terrible. I didnt see anything really wrong with it but I know that at least once it did take me completely out of the movie so next time I watch it I will need to keep that in mind.
No Touchy.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users