• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#17901 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:24 AM

View PostAbyss, on 05 September 2015 - 04:08 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 05 September 2015 - 01:10 AM, said:

I stopped doing the knee-clenches in the last year. In hindsight that was an idiotic thing to do. I have also gained some weight ...

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I have some experience with the general field and personal experience with a knee injury, and I would bet a fair glob of dollars this is the reason and answer to your problem.

Sigh... That's what I was afraid of

#17902 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 September 2015 - 05:13 AM

I still can't get the image of that little Syrian boy out of my head. I don't even know if I want to, if that makes sense.

I don't know why it affected me so much when I've seen video of worse, but it did. Maybe because my boy is about the same age.

You can be as logical (or callous) about the reasons his family was in that boat as you want, but if you aren't affected by what happened to him then there is something fundamentally wrong with you.

If I had shit-tins of resources I'd be funding proper safe zones in neighbouring countries for these people. So they could be safe, housed, fed and processed quickly in order to get them to a country accepting refugess so they could wait out this horrible business in a place they could have as normal a family life as possible. Even if it's a culture quite different from their own. Because when you get down to it, most people would be grateful to just raise their families and work etc in peace, I don't think the surrounding culture matters too much.

Could I take such people into my home? I'd like to think I could/would. Maybe a couple of kids. A family would be a squeeze but maybe doable for a while, with some sort of Govt assistance. And my Arabic is ... nonexistent. :p

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 05 September 2015 - 05:14 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#17903 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:59 AM

Yeah the problem is that the government's are all arguing about whether they should or shouldn't do something about it. It's way past that now. They should all be collaborating with each other to properly process & administrate them - refugee centres all over the place where they can register, get some direction/guidance & food vouchers etc. And not just Europe but those super rich countries in the Middle East too.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#17904 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 September 2015 - 01:00 PM

I do agree that the other Middle east countries need to do more, even if it's just stop funding the various arsehole factions (I'm looking at YOU, Saudi Arabia ... for one) and take a more unified role in smashing IS flat. Actually, we could all do more to smash those fuckers flat. But then that just helps other buttholes like the Assad regime etc.

Sometimes I think that whole part of the world is just one big ghastly Gordian knot, but we don't have an Alexander handy to cut it. Maybe we westerners should just pull out and use 2nd echelon aid to get the locals to sort it out among themselves, but again that opens up another can of worms because from what I can tell, everyone over there hates everyone else's guts and are pretty much incapable of cooperation. Plus there's our responsibility (at least in part) for how this part of the world got so bad. From what I can tell though, the only time you have stability in that part of the world, it's at the expense of freedom.

Or is that a western conceit?

Is freedom (as we define it) simply incompatible with the dominant ideology of the region?

Perusing some comments sections earlier in news websites, I saw a common refrain that maybe all the fighting age men from these areas should take up arms against IS etc? To which I thought "Yes, but who do they fight FOR?" Assad? The hopelessly corrupt and incompetent Iraq govt? Al-Quaeda's surrogates? Are there any moderate groups left? The Shiite militias in Iraq are already a problem, and are only going to get worse the more they are relied on.

What's to be done? I sure as shit don't have the answers.

Apologies that this is in this thread and not in the DB, but it's more "messing" for me than DB-oriented.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#17905 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 06 September 2015 - 07:38 PM

It's nothing on the level that you guys have been chatting about, but I got transferred to a different location for work a couple months ago. Now I'm much happier here then at the last couple stores, but it has a couple drawbacks that have really been eating at me. Firstly, I now have about an hour commute every day. The big issue though, is that apparently my ex-wife lives close to this store. It is not uncommon for me to turn around from a task and see her a couple feet away from me. To top it off, we don't exactly get on well (it ended very poorly). I just hate having to be paranoid that she's going to show up at my work all the time.

#17906 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:19 PM

Podcasts. Podcasts are great for long commutes.

Ex wives are awful. No advice there. Plant military secrets on her and call the CIA maybe.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#17907 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:20 PM

I've been doing audiobooks so far, but I've burned out on then a little. Are there any podcasts in general you'd recommend? I know is like jumping into the deep end with those.

#17908 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:57 PM

The obvious ones: WTF, This American Life, and Radiolab. Check em out, see if they stick.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#17909 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 06 September 2015 - 10:43 PM

Will do, thanks. Now to find incriminating evidence...

#17910 User is offline   Gredfallan Ale 

• "But it's turtles all the way down"
  • Interests:Archery, cycling, science, & philosophy.

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:20 AM

View PostBriar King, on 06 September 2015 - 11:03 PM, said:

Are you shitting me... Dismembered child body parts found in Chicago park. Motherfucker they better find and kill the responsible party.

Isn't that a bit too easy for them?
'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that's all.'

#17911 User is offline   Lost Marine 

• Fist

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:19 PM

View PostGredfallan Ale, on 07 September 2015 - 09:20 AM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 06 September 2015 - 11:03 PM, said:

Are you shitting me... Dismembered child body parts found in Chicago park. Motherfucker they better find and kill the responsible party.

Isn't that a bit too easy for them?

It's not about them. You can't ever inflict the suffering someone like that deserves without destroying your own humanity. You can only remove them from society as quickly as possible and ensure there are no repeat offenses. Same as a mad dog, put them down as fast as you can.

#17912 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:10 PM

Alternatively, put them in prison forever - a place which by all accounts is no picnic - and not become murderers yourselves while accomplishing the same thing and also not killing any innocent people who slip through the cracks.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#17913 User is offline   Lost Marine 

• Fist

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:22 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 September 2015 - 05:10 PM, said:

Alternatively, put them in prison forever - a place which by all accounts is no picnic - and not become murderers yourselves while accomplishing the same thing and also not killing any innocent people who slip through the cracks.

I was not advocating street justice. Just moving them through the system in the correct manner. That does assume the justice system works correctly which as you correctly state is not always the case.

Honestly I think locking someone up for the rest of their lives is less humane than an execution. If they're such a threat they can't be released back into society eventually than why hold them for 30 to 50 years.

Also to keep with the theme of the thread it's Tuesday but feels like a Monday and I have the motivation for neither.

#17914 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:25 PM

I just saw on Reddit that an elderly couple had forgotten their infant grandson in their car for two hours. The baby did not amke it. I was wondering whether this is a punishable offence in the States? Does it fall under criminal neglect or is it manslaughter?

#17915 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 September 2015 - 03:07 PM

View PostAndorion, on 08 September 2015 - 02:25 PM, said:

I just saw on Reddit that an elderly couple had forgotten their infant grandson in their car for two hours. The baby did not amke it. I was wondering whether this is a punishable offence in the States? Does it fall under criminal neglect or is it manslaughter?

Dunno about any given state but i'm pretty sure there have been criminal negligence cases on this exact 'child left in hot car' type thing in the past.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#17916 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:28 AM

It does get prosecuted, but it's generally on a case by case basis.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#17917 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:45 AM

I am guessing you don't like the buzzcut look?

Anyway, this is for you lot who were complaining about not having 18C in September. Its September and we had 36.8 C. Thats 98.2 F. And I have to be out walking in that this afternoon.

#17918 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:30 AM

I'm rapidly approaching a breaking point where I'll be ditching half my polish "friends". It's been 70 years since the war, but it seems the nazis survived.

I don't want to live here anymore.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#17919 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:59 AM

View PostBriar King, on 09 September 2015 - 05:06 AM, said:

No I actually like my buzz look and so do most other people but I haven't had hair down to my shoulders since 10th grade in 97. I rather liked it but I was fed up feeling like a dog scratching myself.

And here was me thinking that the Buzz look was a domed glass helmet, wings, and deadly lasers.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#17920 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:19 PM

View PostMaark, on 09 September 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 09 September 2015 - 05:06 AM, said:

No I actually like my buzz look and so do most other people but I haven't had hair down to my shoulders since 10th grade in 97. I rather liked it but I was fed up feeling like a dog scratching myself.

And here was me thinking that the Buzz look was a domed glass helmet, wings, and deadly lasers.

Judges?

2 points.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 1523 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Nicodimas