• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CG, chaos, relationship?

#1 User is offline   Venerus 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:44 PM

Really, really sorry if this has been brought up before; I couldn't find anything in the backlogs (although my searching isn't so great). Long post incoming...

Anyway, this came up in the prediction thread and got kind of lost, so I wanted to know what people thought of the theory that the CG is from a/the Warren of Chaos, as are the jade statues? Here's what I got:

From MoI, Brood:

This strides too close a path to the Crippled God for it to be accidental, Rake. The Chained One's poison is that of Chaos, after all.

From MoI, Bauchelain:

Ah. There are many flavours to chaotic power. That which assails the warrens has little to do with the elements of the Warren of Chaos with which I am involved.

Kruppe listening in on Silverfox:

'No, Summoner. The renegades have found another path, which as yet remains hidden from us. They have, on occasion, employed the Warren of Chaos in their flight.'
Chaos? I wonder, to whom do these renegade T'lan Imass now kneel? No, muse on it not. Still a distant threat, Kruppe suspects. All in its own time…

So, it sounds like the CG at the very least has access to the Warren of Chaos, as well as the powers of chaos itself (possibly the inter-warren chaos, as distinct from the Warren of Chaos).

Then there's this from Anomander talking to WJ about Heboric and Fener's fall:

In any case, those severed hands were as poison to Fener. He could not touch them, nor could he remove them from his realm. He burned the tattoos announcing his denial upon the high priest's skin, and so sealed the virulent power of the hands, at least for the time being. And that should have been that. Eventually, the priest would die, and his spirit would come to Fener to retrieve what had been cruelly and wrongfully taken from him. That spirit would then become the weapon of Fener's wrath, his vengeance upon the priests of the fouled temple, and indeed upon the Claw and the Empress herself. A dark storm awaited the Malazan Empire, Whiskeyjack.'
'But something's happened.'
'Aye. The High Priest has, by design or chance, come into contact with the Warren of Chaos—an object, perhaps, forged within that warren. The protective seal around his severed hands was obliterated by that vast, uncontrolled surge of power. And, finding Fener, those hands… pushed.'

and from DHG, Felisin:

Have you come from the Abyss, Fener? It's said your sacred warren borders Chaos itself. Fener? Are you among us now?

Certainly gives them an inlet...

So the jade statues are an object linked to or forged within the Warren of Chaos... by the CG? From HoC, Heboric sees them sailing through space, through the rent the CG was brought from. At the least, I think they come from the same place.

This leads me to believe that the rent might be a tear into the (or a) Warren of Chaos, a true gate. Only a few other characters have had anything to do with Chaos -- Togg, Hairlock, Bauchelain, maybe the tenescowri? -- and of them, only Togg seems to be left sane (well as sane as a dog can be) so maybe the reason it's relatively unmentioned is because there are almost no practitioners. Without practitioners, maybe it's harder to be a god. Er, that is, maybe a God of Chaos would soon end up w/no believers and so pass away naturally. I don't know, rambling now.

There are all those comments about the alien-ness/foreign nature of the CG that makes it seem like he shouldn't have just come from a common warren like this... but the theory seems to have at least some weight. There's some kind of connection there, anyway.

Anyway, this was all brought up because I thought the scene with Rath'Fener might be leading in to a better understanding of the CG, or at least beings from ... wherever he came from:

Rath'Fener's body jerked, a throat-tearing scream erupting from him, his arms snapping as if yanked by invisible, unhuman hands. Dark tattoos appeared on the man's skin, but not those belonging to Fener—for the god had not been the one to claim Rath'Fener's severed hands. Writhing, alien script swarmed his flesh as the unknown claimant made its mark, claimed possession of the man's mortal soul. Words that darkened like burns.
Blisters rose, then broke, spurting thick, yellow liquid.
Screams of unbearable, unimaginable pain filled the plaza, the body on the flagstones spasming as muscle and fat dissolved beneath the skin, then boiled, breaking through.

(skip)

I have you now, Rath'Fener. You are found, and so I… answer.
Suddenly, beyond the pain, a mutual awareness—an alien presence. Immense power. Not malign, yet profoundly… different. From that presence: storm-tossed confusion, anguish. Seeking to make of the unexpected gift of a mortal's two hands… something of beauty. Yet that man's flesh could not contain that gift.
Horror within the storm. Horror… and grief.
Ah, even gods weep. Commend yourself, then, to my spirit. I will have your pain as well, sir.
The alien presence recoiled, but it was too late. Itkovian's embrace offered its immeasurable gift—
—and was engulfed. He felt his soul dissolving, tearing apart—too vast!
There was, beneath the cold faces of gods, warmth. Yet it was sorrow in darkness, for it was not the gods themselves who were unfathomable. It was mortals. As for the gods—they simply paid.
We—we are the rack upon which they are stretched.
Then the sensation was gone, fleeing him as the alien god succeeded in extracting itself, leaving Itkovian with but fading echoes of a distant world's grief—a world with its own atrocities, layer upon layer through a long, tortured history. Fading… then gone.
Leaving him with heart-rending knowledge.

Esp with the word "alien" used so much to describe the CG and the "presence", and Kulp (from DHG) about Heboric: "A battle of warrens - Fener's own, linked by one ghostly hand, the other ensnared by Otataral, yet waxing nonetheless - a warren I can't recognize, a force alien to every sense I possess" -- I can't believe the use of the word "alien" is unintentional.

#2 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:13 PM

Well I'm definitely not convinced that there is any difference between 'chaos' and 'the warren of chaos'... to me it is all part of one big chaotic layer which was around looong before the CG entered the realm. Chaos is described in a multitude of ways by a multitude of characters, displaying that is not an easily defined thingamajig. Some conceive it as a particular warren, while others as the space between warrens, and others as a place of unlimited creative capability. It would seem that chaos by its very nature defies having an easily made definition, as that would be an imposition of order.

While I can't deny that the CG sure does use chaos quite a lot, this seems to me more to be because he doesn't have direct access to the world's other warrens, which are guarded by their respective ascendants. Additionally, the usage of chaos is often seem to damage the wielder, and this would be shunned by most wielders, but embraced by the CG's forces, as the damaging creates yet more flaws in the wielder. Chaos, it seems, is not hard to access for any who have at least a basic ability to manipulate magic.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:15 PM

Here's a list of threads, some are of course outdated.

http://malazanworld....read.php?t=8306
http://malazanworld....read.php?t=8390
http://malazanworld.com/forums/showthread....ht=Crippled+God

This might be relevant, the thread where all warrens are discussed:

I couldn't find the Crippled God aspect of Love thread :D

#4 User is offline   Venerus 

• High Fist

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:09 PM

May I ask, what search criteria did you use? That's an awesome list.

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:11 PM

"Crippled God" and then I limited the search to the the Reapers Gale and Bonehunters forum and to only include threads with more than 15 replies.

#6 User is offline   Jason 

• Corporal

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:29 PM

Not that I necessarily agree with it.

I'm thinking that maybe those magi who brought down the CG used Chaos to make the gate from the CGs world rather than bringing him straight out of Chaos.

The "forging", methinks, is in reference to the effect of passing through the gate of chaos has on the Jade-Dudes.

#7 User is offline   Zorland 

• Corporal

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:02 AM

So the jade statues are an object linked to or forged within the Warren of Chaos... by the CG? From HoC, Heboric sees them sailing through space, through the rent the CG was brought from. At the least, I think they come from the same place.

I thought the same thing when I read Draconus' conversation with Paran in Dragnipur. This conversation does a good job of clearing up Chaos, the warren of chaos, and the crippled god too.

MoI 971

His (Paran's) gaze followed those tracks, back, to the horizon.
Where chaos raged. Filling the sky, a storm such as he had never seen before. Rapacious hunger poured from it. Frenzied anticipation.
Lost memories.
Power born from rendered souls.
Malice and desire, a presence almost self-aware, with hundreds of thousands of eyes all fixed on the wagon behind Paran.

#8 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:28 PM

I just want to say one thing... I was rereading GotM recently and Crone mentioned she and her murder of crows have their own agenda...
I wonder....
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:34 PM

Jason;278877 said:

Not that I necessarily agree with it.

I'm thinking that maybe those magi who brought down the CG used Chaos to make the gate from the CGs world rather than bringing him straight out of Chaos.

The "forging", methinks, is in reference to the effect of passing through the gate of chaos has on the Jade-Dudes.

Interesting. It may be a GotMism, but it's been suggested that Chaos fills the space between warrens. So perhaps they didn't so much use it as access it.

And since it exists in more than one space, other worlds may have developed other ways of dealing with it, henace, the Jade Giants.

- Abyss, ho ho ho, Jade Giant...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10 User is offline   Venerus 

• High Fist

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:36 PM

In support of both your points (abyss and jason), there's definitely a strange time-space relationship with Chaos. Eg: Toc the Yougin' getting thrown all around, Togg losing sense of time, etc. Makes sense that Chaos (the Warren or just the stuff) would be involved getting to/from distant places/times.

#11 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:41 PM

isn't the whole point of Chaos that it can do anthing if you 'go deep enough' (the way it's described with Hairlock in GotM) or access it sufficiently...

#12 User is offline   Nequam 

• High Fist

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

Hmmm, chaos certainly is a mysterious thing in this world.
I like to think that chaos is what was always there (the worlds and warrens humans are from and use. Elder Warrens have there own story) until, somehow, the elder gods were created/came from somewhere. Before them, chaos was everything in one, then the EGs took aspects for themselves or some such thing and instigated 'order' which was a lot nicer than chaos. :p

This of course has nothing to back it up, so it's going under the banner of a crazy theory.

#13 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:05 PM

My personal theory is that Chaos in the Malazan Book is the same as outerspace.

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:52 PM

I'm not sure outerspace could have brainfried Icarium. Vacuum torqued him into hamburger, yes, but not the whole amnesia thing.

Plus, based on the whole lizards-on-the-moon thing, outerspace in the malazan world may not even be like outerspace.

- Abyss, the final frontier...

#15 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:55 PM

Abyss;279335 said:

I'm not sure outerspace could have brainfried Icarium. Vacuum torqued him into hamburger, yes, but not the whole amnesia thing.

Plus, based on the whole lizards-on-the-moon thing, outerspace in the malazan world may not even be like outerspace.

- Abyss, the final frontier...

Have you seen Event Horizon? Bad things are out there...

#16 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:32 PM

Aptorian;279336 said:

Have you seen Event Horizon? Bad things are out there...

I refuse to believe some poor knockoff of one of Clive Barker's mildly less perverted ideas is responsible for Icarium's being a few dozen cards short of a full deck. He doesn't even have nipple pierces. That we know of.

- Abyss, ....what?

#17 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:41 PM

Icarium's sickness is a taint/residue from the death of the Azath...

#18 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:45 PM

So the outer space theory lives on! Yay!
_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#19 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:16 PM

I assumed Chaos was less like outerspace and more like the inside of a blackhole... A place where time, space, nothing exists as we know it, as such...
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#20 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:28 PM

Well, Chaos is supposedly empty, but it's a dangerous place that corrupts and kills you. Much like vacuum, absolute zero and cosmic radiation would ruin your day in outerspace.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users