Malazan Empire: Trull's spearwielding skills Vs Rhulad's unearthly strength - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trull's spearwielding skills Vs Rhulad's unearthly strength

#41 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:15 AM

I think that this comparisons are pointless unless "fight participants" already clashed. Who would bet on Whiskeyjack against "so-good-Kallor"? If not leg, he could killed him (and yes, anyone could say - if not the spearhead...:D) - and thats the point... frakin leg, frakin spearhead, frakin state of mind of one fighter... well, these fighters fight according one Golden Rule = story requirements:)

oh, we can assume in fight RG spoiler:
Spoiler

And for Trulls skill, it depends what ve see in "stand fast", spear is great defensive weapon, I think he is able to stand against best swordsmans of Wu in defese but coming to attack, thats whole different story...who knows?:tongue:

This post has been edited by Silencer: 13 September 2009 - 06:26 AM
Reason for edit: Added spoiler tags - this is the MT forum

Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#42 User is offline   maro 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:40 AM

View PostWhiskeyjack, on 06 March 2008 - 03:08 PM, said:

In a duel, Rhulad would win simply because he is faster and stronger, and spears are hardly optimal for duels.

Actually that's not true. I actually train in a sword based Martial art and it's well known that in a Spear Vs Sword fight, the spearman has the advantage. Swords are great (hence why I study them!) but they don't have the advantage over Spear.

#43 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:01 PM

View Postmaro, on 08 December 2009 - 05:40 AM, said:

In a duel, Rhulad would win simply because he is faster and stronger, and spears are hardly optimal for duels.

Actually that's not true. I actually train in a sword based Martial art and it's well known that in a Spear Vs Sword fight, the spearman has the advantage. Swords are great (hence why I study them!) but they don't have the advantage over Spear.

This is true. If I've learned anything from Fire Emblem games: spear beats sword, sword beats axe, and axe beats spear.

#44 User is offline   maro 

• Fist

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:21 AM

View PostTarcanus, on 08 December 2009 - 04:01 PM, said:

This is true. If I've learned anything from Fire Emblem games: spear beats sword, sword beats axe, and axe beats spear.

That's me in my avatar - I train in Japanese Sword. Sojutsu (Spear) is a Highly developed art. I've sparred a few times against spears and even a novice can hold his own. It takes big balls to try and get inside someone's guard.

Fantasy authors kind of get hung up on swords (Don't get me wrong, I love them myself) as the ultimate weapon. They aren't. It's nice to see more talk of Maces, Axes etc which are real armoured combat weapons. Crossbows as well.

It seems that Steven knows a bit about sword work as his description of stop blocks are the most accurate I've read.

This post has been edited by maro: 09 December 2009 - 12:23 AM

#45 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:43 PM

View Postmaro, on 09 December 2009 - 12:21 AM, said:

View PostTarcanus, on 08 December 2009 - 04:01 PM, said:

That's me in my avatar - I train in Japanese Sword. Sojutsu (Spear) is a Highly developed art. I've sparred a few times against spears and even a novice can hold his own. It takes big balls to try and get inside someone's guard.

Beyond that even, there's of course different kinds of swords and spears, right? A chinese broadsword will have a hell of a time getting into a spearman's guard since the spearman can just keep stepping away and the dao can't do much but parry. One of those huge meter-and-a-half miao-dao's or giant katanas would have a much better change against the spear, though, since they can put a lot more force into parrying it (or just breaking the haft) and have enough reach that they dont have to get in so close.

Of course that then leads into differnet lengths and kinds of spears too...

All in all, it's complicated :p

Fantasy authors kind of get hung up on swords (Don't get me wrong, I love them myself) as the ultimate weapon. They aren't. It's nice to see more talk of Maces, Axes etc which are real armoured combat weapons. Crossbows as well.

It seems that Steven knows a bit about sword work as his description of stop blocks are the most accurate I've read.

Totally agree with this, it is very nice to have characters who don't use swords, though I wish we'd get more descriptions of the malaz regular infantry doing their thing, with advancing shield walls + spears.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#46 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:20 PM

It's one of his favourite participant sports apparently :p
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#47 User is offline   maro 

• Fist

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:59 PM

View PostHetan, on 09 December 2009 - 11:20 PM, said:

It's one of his favourite participant sports apparently :p

Interesting - are there any interviews where he mentions that?

#48 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

View PostNequam, on 06 March 2008 - 03:20 PM, said:

QUOTE Taking away Rhulad's sword, he is basically just an unblooded. Any kind of fighting style or experience would be based on his borrowed strength and speed.

In a duel, Rhulad would win simply because he is faster and stronger, and spears are hardly optimal for duels

That is true as far as normal spear-weilders go, but Trull is an exception. After every book he is in (but this is the MT forum, so you probably haven't seen him yet in the other books) I would say he is one of the highest skilled melee comabtants in the series.

However, I still Ruhladb think would win, because you have to factor in trull's love for his brother, and he is able to come back from the dead.

Yeah, not spoiling anything if you've not read past MT but Trull IS a monster with a spear... and not too shabby with a sword either. It's Fear who concluded he would eventually lose to Brys at the end, Trull was just... well shocked, but I feel that Trull as a character is ultimately very very humble and may potentially not see himself as skilled as he actually is, if that makes sense... If you've read his moments in TBH and RG you'll know that he shocks a fair few high profile peeps :p

Plus Rhulad would get pwnd :) I kinda like Rhulad and feel for him, but despite him being a beast... He'd still get stomped

#49 User is offline   James Hutton 

• High Scholar of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

Are you fond of dead stuff in general Vaddon Ra, or just this thread :)?
Secret message: "Keep up the good work, yours truly"

#50 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:58 PM

Dancin', prancin', necromancin'!
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users