• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Good Guy/Bad Guy

#21 User is offline   Iconik 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:47 PM

Well, I think it has more to do with questions I have about certain things that happened in the book that may or may not be open to interpretation and not so much that I missed something.

I knew WHO Coll was but had no idea why it was important to the main story. It just seemed like some little side story which ended up confusing me.

#22 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:49 PM

Then a warning...there are a crap load of side stories in the coming books;)
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#23 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 01 February 2008 - 04:35 AM

I'd take Jen's advice.

I ripped through the first couple books...and was confused...after a re-read things become much clearer.

#24 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:34 AM

Actually wasn't Tool still serving the T'lan Imass, only he was clanless. I thought it was the Empire, using some kind of leverage from the notion that the emperor had sat on the throne, to ask the Logros (or someone) to free the Tyrant. They sent Tool.

It is kind of stupid though that anyone would willingly free a Tyrant. Maybe the Imass wanted the Tyrant dead and not just burried, and they knew Rake would have a chance of killing it... along with Tools assistance or course, he did carve Raest up good I think.

#25 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:37 AM

I think Tool figured that the Tyrant was going to get freed, one way or another. He probably calculated that if he were involved, added to the fact that Rake and or the Dragons would fight him, there'd be a chance to take Raest out for good.

He explains it to Toc, as far as I can remember, wish I had GotM on me.

#26 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:40 AM

I don't have my book either, but I'm sure he tells Lorn that he came on the behest of the clans wishes.

#27 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:45 AM

The last three posts have triggered my memory. These are, probably, the reasons why Tool freed Raest. I would reiterate what has already been said but instead I will just add my voice to the approval.

I was trying to find a quote but I'm busy.

#28 User is offline   Iconik 

• Lieutenant

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:41 PM

OK. I started rereading last night. Guess my copy of DG that I bought last week will just have to sit for awhile.

#29 User is offline   weaverbird05 

• Corporal

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:16 PM

I don't know if I really like this ranking system - cause a lot of the rankings you feel are true in GotM turn out to be not as clear-cut once you read on and learn more about their backgrounds/motivations. So......yeah.....

#30 User is offline   Cazriel 

• Recruit

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:08 AM

I think that the reason its hard to classify good or bad is because SE writes Characters and he lets us know enough about the characters so that we understand the reasons behind the choices that they make.

So to the malazan's rake seems pretty bad, but to the people of Pale he is a good guy,

No characters are written believing that they are bad in SE books they all feel totally justified doing the thing that they do.

this is one of the things which set SE apart there is no token bad guys who are bad for the sake of needing a bad guy.
even Raest seems to have his own set of reasons for what he does.
He views mortals like people view ants.

so there is no bad or good because there are always two sides.

"the push or the pull" depends on where your standing.

#31 User is offline   The Tyrant Lizard 

• First Sword

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:26 AM

A bit like the real world then.

Even the some of the biggest twats in the world had personal justifications for what they did. Hitler thought he was a good guy. So did Napolean - everyone esle thought they were evil.
I want to die the way my dad died, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

#32 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:32 AM

I didn't think Napoleon was evil. Stupid for trying take Russia, yes, but not evil... more like awesome.

#33 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:01 PM

Not as awsome as Wellington. Not because of Waterloo, but because he invented a great pair of boots.
Get to the chopper!

#34 User is offline   SonOfDarkness 

• Lord of Moons Spawn
  • Mother Darks Favoured Son

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:39 PM

Actually you guys are all wrong!

Rake is black as night!! Geeeezusss!!! Hes the son of darkness, Mother " DARKS " favoured.

Rake is as black as they come.It is an insult to call him Grey!! My god!!!

:D :D

#35 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:31 PM

......did you eat sugar cubes for the past few hours? :D

Rake is a grey character, but I think SE meant for him to be more ambiguous than he really is.

The Crippled God is a "grey" as well IMO.

#36 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:47 PM

yes, "Black" here meaning "evil", for the Rake fan-boys..

Rake ain't evil. He's def. not "good"
Ergo, he's "gray"
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#37 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:39 AM

All discussion aside, I don't think many people in this series can be called black or white. The best you can hope for is light gray or dark gray. The people who look evil on the surface have justifying motivations or redeeming qualities, the people who look great do some screwed up stuff sometimes. It's a mistake to pigeonhole anyone.
Error: Signature not valid

#38 User is offline   blewin 

• High Fist

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:13 PM

Iconik;250477 said:

Without giving TOO much away (don't want to spoil things) list all the major players in GotM and whether you think they were outright bad guys or good guys. Some characters, like Sorry, will be easy but, characters like Rake confuse the hell out of me.

Go!

easier to decide if you mean just in GotM. Because with Sorry... her character changes throughout the series - well, like many other. That's what I love about SE's writing. He's really good at changing your view on a character and making you turn from hating one to loving one and vice versa (or both, not sure whether you ought to twist the character's gut or give him an award!).

#39 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:19 PM

About Tool freeding the Tyrant I remember that when he discovers that it is Raest he hesitates but then figures it wont change anythig because Lorn would free him anyway.

Oh I remember someone saying that Raest was the only black character in GotM. But what about Hairlock?(retoric question)
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#40 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:32 PM

Hairlock was driven by a thirst for revenge against Tay and the empire... and seeking power of course.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users