Malazan Empire: "Wizard's First Rule" TV show. - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Wizard's First Rule" TV show.

#1 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:26 AM

In news that at least a couple of people were waiting for:Terry Goodkind's oevre may be translated into a tv showThe mind boggles
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:37 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

*wrings hands and begins keening*

I'd rather burn my eyes out and scour of my ears than watch anything by Goodkind sanctimonius nonsense
I AM A TWAT

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:54 AM

The mind boggles...

Raimi called Goodkind a "brilliant author" and said he's a big fan of the books, which he read with his family.

What kind of monster whould read Goodkind to his children?

I liked the evil dead series, but this is unacceptable *releases the chocolate baby ninja seals of death*

#4 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:33 AM

I suspect the freakier details of the, rather creepy IMO, BDSM subplots won't make it to the screen. I would hope, of course, that nothing at all makes it to the screen, but I'm probably not going to be that lucky.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:34 PM

If they are going to the trouble of making a screen adaptation, I'd much rather see WOT made into a movie. That would be sweet
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#6 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:43 PM

Fucking hell. Why? I mean seriously?!

I see one silver lining here....Goodkind is a prick. We know this. So perhaps if this all gets underway then he will piss off the wrong people and it'll get shitcanned before they get it off the ground.

Sigh. Why can't they adapt GOOD fantasy?

At least we seem to still have ASOIAF HBO series to come yet.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:58 PM

I suppose there's a difference between good fantasy and fantasy you can adapt to film though.

I think most would agree that a film of MBotF would be a pile of steaming turd unless it was like 20 hours long per book...and it would need to be (minimum) to incorporate all of the characters, intertwined plotlines and development...which are all necessary to the telling of SE's story. Removing any of the story would make it like a harry potter movie that just touches on the highlights without much consideration to the flow of the story. When I think about it, WoT has so much shit going on in it, it would likely end up sucking on film.

Something like LOTR adapted well because you really only need to tell the story of the hobbits to entertain a moviegoing audience. While the other stuff in the LOTR books was necessary for development of the world and the overall epic feel of the story, a lot was neatly excised from the screen adaptation to keep the length down and the epic-ness was described more visually (battles, giant statues, ruins, landscapes etc...).

I'd say same goes for song of ice and fire. You can easily convey a lot of meaning from the books visually (castles, battles, the wall etc) and leave it to the dialogue, of which there is an abundance in the books, to tell the story.

Maybe same goes for goodkind's stuff just lends itself to screenplay better than others...I dunno, I started to read some of his stuff and never really got into it.

does that make any sense?
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#8 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:00 PM

Well the one possibly good thing is that there's the possibility the TV Series might actually improve on the books. Given their quality, that's not going to be particularly difficult, and there's the faintest of faint chances that something enjoyable might result. We'll just have to wait and see (or not see, as the case may be).

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:05 PM

cerveza_fiesta;249742 said:

I suppose there's a difference between good fantasy and fantasy you can adapt to film though.

I think most would agree that a film of MBotF would be a pile of steaming turd unless it was like 20 hours long per book...and it would need to be (minimum) to incorporate all of the characters, intertwined plotlines and development...which are all necessary to the telling of SE's story. Removing any of the story would make it like a harry potter movie that just touches on the highlights without much consideration to the flow of the story. When I think about it, WoT has so much shit going on in it, it would likely end up sucking on film.

And yet could you imagine the guys that's making the convoluted scripts for things like Heroes and Lost.

They could do it, one season at a time.

#10 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:31 PM

@apt

Not saying MBotF or WoT couldn't be adapted...but you're right it would definitely have to be serialized (like what they're doing with SoIaF) and the detail would lose most viewers I think. Too bad stuff like that needs to make money...It would be cool if I had gazillions of dollars and just said "I want a wheel of time series...hire whoever you need and spend what you want. I don't care about the profit". You could make some seriously cool stuff that way. No worries about lame product placement, no sponsors to satisfy, no ratings boards to care about, just make something cool and faithful to the book.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#11 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:35 PM

Give it ten years more and for a tenth of the cost a basement full of nerds could make it themselves :)

God bless CGI and the endless possibilities.

#12 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:21 PM

for how much I hate overuse of CGI in films, its really done a lot for television. Sure it looks crappier than hella-expensive CGI like LOTR movies, but it gives them some possibilities beyond dropping a huge bomb on "real" special effects, and makes for much better backdrops / scenery (thinking about HBO shows like Rome and deadwood),
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#13 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:42 PM

Indeed. I wouldn't mind them making something ala Starship Troopers Roughnecks or Beowulf if that could get the story told.

Still you need human actors to actually get the emotional blows of the books. I wouldn't be very touched by a CGI Itkovian going "I'm not yet done".

#14 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:44 PM

RAPTOR GAZE!

Who is going to be Richard Rahl? He will never, ever, get another acting job again...
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#15 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:47 PM

There was talk of getting bruce campbell to star as Richard Rahl in another thread, because it's raimi making the series.

It would be sooo cool to have Campbell as "The bringer of death and bad dialogue"

#16 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:48 PM

Just a warning - if this thread is to be brought down to a bashing of TG I'll close it. We have a place for that already and as much as I hate to keep it open it's there. You may continue your current discussion...I'm going to go an prepare for the imminent blood from Abyss's eyes.
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#17 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:50 PM

Aptorian;249916 said:

There was talk of getting bruce campbell to star as Richard Rahl in another thread, because it's raimi making the series.

It would be sooo cool to have Campbell as "The bringer of death and bad dialogue"

Would that make it 'Kahlan knew this man... because of his RAPTOR CHIN!'?

I love the mighty Chinned One.

Anyway, Jeni, prepare a swab for his ears, if he has to listen to the dialogue he might bleed from there too. Thank god theres no scent-o-vision yet. (Thank you Leisure Suit Larry 7.)
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#18 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:51 PM

The mods smell blood :folken:

Who could actually play Richard? They mentioned the old hercules and Zena series. It could be cool if the they casted Kevin Zorbo as Richard allthough he reminds me more of the brother, you know the psyco rapist/ Jack the Ripper healer.

#19 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:54 PM

So... what will get the show canceled--kicking a girl in the face or the evil chicken?
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#20 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:55 PM

Ooohh imagine the face-kick done with the evil dead effects... I'd pay real money to see that.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users