Malazan Empire: The Book I bought today is... - Malazan Empire

Jump to content

  • 246 Pages +
  • « First
  • 244
  • 245
  • 246
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Book I bought today is...

#4901 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

  • Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 12,928
  • Joined: 08-October 04
  • Location:T'North

Posted 03 June 2026 - 05:44 PM

View PostAbyss, on 03 June 2026 - 05:31 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 03 June 2026 - 05:24 PM, said:

...
Second purchase - The Tapestry of Fate by Shannon Chakraborty, the sequel to The Adventures of Amina Al Sirafi because ever since I heard there was a sequel, about 20 minutes ago in a different thread, I've wanted it.


you're welcome!

I think it's the same narrators and they were great!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.
1

#4902 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Brother of Yuji
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 23,124
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Shibuya
  • Interests:DoubleStamping. Movies. Reading.

Posted 23 June 2026 - 12:40 PM

I have CJ CHERRYH's FORTRESS IN THE EYE OF TIME on an ebook sale, and the other day I found FORTRESS OF EAGLES and FORTESS OF OWLS (books 2 and 3) hardcover, first editions at the used book store for $5 each.

I've not even started the first one, but that was a solid deal and with great condition 90's era fantasy covers? Sold.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

"Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone." ~Ursula Vernon
0

#4903 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

  • Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 2,560
  • Joined: 10-May 10
  • Location:Westchester, NY

Posted 28 July 2026 - 12:01 AM

Hamilton's The Helium Sea, book 2 of his Exodus duology. This book is heavy for how thick it is! And expensive too — list price is $35!

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 28 July 2026 - 12:01 AM

0

#4904 User is offline   worry 

  • Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 15,000
  • Joined: 24-February 10
  • Location:the buried west

Posted 02 September 2026 - 10:24 PM

Blacktail by Scott Hawkins of Mount Char fame. If you didn't know it was out as of yesterday, now you do. I have a couple things to finish up before I get to it, but it's next in line.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.
3

#4905 User is offline   Tsundoku 

  • A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 5,293
  • Joined: 06-January 03
  • Location:Maison de merde

Posted 03 September 2026 - 09:40 AM

See Reading at t'moment and Imbalance threads. :p

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 03 September 2026 - 09:41 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker
0

#4906 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Brother of Yuji
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 23,124
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Shibuya
  • Interests:DoubleStamping. Movies. Reading.

Posted 03 September 2026 - 11:14 AM

The latest Michael J Sullivan kickstarter is live, this one with a co-writer handling the grim years after the fall of Percepliqius.

https://www.kickstar...&category_id=47
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

"Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone." ~Ursula Vernon
0

#4907 User is offline   worry 

  • Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 15,000
  • Joined: 24-February 10
  • Location:the buried west

Posted 03 September 2026 - 01:57 PM

Dang, those were grim years, I remember them well.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.
0

#4908 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Brother of Yuji
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 23,124
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Shibuya
  • Interests:DoubleStamping. Movies. Reading.

Posted 03 September 2026 - 02:09 PM

View Postworry, on 03 September 2026 - 01:57 PM, said:

Dang, those were grim years, I remember them well.


Supergrim even!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

"Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone." ~Ursula Vernon
0

#4909 User is offline   Macros 

  • D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 9,647
  • Joined: 28-January 08
  • Location:Ulster, disputed zone, British Empire.

Posted 03 September 2026 - 03:53 PM

Thankfully they weren't dark as well
0

#4910 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

  • Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 12,928
  • Joined: 08-October 04
  • Location:T'North

Posted 05 September 2026 - 09:34 AM

So I currently have a few Audible credits spare and I saw an offer on the app that was basically spend 3 credits and get £10 credit for it. Which is great! So I picked up 3 new audiobooks, and now have a tenner to spend on another one!

So I now have "The Spear Cuts Through Water" by Simon Jiminez, "This Kingdom will not Kill Me" by Ilona Andrews (dang it QT!) and also a pre-order of the non fiction book "Live Laugh Love: The Secret History of White Christian Women and the World they Made" by Kristin Kobes du Mez, the author of the scary and brilliant "Jesus and John Wayne". I expect once again to be angered and fascinated in equal measure by this one.

And I need a good one to spend £10 on!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.
1

#4911 User is offline   Mentalist 

  • Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 10,013
  • Joined: 06-June 07
  • Location:'sauga/GTA, City of the Lion
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted Yesterday, 11:17 PM

I was out in the West end of town, and they have a fantastic Chapters there. Though, my God, there's a lot of romantasy on those shelves.


I did pick up a few early gifts for myself
"House of Open Wounds" by Adrian Tchaikovsky- Bk 2 of The Tyrant philosophers
"Play of Shadows" by Sebastien De Castell- because I can never say no to a new light De Castell read.

I also saw that there's another new Dragonlance trilogy by Weiss& Hickman. And apparently, they are going for yet ANOTHER time travel to undo things the new MC doesn't like caper.

Some things really need to end.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.
0

#4912 User is offline   Tsundoku 

  • A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 5,293
  • Joined: 06-January 03
  • Location:Maison de merde

Posted Today, 12:54 AM

View PostMentalist, on 04 October 2026 - 11:17 PM, said:

I was out in the West end of town, and they have a fantastic Chapters there. Though, my God, there's a lot of romantasy on those shelves.


It's the same here. They really need to separate romantasy back out into it's own section, like when they had the "paranormal romance" section back about 10-20 years ago.
It's seriously polluting the SFF section so badly it's hard to find anything decent these days, even if the covers are fairly indicative.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker
0

#4913 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Brother of Yuji
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 23,124
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Shibuya
  • Interests:DoubleStamping. Movies. Reading.

Posted Today, 11:39 AM

View PostMentalist, on 04 October 2026 - 11:17 PM, said:

I was out in the West end of town, and they have a fantastic Chapters there. Though, my God, there's a lot of romantasy on those shelves.



View PostTsundoku, on 05 October 2026 - 12:54 AM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 04 October 2026 - 11:17 PM, said:

I was out in the West end of town, and they have a fantastic Chapters there. Though, my God, there's a lot of romantasy on those shelves.


It's the same here. They really need to separate romantasy back out into it's own section, like when they had the "paranormal romance" section back about 10-20 years ago.
It's seriously polluting the SFF section so badly it's hard to find anything decent these days, even if the covers are fairly indicative.


Nah, that's silly. It's still fantasy, it just has a romance tinge. Some of it is dreck like anything else, but some of it is fine, and they are probably HOLDING up the Fantasy tent right now in physical sales, which is why the stores stock so much of it. We are dinosaurs. This is derigeur right now. There's always going to be something. Fro a really long time post- Potter magic academies and whatnot filled the shelves. You just gotta take more time to look for stuff you'd be into.

View PostMentalist, on 04 October 2026 - 11:17 PM, said:

I also saw that there's another new Dragonlance trilogy by Weiss& Hickman. And apparently, they are going for yet ANOTHER time travel to undo things the new MC doesn't like caper.

Some things really need to end.


Nah, it's not a time travel one and the same vein. It's a re-vamp of the really old Huma & original wizard Magius tale from the early days on Krynn....it does touch on the device of time journeying, but only briefly and not to change anything...the majority of the story is set in the past. I'm fairly certain that Weis & Hickman took the "no time travel" notes from us...I've heard this series is so far much better than Destinies was.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: Today, 11:42 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

"Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone." ~Ursula Vernon
0

Share this topic:


  • 246 Pages +
  • « First
  • 244
  • 245
  • 246
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
2 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

  1. Tiste Simeon,
  2. JPK