• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Book I bought today is...

#4481 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 August 2020 - 03:29 PM

The latest Harper Collins THE HOBBIT Illustrated (Alan Lee) hardcover is out now, and I got a copy for $5 off the cover price! Other than the HomE books I'm missing, this effectively completes my Tolkien collection of the main books anyways.

TRB, did you get this one yet? I know you usually get these releases, so heads up in case you are unaware it was out. :)

Attached File  Hobbit.jpg (67.42K)
Number of downloads: 1

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 19 August 2020 - 03:29 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4482 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 August 2020 - 06:33 PM

Stop it, I have bills to pay

#4483 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 August 2020 - 06:34 PM

View PostMacros, on 19 August 2020 - 06:33 PM, said:

Stop it, I have bills to pay

Me too. Wife happened to be at the book store today to get a gift for our daughter and asked me if I needed anything....and it just came blurting out! I'm not made of stone.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4484 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 August 2020 - 02:51 PM

Conn Igguldens new Book, book one of a new series set in ancient Greece.

got it second hand off Amazon (I know I know)

#4485 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 August 2020 - 06:18 PM

Ooooo, I like his stuff a lot. Let me know how it is!

#4486 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 22 August 2020 - 07:14 PM

Just bought Dust of Dreams on kindle.

My last reread stopped at TtHs so.. its been a while since I read the final two.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#4487 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 August 2020 - 07:50 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 August 2020 - 06:18 PM, said:

Ooooo, I like his stuff a lot. Let me know how it is!

Have you read his Falcon of Sparta?

A take on The Xenophon, it was good but felt like a missed opportunity, should have been a duology rather than a stand-alone

#4488 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 August 2020 - 10:36 PM

I did read it. Like some of it, and found the POV voice switch too jarring mid book.

#4489 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 August 2020 - 09:04 AM

Yeah, that was where I thought there was such a natural break point narratively to make it a two book deal. The epic march home is easily a book and the build up also a book

#4490 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 August 2020 - 01:02 AM

Janny Wurts THE CURSE OF THE MISTWRAITH. Got a copy online for half the kindle price.

#4491 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 August 2020 - 06:24 AM

I hope you like melodrama.

Interesting setting, some very cool characters and development, intricate, cool plots, epic scale and timeline etc etc etc.
But what I had problems with was the back-of-hand-to-forehead italicised oh woe is me! moments.

I keep buying the books though, and I'll finish them off when the series is finished.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#4492 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 31 August 2020 - 03:59 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 31 August 2020 - 01:02 AM, said:

Janny Wurts THE CURSE OF THE MISTWRAITH. Got a copy online for half the kindle price.

View PostTsundoku, on 31 August 2020 - 06:24 AM, said:

Interesting setting, some very cool characters and development, intricate, cool plots, epic scale and timeline etc etc etc.
But what I had problems with was the back-of-hand-to-forehead italicised oh woe is me! moments.

I keep buying the books though, and I'll finish them off when the series is finished.

That series is still unfinished at 27ish years?

Gods she's ahead of GRR Martin AND Melanie Rawn.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4493 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 August 2020 - 05:14 PM

I DO like melodrama actually. I like it a great deal, so I imagine that this might be my jam. Is it soapy? I like soapy stuff.

View PostAbyss, on 31 August 2020 - 03:59 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 31 August 2020 - 01:02 AM, said:

That series is still unfinished at 27ish years?

Gods she's ahead of GRR Martin AND Melanie Rawn.

As someone who got into Rawn's EXILES with only two books published and a third nowhere to be seen for 20+ years...and knowing that ahead of time...I'm clearly a glutton for punishment...and I think ten books out (and unfinished) will keep me going a while, possibly even long enough for her to finish it?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 31 August 2020 - 05:15 PM

#4494 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 31 August 2020 - 05:41 PM

I like melodrama, but I dropped Wars of Light and Shadow halfway through the second book. It's the only fantasy I've ever dropped because of the prose. People say you get used to it, but man it was a struggle for me. Otherwise, I found a lot to like in the books.

#4495 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 02 September 2020 - 04:32 PM

So, I've been following Wars of Light and Shadow for YEARS. There is a ton to like in this series, and I do think you'll enjoy it a lot QT. She's also working on the final book and has recently finished the rough draft on 8/10 chapters, so I think it reasonable that we'll see this series actually finish out. I really need to reread these at some point soon.

#4496 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 September 2020 - 04:44 PM

View PostJPK, on 02 September 2020 - 04:32 PM, said:

So, I've been following Wars of Light and Shadow for YEARS. There is a ton to like in this series, and I do think you'll enjoy it a lot QT. She's also working on the final book and has recently finished the rough draft on 8/10 chapters, so I think it reasonable that we'll see this series actually finish out. I really need to reread these at some point soon.

Thanks! I hope so. I just was trawling thrift books and saw the price and know that lots of people like it, so I decided why not check it out.

#4497 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:09 PM

I just bought The Crippled God.

That just shows how long it's been since I last read it - its not even on my kindle.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#4498 User is offline   Zeto Demerzel 

• Sergeant

Posted 21 September 2020 - 05:33 AM

View PostBriar King, on 19 September 2020 - 02:30 PM, said:

Woot woot I just bought my very 1st WH40K novels The Founding, The Saint and The Lost! Will order Victory's after pt 2 comes out. Will that have that Anarch book included? Isn't that the latest of Gaunt? Anyway it's telling us it will be well into October before all 3 even get over here *sigh so I may still have to get them shipped back to LA which is just gonna piss me off.

Anyway I will begin the day I get book 1.

Envious as hell. I'm still slogging through the Horus Heresy series and have gotten as far as #52 - Heralds of the Siege. I wish I could skip the rest and jump to The Founding but my brain refuses to let me do that.

#4499 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 September 2020 - 11:28 AM

View PostBriar King, on 19 September 2020 - 02:30 PM, said:

Woot woot I just bought my very 1st WH40K novels The Founding, The Saint and The Lost! Will order Victory’s after pt 2 comes out. Will that have that Anarch book included? Isn’t that the latest of Gaunt? Anyway it’s telling us it will be well into October before all 3 even get over here *sigh so I may still have to get them shipped back to LA which is just gonna piss me off.

Anyway I will begin the day I get book 1.

Yes, ANARCH will be in VICTORY PII as it's the most recent GG book. You have 11 books of the series in those three volumes. ENJOY! They get better and better with each volume for me.

#4500 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 26 September 2020 - 09:41 PM

I need to look for a copy of Book 5 of Wars of Light and Shadow.

It's a decent series, as long as you like long-form flowery prose, slow pacing/buildup, and a lot of fatalistic angst.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

Share this topic:

• 239 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users