Malazan Empire: Will the Discovery of Alien Life Destroy Relgious Doctrine? - Malazan Empire

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Will the Discovery of Alien Life Destroy Relgious Doctrine?

#41 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:53 AM

Cold Iron;353088 said:

Fine, how about I point out the fact that aliens are completely unnecessary, there have already been a plethora of discoveries that religion never touched on, so instead of putting thought into an observation, you decided to simply project your self-important judgement onto the board while at the same time showing disrespect to all those who didn't ask and don't need you to validate their faith even if you could. This on top of the repeated statement of your lack of religion implying that it is the obvious and even only logical stance and your childish attempts to claim that you are in fact tolerant and without bigotry. Your position stands in contradiction of your proclaimed abhorrence of racism as religion and culture are inseparable and you are completely ignorant of the hypocrisy.

Better?

No. :D

Most of my friends are religious and I respect that. I also expect that my own beliefs should be respected. I projected my self-important judgement? Huh? Are you high? Stick to engineering, I assume you have some level of understanding seeing as how you just got a degree.....I think. I'm only guessing at what religious people may do (some, not all, since no matter what some people will believe what they will, no matter what, and that's fine :D )

Calm down CI. You get all high and mighty....emphasis on "high"...too often.

:D

#42 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:56 AM

Cold Iron;353088 said:

Fine, how about I point out the fact that aliens are completely unnecessary, there have already been a plethora of discoveries that religion never touched on, so instead of putting thought into an observation, you decided to simply project your self-important judgement onto the board while at the same time showing disrespect to all those who didn't ask and don't need you to validate their faith even if you could. This on top of the repeated statement of your lack of religion implying that it is the obvious and even only logical stance and your childish attempts to claim that you are in fact tolerant and without bigotry. Your position stands in contradiction of your proclaimed abhorrence of racism as religion and culture are inseparable and you are completely ignorant of the hypocrisy.

Better?

Angry much?

I think people should believe what they believe in. I have no problem with a person of faith. While I don't necessarily believe what they have to believe, I don't discriminate against them for that reason.

My opinion is simply that: my opinion. I view religion from my viewpoint and that is it. If I wanted to I could post reasons why religion is a positive and very understandable why people believe in a certain faith. However, I don't do that because I'm not going to play my own devil's advocate.

If man was God's ultimate creation I believe that the arrival of an obviously superiorly intelligent species would cast doubt on that basic tenant of most (Christian) faiths.

Validation of faith is for a believer. Disproof is for those who don't believe. I'm sorry if I upset you with what I had to say, but it's what I believe. Maybe, and probably, due to my own faults I lack faith in the sustainability of other's faiths under distress. If that is the case then I'll gladly admit I am wrong.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#43 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:57 AM

He does this sometimes HD, don't worry. It will pass. The idea that this dude calls anybody judgemental or hypocritical is laughable...if it wasn't so sadly inaccurate.

#44 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:00 AM

Cold Iron;353088 said:

Better?

Someone needs a nap!
Error: Signature not valid

#45 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:19 AM

Hey everyone relax, HD i was talking to xander (that's optumus prime), he asked for it, I even edited the post to add the quote so there's no confusion.

Anyway xander, you projected your self important judgement thusly:

Were I religious, the discovery of something that my religious doctrine never even touched upon would destroy that holy book's worth to me

You are here both clearly judging (you have judged holy books to be worthless) and projecting (you show a failure to understand why those who do not share your judgement of the worthlessness of holy books and an inability to comprehend that your conclusion could not be the correct conclusion).

Your arguments consist of:
a) I must be high
:D I'm the judgemental and hypocritical one
c) I'm an engineer

My responses:
a) I'm not
:D I demand evidence
c) So what?

You lose :p

I'm going now anyway but just so everyone knows, I'm not flaming, I'm debating. :D

And you can't tell me my tone is harsh cos you can't hear it.

And I know there are some things that just aren't polite to say to someone but he did ask for it. :D

#46 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:21 AM

It seems he's sayiing that in that hypothetical situation, the holy book would be worthless, not saying the book is worthless now.

#47 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:32 AM

Cold Iron;353120 said:

Hey everyone relax, HD i was talking to xander (that's optumus prime), he asked for it, I even edited the post to add the quote so there's no confusion.

Anyway xander, you projected your self important judgement thusly:

You are here both clearly judging (you have judged holy books to be worthless) and projecting (you show a failure to understand why those who do not share your judgement of the worthlessness of holy books and an inability to comprehend that your conclusion could not be the correct conclusion).

Your arguments consist of:
a) I must be high
:D I'm the judgemental and hypocritical one
c) I'm an engineer

My responses:
a) I'm not
:D I demand evidence
c) So what?

You lose :p

I'm going now anyway but just so everyone knows, I'm not flaming, I'm debating. :D

And you can't tell me my tone is harsh cos you can't hear it.

And I know there are some things that just aren't polite to say to someone but he did ask for it. :p

I lose? What, were we fighting for something? Did I miss something other than your nonsensical ramblings? I speak for ME, CI, not anyone else. All holy scripture holds no value...for ME. Not for anyone else. A lot of people find value in religion and that's great. Last I checked, we're a race of individuals with rights to believe whatever the fuck we want. Do I need to highlight my posts from now on for your benefit? You live in a dream world where you actually make sense, I suppose.

If someone believes in the Bible or other holy books, that's fine. It's their beliefs. Speaking for myself and no other is fine. Just because I don't believe in your flawed logic (I use that term loosely concerning you) doesn't mean I'm wrong, CI. You show a lack of knowledge in most things, it's astounding. You may be having a bad day because it looks like you are trying to pick a fight (or "debate") with me over basically nothing. Like I've said before, you should probably rethink your posts...which you rarely do...because you often look like a mumbling stooge.

Oh and CI, nobody loses in a discussion, which is what we're having :p

Lucky for you :D

EDIT: How can RLY read something correctly and you be so off base, by the way?

#48 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:38 AM

I know things about stuff. It's been confirmed on at least two occasions.

#49 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:41 AM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;353134 said:

I know things about stuff. It's been confirmed on at least two occasions.

Indeed. I've confirmed it at least 1/8 times....or something close to that rounded up :D

#50 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:43 AM

I brain things sometimes.

#51 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:48 AM

Aww...CI ran away....too bad..

:D

I really don't hate him, despite what others think :D

#52 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:54 AM

Every forum needs a CI, or it wouldn't be the internets.

#53 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:57 AM

Firstly, the you lose comment was tongue in cheek, I would say that it was clearly tongue in cheek but that would make me a hypocrite, as I clearly took liberties with your meaning too :D

Secondly, whilst you did say it would render the religion worthless to you, this does little to remove the judgement and serves only to qualify your projection. Of course you are speaking for yourself, this information adds nothing, you can speak for no other. The implication remains inherent, as you showed no uncertainty in your opinion, that you believe it to be true and thus true for everyone.

Thirdly you were certainly not saying that only in this hypothetical situation would the book be worthless and both you and RLY know it. This excuse is so insubstantial I need only look at it for it to disappear entirely. Unless you are completely unaware of the entire list of discoveries made in the last thousand years and so not present in any major religious text (which I know you are not) you were most certainly making a non-hypothetical judgement.

Howzat!

#54 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:26 AM

Cold Iron;353933 said:

Optimus Prime, I'm sorry for my childish behavior last night. Sometimes I pick fights with you to fill the emptiness inside. Really, I should've let this go last night but I'm just too damn stubborn and enjoy arguing with you too much.

Also, I'm a tool.

Fixed :D

Hey, it's okay CI. You're an angry kid but someday you'll find happiness...somewhere. All is forgiven :D

#55 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:11 AM

Bah, you're boring when you go all "there is no spoon", still I managed to get a little fire outta ya ;)

#56 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:47 AM

Cold Iron;353955 said:

Bah, you're boring when you go all "there is no spoon", still I managed to get a little fire outta ya ;)

Once again, you see success where it doesn't exist. Those are some amazing goggles you wear :cool:

But let's stay on topic, shall we? Your little attempts at starting feuds often derail topics, something I'm sure you are all too aware of ;)

#57 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:52 AM

Optimus Prime;353961 said:

But let's stay on topic, shall we? Your little attempts at starting feuds often derail topics, something I'm sure you are all too aware of ;)

Your little attempts to win all of those feuds doesn't help much, you know. ;)

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#58 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:55 AM

Terez;353963 said:

Your little attempts to win all of those feuds doesn't help much, you know. ;)

Of course not ;) I can only resist so many times. Somebody has to combat his arrogance.

#59 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:02 AM

Optimus Prime;353965 said:

Of course not ;) I can only resist so many times. Somebody has to combat his arrogance.

:xander::xander::xander::xander:

#60 User is offline   cauthon 

• Geek in progress
  • Interests:photography, fantasy

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:13 AM

Of course, all his only applies to _intelligent_ alien life.

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

10 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users