Malazan Empire: Silchas Ruin: An improved Anomander Rake? - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Silchas Ruin: An improved Anomander Rake?

#41 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:37 AM

View PostMentalist, on 15 October 2015 - 04:26 PM, said:

View Postjonny_anonymous, on 15 October 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

No, that is not what I am suggesting. What I am saying is Erikson said Karsa was created as a homage\deconstruction of Conan the Cimmerian, his appearance being of a brutish barbarian but in reality being a deep and intelligent person. Karsa has an extreme distaste for the world's idea of civilisation and plans to burn it all to the ground and give it back to the wild. Brood is the chosen of the "world" and carries a weapon that will do that exact thing.

Yes I know they are different characters and I know they get even more different as the books go own, that is my entire point. One character ended up diverging so another was created that fulfilled Erikson's original ideas.

I may be obtuse, but I still don't see your point. If I understood you correctly (and this may be one of those rare times when the fact that English is my 3rd language is showing), you are suggesting that Brood was initially supposed to be "a deconstruction of Conan", and when that did not pan out (as the character's arc organically evolved into smth else), Karsa was created to try again, so to speak, yes?

My point is that I did not, at any point see an indication that Brood may have been intended as a "brute savage barbarian" archetype-iirc, our very first mentions of him are in the context of "Warlord" (that may even be his title as an Ascendant in GotM glossary). He was always presented as an (at first unseen) adversary and rival to Dujek when it came to tactics. And unlike your typical "barbarian" or "noble savage" he led a well-organized army in a defensive war, with his troops being on approximately the same level weapons-wise as the invading Malazans (Malazans having the upper hand due to Moranth munitions).
The only hints of Brood being "primitive/savage/barbarian" I could think of are 1) suggestions he's got a temper and 2) speculations he's got some Barghast blood in him. Both of those seem pretty thin though to be used as proof that Brood was initially intended to be the kind of character role that Karsa fills.

Like I said, i'm just not seeing where SE gave any indication that Brood may potentially play that type of role.

And he wields a hammer as a weapon, which could be seen as "barbarian." Of course, he also doesn't use it, and warhammers were used also by archers and warrior priests, IRL.

View Postjonny_anonymous, on 15 October 2015 - 05:18 PM, said:

I can't tell if I'm just not explaining myself properly or people are just not reading what I am saying.

You are explaining yourself properly and everyone is reading what you're saying. It's just that they also think your ideas are silly.

View Postjonny_anonymous, on 15 October 2015 - 05:40 PM, said:

He's a large beatial, brutal looking warlord with filed teeth, but is not a barbarian. That's my entire point!!

You know what, it doesn't matter. It's just my thoughts, I'm not trying to convince anybody. You don't need to agree with me and I don't need to agree with you.

Jaghut are also large and have tusks. They are not barbarians. And yes, you clearly are trying to convince people.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users