• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rugby World Cup 2007

#141 User is offline   The Tyrant Lizard 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:16 AM

bollocks
I want to die the way my dad died, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

#142 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:58 AM

Well done saffers. Can't honestly say there was any other deserving winner of that match. Cueto's try looked good, but I was already fairly drunk at the time, so it's hard to say for sure;) I guess he decided that his boot did just scrape the edge of the line before lifting into the air. We, unlike the Kiwis, will accept it with good grace and without death threats.

Ashton and the boys have done themselves proud, and hugely overachieved to get to the final in the first place, so no complaints there. SA were simply too good at the lineout for us to have a realistic chance, and, as usual, we made a hoard of stupid mistakes that probably cost us the game in the end.

I am optimistic about the future now though - hopefully the new deal they've done with the clubs will work out, and either Gehraty or Flood will develop into a top-class fly-half in the next four years to replace Wilko. With Hipkiss and Tait at center and someone like Nick Abendenon or Topsy Ojo at full back, it could be a damn good team. We shall see.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#143 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley

Posted 21 October 2007 - 02:35 PM

caladanbrood;215412 said:

I am optimistic about the future now though - hopefully the new deal they've done with the clubs will work out, and either Gehraty or Flood will develop into a top-class fly-half in the next four years to replace Wilko. With Hipkiss and Tait at center and someone like Nick Abendenon or Topsy Ojo at full back, it could be a damn good team. We shall see.

Most definitely - without the distraction of victory parades and gongs - and hopefully a less erratic development process. My expectation is for Ashton to be reappointed for next year but with someone as a team manager as he hates that sort of stuff and Rob Andrew seems uninclined to do that.

I wonder how long before the SA team is decimated by quotas again - apparently there is a commitment to 10 players of colour - and with about 8 of that side from last night on the European gravy train - they would realistically need to start rebuiling immediately if they want to be ready by 2011.

#144 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 21 October 2007 - 02:40 PM

Oh, I'd forgotten they'd now banned european-based players from the international side from now on. Would seem to be a spectacularly stupid plan that, but there we go...
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#145 User is offline   Falco 

• First Sword

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:58 PM

caladanbrood;215432 said:

Oh, I'd forgotten they'd now banned european-based players from the international side from now on. Would seem to be a spectacularly stupid plan that, but there we go...

I think its smart. Is an incentive to stay in local rugby and then retire to the northern hem once you're past your peak...

#146 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:35 AM

Posted Image

Nuff said :p
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#147 User is offline   Mort 

• Captain

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:49 AM

@Brood

You need to approach this from a Southern Hemisphere point of view... generally only the aging vets move N to Europe (let's ignore Percy Montgomery's flirtation with Welsh Rugby as it was a little bit unique) and that is generally seen as when they are past their prime and no longer competitive. For example - Larkham and Gregan, both still handy but neither likely to be in International Colours next year (and some would argue Gregan should have been binned a couple of years ago).

For Tri-Nations countries the exciting rugby is the Super 14 and Tri-nations. Ideally all rugby would be that exciting and running rugby would be encouraged. However the European powers still enjoy the good old kick-fest. I mean, look at the final, where England had a true chance to hold the ball, convert some possession and get a try in the first half... up steps Johnny W and attempts a drop goal. However, at least they came close to scoring a try inthe second half.

#148 User is offline   dktorode 

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:35 AM

Before anyone starts moaning...

Posted Image

thats as out as can be...
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

#149 User is offline   Tremolo 

• High Fist

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:36 AM

It's more out than Blend is!
'We all have nukes, and we all know how to dance'

#150 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:41 AM

dktorode;215541 said:

Before anyone starts moaning...

Who was moaning?

caladanbrood;215412 said:

I guess he decided that his boot did just scrape the edge of the line before lifting into the air. We, unlike the Kiwis, will accept it with good grace and without death threats.

Considering that the only time SA got anywhere near a try in the final was with their forwards, let's not be pointing fingers this time:p

#151 User is offline   dktorode 

Posted 22 October 2007 - 12:00 PM

caladanbrood;215564 said:

Who was moaning?

never said anyone was moaning...did I ?

"Before anyone Starts Moaning" is what i said
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

#152 User is offline   Skinner 

• Sergeant

Posted 22 October 2007 - 12:37 PM

Well done to the Saffers. I congratulate them for being the better side and winning the tournament.

England played better that I would have expected, and in making it to the final was unbelievable!

Caladan - regarding NZ death threats, I think some kiwis supporters have taken things too seriously. But the ABs and the coach themselves refused to blame the ref. They accepted all decisions during the match (dubious and otherwise) on the chin.

Like most NZers, they are just so disappointed that they can't get it right during the world cup. But every other year, no problem!

#153 User is offline   Falco 

• First Sword

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:05 PM

Some Malazan awards maybe?

Player of the Tournament: Juan Martin Hernandez. Best fly-half in the world, and the reason they got to the semi. The fact he was off his game in the semi meant South Africa won comfortably. Habana a close second.

Match of the tournament: Wales-Fiji humdinger. A great advert for union and the running game (unlike anything England played).

Best Young Player: Francois Steyn. Kid's younger than me by over a year fer cryin' out loud.

The All Black Award for greatest chokers: Well us Aussies had a poor one, but the defending champs of this award, the Kiwis get to keep it. 4 more years boys, 4 more years.

Biggest Flops: Ireland. Golden generation huh? Sure didn't look like it when the Georgian forwards were mashing the Irish pack to bits.

Chuck in any others you'd like.

#154 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:22 PM

Falco;215724 said:

Some Malazan awards maybe?

Player of the Tournament: Juan Martin Hernandez. Best fly-half in the world, and the reason they got to the semi. The fact he was off his game in the semi meant South Africa won comfortably. Habana a close second.

Match of the tournament: Wales-Fiji humdinger. A great advert for union and the running game (unlike anything England played).

Best Young Player: Francois Steyn. Kid's younger than me by over a year fer cryin' out loud.

The All Black Award for greatest chokers: Well us Aussies had a poor one, but the defending champs of this award, the Kiwis get to keep it. 4 more years boys, 4 more years.

Biggest Flops: Ireland. Golden generation huh? Sure didn't look like it when the Georgian forwards were mashing the Irish pack to bits.

Chuck in any others you'd like.

Pretty much agreed, though the aussies definitely pushed the All Blacks close on that fourth one... France at least had home advantage and a (mostly) good team...

Biggest Overachievers: Shared between Fiji and England. Fiji for getting through the group stages and producing the best two games of the tournament against Wales and than SA, England for managing not to be out of the tournament within the first three games.

Worst moment: France's try against the Kiwis.

Quote of the tournament: Another shared award between:
"Apologies about the colour clash out there. If you're confused, the All Blacks tend to be the team with the ball."
Presenter on TV coverage of All Blacks v Scotland.
"It was like kissing your sister - and no-one wants that to happen."
Canadish coach describing their 12-12 draw with Japan.

#155 User is offline   dktorode 

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:48 AM

caladanbrood;215735 said:

Quote of the tournament: Another shared award between:
"Apologies about the colour clash out there. If you're confused, the All Blacks tend to be the team with the ball."
Presenter on TV coverage of All Blacks v Scotland.
"It was like kissing your sister - and no-one wants that to happen."
Canadish coach describing their 12-12 draw with Japan.

Heh heh...top class
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

#156 User is offline   dktorode 

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:22 AM

Springboks arrived home this morning, They knew they were gonna receive a big reception but the players where in for a shock. Oliver Tambo Airport was filled to capacity, thousands of people were there to greet them at 7am.

I was shocked at the amount of people there myself...knowing the traffic problems in Johannesburg as is...this morning must have been caotic.
I feel sorry for the "regular" fliers today, those businessmen are definitely gonna be late for there meetings this morning...heh heh.

Next for them is a country wide parade which will go on for about a week.
and then finally a well deserved rest.

Well done boys...well done!
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

#157 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:15 AM

Just hope you don't make the same mistake we did and rest on your laurals, it's not a good way of moving forward :p

#158 User is offline   dktorode 

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:17 AM

Well we'll see...end of November tour to Wales i believe :p
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

#159 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:38 PM

My personal favourite player of the tournament was Juan Martin Hernandez, he's a legend.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#160 User is offline   Mort 

• Captain

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:19 PM

Surely the Argies have to come close for the over-achievers award?

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

19 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users