• 10 Pages +
  • « First

GRRM's ADwD news Rate Topic: -----

#161 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:25 AM

Xander;271689 said:

*realizes he makes no sense and needs to learn what these weird British terms mean*

Especially 'bimbling', which isn't a word.
¬_¬
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#162 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:50 PM

Xander;271689 said:

How bout some fish and chips, you and your diction, always a bimbling around...nowhere to go....

I think you mean 'bumbling.

I wonder if we'll get a better map of the areas where Dany and Arya are....

We got the map of where Dany was in Storm of Swords. Dance with Dragons will have a map of the Free Cities, though, and possibly a city map of Braavos (one exists and was supposed to go into AFFC, but GRRM decided against it).
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#163 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:02 PM

My buddy at work is from Swindon...I believe? He says bimbling all the time... :p

Anyways, back to topic.

Good news there Wert. Excellent. I've been wanting to see a map of the Free Cities for some time.

I really hope GRRM can finish in 7 books. I don't want to see the Robert Jordan strategy take place....keep pumping out books and drawing it out....:eek:

#164 User is offline   The Shining Enigma (#2) 

• Recruit
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:43 PM

I shall look forward to the next installment of this superb, literary feast.

#165 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:08 PM

Mine own breath will be paused in the sweetest of anticipations for this newest gem of the series. In this, we are at agreement.

#166 User is offline   Lord of Salvation 

• Fist

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:40 AM

I just hope he can find the inspiration to crank out some Bran chapters real otherwise we are in for an extended wait.

#167 User is offline   MecnunK 

• 5324th Seguleh and climbing

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:34 AM

I hope he brings it out soon otherwise i may lose interest :/ especially after the last offering which was not on the same par as the preceding volumes. No more milking from authors after a good start...

#168 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:19 PM

Bigger version of the UK cover:

Posted Image

The good news with the Bran chapters is that there are only three of them, and he's been busy working and revising on them for some time. So hopefully that other two shouldn't take too long. And he usually leaves the Bran chapters until last, so fingers crossed but he should make the mid-June finish date to give us the book before the end of the year.

Out of curiosity, how many people have reread AFFC or the whole series with AFFC? I keep being told that it impoves the book immeasurably (as with rereading say Gardens of the Moon). I have a full ASOIAF reread coming up in the summer, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#169 User is offline   Wry 

• High Fist
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:26 PM

I have read the whole series through a couple of times with AFFC, and it definately does improve the book... still at the end you are left with a vague feeling of anti-climax, like there's something missing from the last book. hopefully Dance will fix that.

To be honest though i think he should have taken more time and completely rewrote AFFC as more of a stand alone... i've no problem waiting for a well crafted book.

#170 User is offline   Elan Morin Tedronai 

• Captain

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:07 PM

Have reread AFFC once, and the whole series prior to my first time read of AFFC, and have a complete reread coming up as well in the summer. Always liked AFFC though, even though there was no Dany :D the bit of an anti-climax I felt every time though aye, but I just counted that down to it being a 'split book' really. You just miss too much to get a nice full picture of what's going on everywhere. Still, counting on a huge finish in ADWD now ofcourse :)

#171 User is offline   MecnunK 

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:46 PM

I simply cant re-read AFFC.. It doesnt lend itself to my reread criteria. I find GRRM generally not re-readbale even though I think I have read it twice and its an odd and weird feeling doing a ASOIAF reread, hard to describe. I still cant get over the death of Rob :/

#172 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:19 AM

I haven't reread yet, but I've been tearing through a lot of new things since I first read it. Once i run out of things to read fr a while, I plan on going through the series again at least once.
Error: Signature not valid

#173 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:56 AM

I need to go buy the paperback version of aFFC and do a re-read, seeing as how my hardback copy is back in Atlanta :)

Good news that he's nearly done with the Bran chapters, though I'm bummed there are only 3...I really like his story line.

#174 User is offline   Set'alahd Crool 

• First Sword

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:27 AM

Xander;276543 said:

I need to go buy the paperback version of aFFC and do a re-read, seeing as how my hardback copy is back in Atlanta

My hardback of aFFC is subject to an ongoing ownership dispute. Unfortunately the other party has possession of it, so I think I've lost the argument.

#175 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:28 PM

Xander;276543 said:

Good news that he's nearly done with the Bran chapters, though I'm bummed there are only 3...I really like his story line.

It has been speculated that because he's not fond of the Bran chapters (he finds them really hard to write) he leaves them until last (he did with ASoS, apart from the Red Wedding chapter, for example). If true, that means he's nearly there. From that POV, the fact that there's only three chapters he needs to revise is a lot more encouraging than if there were, say, ten or something.

#176 User is offline   MecnunK 

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:15 PM

i am waiting for the littel stark boy to grwo up :) i got a feeling he is gona be a bad mofo!

#177 User is offline   Anomander Rake 

• First Sword

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:06 AM

I'm looking forward to it. May do a re-read of the series closer to the time when aDwD will be released. :)

I wonder if we will hear anything about little Rickon (sp?)

#178 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:03 AM

Did a full re-read once, about half a year ago. AFFC seemed more... organic, meaning it did fit better, but still, missing my favourite characters + too much Cersei....
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#179 User is offline   Aztiel 

• Lieutenant

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:20 PM

He'd best finish this soon or the entire venture will become an anachronism. I hope he doesn't end up like Jordan, who got so stuck in his complexities that the thing stalled and the genre and readers passed him by. Rest in Peace, however, he's still a great one...

Too much longer without an entry in ASOIAF and I'll lose interest. It is already hard to care when there's so much good stuff coming out, especially from the Brits.

#180 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:17 AM

Is it me or is it all of the sudden a golden age of fantasy? So much good stuff!
Error: Signature not valid

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users