• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Revelation

#41 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:51 AM

I don't think there are clear intentional parallels with real races/traits - that's in the view of the reader. The variety of skin colours in a fantasy world does not mean they share the characteristics/cultures of people in the real world.

Like, I see Kalam as dark skinned, almost true black, like charcoal. (His cousin Barathol is described as onyx skinned) I don't see 'black' in that sense as being the same as it is used to describe people of African descent, for example. In that sense, there is no problem with calling someone a black man, as it is just as descriptive as calling Ruin a white man, or Trull a grey man.

The inclusion of blue and green, grey and white skin describes the exact tone to me, and makes it seem very distinct, without drawing comparisons to real races.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 22 October 2008 - 11:52 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#42 User is offline   Epiph 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:18 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on Mar 26 2008, 12:48 PM, said:

Seven cities look to be arab to african, Genebackis I don't have a clue what people look like, but crokus could walk round seven cities without comment, but the range of skin types in seven cities means that doesn't help to much, but I'd guess he wasn't white as that would have stood out.

If Fiddler is pale with red hair and can pass for a Seven Cities Gral, then it stands to reason that Seven Cities runs the gamut of skin color.
<--angry purple ball of yarn wielding crochet hooks. How does that fail to designate my sex?

#43 User is offline   Osric 

• Captain
  • Interests:Books, Games, Programming, Beer, Women, Movies

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:41 AM

I feel that the blue man is supressed in these books, all the stereotypes are present!

Seriously though, I really do appreciate the way Erikson makes no difference between skin colour, a lot of the important characters are black.. or blue. I do agree that for some reason it's a habit to imagine people to be white, unless described otherwise, but that's probably cos I'm mostly around white people. Still, I generally see people from seven cities as black/asian like the arab countries, although there must be a lot of white people too.

It seems strange though, that in such a conflicted world people don't judge eachother for their skin colour. Certain clans or areas are all black, so if those were at war with a clan/people/area that is mostly white, I can see conflicts between people who have different colouring occuring pretty easily. Imagine you've been fighting white men all your life, they killed your friends and family, and then a white man comes passing through, you might wanna kill him because that's what you're used to (not saying that thats smart or right, just can easily see it happening). Unless I'm wrong and there truly is no one people that have the same skin colour.

Either way, I can see why Erikson doesn't go into racial issues, doesn't really suit a fantasy book. I do think that the way Erikson describes people's opinions and dealings with other people who look/act different from them is exactly how the real would should be like.

This post has been edited by Osric: 24 October 2008 - 08:42 AM

Wise words are like arrows flung at your forehead. What do you do? Why, you duck of course.
-Bult

#44 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:37 PM

I think part of the lack of enmity between the various human races comes from them all the cultures having a somewhat equal footing in sorcery and technology. Every continent has at least one human culture that has the capacity to build ships and visit other places, and sorcerors are present in all the "civilized" cultures, so these combine with cultures being known widely, hence people are more exposed to other cultures. This is very contrastive to our world where Europe and its ginormous navies spread themselves far and wide long before the rest of us had the chance to do the same. And we can't just make holes into warrens and walk to other continents.

There certainly is an element of racism in the Malaziworld towards so-called "savages", however, as we often see occuring with Karsa and the TE.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#45 User is offline   ShadowOwl 

• High Fist

Posted 26 October 2008 - 02:41 AM

There certainly is an element of racism in the Malaziworld towards so-called "savages", however, as we often see occuring with Karsa and the TE.

And yet, others in the Malaz world see Karsa as TTT and part of an ancient race, and the Tiste Edur as race like the Andii. They seem to have respect for them.
Of course, we also need to remember the people of this world take the return of dead people as a normal occurance, so I can't see colour ever meaning anything to them, when even being dead doesn't! I like that about this world!
"Yes, the owl was deliberate in each and every instance, and yes, it was intended to work on multiple levels." (from SE's Dec 09 Q&A)

#46 User is offline   l2rdo 

• Recruit

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:48 PM

The only really racist people in Erickson's books seem to be the Tiste. They all hate each other due to skin color and heritage.

#47 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:07 PM

View Postl2rdo, on Jan 12 2009, 01:48 PM, said:

The only really racist people in Erickson's books seem to be the Tiste. They all hate each other due to skin color and heritage.

Uhm. Imass and Jaghut? Teblor and Mezla. Mezla and 7C tribes, etc. etc.

#48 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:19 PM

Wouldn't it be pretty hard as a 7C tribesman to discriminate a "Mezla"? I mean, they could be Genabackan, Talian, Malazan, 7C even. I don't buy that as a racist conflict, more one of pride - the "Mezla" defeated them and took their freedom (more or less), so they want it back.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#49 User is offline   Mcflury 

• First Sword
  • Interests:Reading, writing, partying, playing PC-games (mainly MMO's) and many more.

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:15 PM

View PostMappo's Travelling Sack, on Jan 12 2009, 02:19 PM, said:

Wouldn't it be pretty hard as a 7C tribesman to discriminate a "Mezla"? I mean, they could be Genabackan, Talian, Malazan, 7C even. I don't buy that as a racist conflict, more one of pride - the "Mezla" defeated them and took their freedom (more or less), so they want it back.

He still has quite a lot of other examples too :(
And I add: Wickan and Malazans.
"There is no struggle too vast no odds too overwhelming for even should we fail, should we fall, we will know that we have lived" - Anomander Rake
(From Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson)

#50 User is offline   Powder 

• Fist

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:10 AM

I think it is because he gets the point, namely that the color of your skin does not matter (period). You are human first. Only once we stop (as a species) identifying WHO we are with WHAT we look like can we overcome racism. Again we (as a species) need to be concerned with what someone does and not with how they appear, the latter is irrelevant in the long run. I find that Erickson is mildly mocking in his dipictions of people. Clearly making the point that your color does not matter, by the way theres blue people! In the foreward of NoK he plainly states that he and ICE were attempting to break the mold. What better way to do this than to ignore and even subtlely mock how we in the real world are so ready to divide over issues as trivial as the color of ones skin as opposed to the mettle of his heart.

#51 User is offline   Fisher 

• Recruit

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:59 AM

Just to clarify, are the Napan white with a bluish tinge, or black with a bluish tinge? I'm picturing them as the latter (I have a vague memory of someone referring to Urko as black)

Also, Dancer is pretty much Edward Norton.

#52 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:32 AM

It varies, the skin colour. I think half-Napans are powder blue and full-blooded Napans are blue-black.
Spoiler

Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#53 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:26 PM

Well, Laseen is Napan royalty or something, and I think she's described as "dusky" blue. I just figure that Napans run a whole range of blues, from light to dark.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#54 User is offline   Old Magic 

• No Matter.

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:31 PM

even Kormack can't seem to get a feel for Africans in fantasy.. despite quick ben and kalams repeated descriptions of dark skin, they are still portrayed as white.. though its just a 'sketch', they are pretty big blunders.. I actually used this pic for a birthday card for my dad (lol, the Candleburners..) and darkened Ben and Kalam myself..
Posted Image

I also don't get the feeling that they are African but more middle-eastern to India in pigment and appearance (again, probably due to all the deserts and mountains.. either way I think SE uses more races than most authors)
"Relax. What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind!"

#55 User is offline   Lynx 

• Recruit

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:53 AM

I would complement SE and ICE for putting in so many different and complex characters into their books and making use of many different physical characteristics to give variety to the characters I immagine when reading these books. I do not care what race (human or other wise) a person is or what colour the person/alien is. With one exception if a writer were to write a book with all the good guys being one colour and all the bad being another it would be a bad thing.

#56 User is offline   Fredimus 

• Recruit

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:58 PM

I figured that "Napan blue" meant more darkish-blue but it seems I was wrong. Maybe it's my hatred of the Blue Man Group that got the better of me. Posted Image

@ Fisher : LOL. Actually, I always saw Dancer more like a young James Caviezel. Posted Image

#57 User is offline   Ben Adephon Delat 

• Lieutenant

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:53 AM

View PostAptorian, on 24 March 2008 - 07:44 PM, said:

It's strange but I actually don't atribute skin color to any of the characters. I think of them all as white, even the andii...

My imagination is a racist.

Strangely enough I'm the opposite I picture everyone as black or Arab until they are explicitly stated to be white. It's probably because I read Earth Sea and Black Company before reading this series so my notion of all fantasy characters as white was already broken before I started

Anyway so far as I'm aware the only people who are exclusively white are the Letharii and the Falari [non-indigenous]

This post has been edited by Ben Adephon Delat: 02 November 2009 - 07:55 AM

#58 User is offline   mayhem 

• Recruit

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

And as someone already mentioned, most of the population is aware of other non-human races, from the Jaghut in the past to the TTT and the T'lan Imass.
Similar to discworld, racism just doesn't become popular when speciesism is so much fun.
"Black and white lived together in perfect harmony, and ganged up on green"

#59 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:53 AM

As mayhem says, next to differences like, well, tusks and green skin, or too many damn joints, differences between light and dark skin color don't seem so significant.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#60 User is offline   Weave 

• I'm HAPPY CLAPPY!

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

Bloody interesting topic.
I mean topic in both senses (but not the third, sub standard chocolate bar) credit once more to this community.
All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. ~ Edmond Burke.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users