• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mma/ufc

#1521 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 April 2020 - 12:39 AM

Dana White is a Grade A asshole and has to be an exhausting individual to ever do business with, but he does go for it and swings for the fences, piece of shit that he is.

Posted Image

#1522 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 July 2020 - 11:34 PM

'Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov, Father of UFC Lightweight Champ, Dead at 57 of COVID-19 Complications

[...] The elder Nurmagomedov, a renowned trainer of MMA fighters and sambo practitioners, cornered his son in most of his fights, with the exception of those which took place in the United States, due to difficulties obtaining a visa. He was, however present at his son's latest Octagon appearance at UFC 242 in Abu Dhabi, when "The Eagle" reunified the UFC's lightweight championship'

https://www.sherdog....ications-173763

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 07 July 2020 - 11:34 PM

#1523 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 April 2021 - 05:55 PM

UFC 261. Pretty crazy. And not without some controversy. Thoughts?

I think we all can agree that there is no one even near in the same class as Valentina Shevchenko right now.

#1524 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 April 2021 - 06:31 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 25 April 2021 - 05:55 PM, said:

UFC 261. Pretty crazy. And not without some controversy. Thoughts?

I think we all can agree that there is no one even near in the same class as Valentina Shevchenko right now.

Except for Nunes, arguably, though she's one weight class up. Shevchenko seems to like outgrappling grapplers and outstriking strikers, so outwrestling Andrade was a natural extension of that, and definitely impressive, though Andrade was moving up in weight.

Weidman's leg snapping in two against Hall in basically the same way Anderson Silva's leg snapped against Weidman... if it's random, what are the odds both instances would involve Weidman? Has it ever happened in a UFC fight not involving Weidman? It seems unlikely it could have something to do with technique?...

Namajunas was extremely impressive, though she probably benefitted from not being known for her kicks. Her first head kick KO. Doubt she'd catch Zhang with that again in a rematch.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 25 April 2021 - 06:31 PM

#1525 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 April 2021 - 06:47 PM

Those still images circulating of the knockout punch Usman handed Masvidal are quite possibly the best I've seen of a knockout sequence. Incredible.

Masvidal is known for his tough guy swagger and big mouth. Nothing exactly out of the ordinary in UFC, but he stands out and puts a lot of extra hot sauce on his cockiness. I'll be interested to see how he bounces back from this.

#1526 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 April 2021 - 08:38 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 26 April 2021 - 06:47 PM, said:

Those still images circulating of the knockout punch Usman handed Masvidal are quite possibly the best I've seen of a knockout sequence. Incredible.

Masvidal is known for his tough guy swagger and big mouth. Nothing exactly out of the ordinary in UFC, but he stands out and puts a lot of extra hot sauce on his cockiness. I'll be interested to see how he bounces back from this.

Masvidal also campaigned for Trump... and promotes QAnon.

'Jorge Masvidal UFC
@GamebredFighter

May 17, 2020
#qanon #supernecessary

Posted Image

KAT TALES TV
. . .
Replying to
@GamebredFighter
stop pushing Don The Con
you are proving you have been hit in the head multiple times...…………..'

Posted Image

Love the way he moves Masvidal's hand out of the way, leans into that punch, and simultaneously ducks Masvidal's counter.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 26 April 2021 - 08:44 PM

#1527 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 April 2021 - 10:16 PM

Btw that Trump-should-be-president 'Kurt Cobain' quote Masvidal posted is (unsurprisingly) a hoax:

'This claim is false. The image alleges Cobain said this in 1993 and provides no source or other information. Danny Goldberg, one of Nirvana's managers, wrote an article for The Nation in 2018 referring to this fabricated quote. Goldberg wrote: "As one of Nirvana's managers when Kurt was alive, I know that the quote is not only made up but it is also a grotesque perversion of Kurt's beliefs. He often differentiated Nirvana from more overtly political punk bands[...] but Kurt was unambiguous about where his political sentiments lay and, although he identified with anarchist imagery in some contexts, Kurt had no problem making choices at election time."

The article explains that this claim originated from a Facebook page called "Trump Train" during the 2016 campaign. 

In an interview [...] in 1992, Kurt Cobain said that he would vote for Bill Clinton in the upcoming elections. When asked about Ross Perot, a billionaire businessman candidate, Cobain said that Perot was a rich man and that he did not trust him.

In the same interview, Cobain also said (Spanish translation): "Republicans are an incarnation of Satan. I hate them."'

https://www.reuters....p-idUSKCN2252L7

Covington, Masvidal, Masvidal rematch, next maybe a Covington rematch... Usman gets to keep beating the crap out of the UFC's most vocal/unhinged Trump supporters (granted, for Covington it's apparently more of an act, but with Masvidal it's harder to tell). Nice to see an immigrant from Africa doing it. Seems not just sublime, but righteous....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 26 April 2021 - 10:17 PM

#1528 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 December 2021 - 08:37 PM

huh, imagine that, Nunes beat. Surprised, meh, not really. I didn't see the fight but most analysis coverage I caught seemed to think Nunes didn't have the fitness or even seemed to be deflated when the fight continued into later rounds. From the highlights, Nunes seemed to get her hands flying on Julianna Peņa (Pena's post-fight face seems to back that narrative up). I guess that can deflate you, if your bread-and-butter is releasing those hands and your opponent fights through it. Don't know anything about Pena, other than I sort of remember her in one of those The Ultimate Fighter seasons. I think she won it? but I remember not being all that impressed with her (from what I recall about that season). I don't think she'll be champion for long.

Also..

^this

#1529 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 December 2021 - 09:12 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 12 December 2021 - 08:37 PM, said:

huh, imagine that, Nunes beat. Surprised, meh, not really. I didn't see the fight but most analysis coverage I caught seemed to think Nunes didn't have the fitness or even seemed to be deflated when the fight continued into later rounds. From the highlights, Nunes seemed to get her hands flying on Julianna Peņa (Pena's post-fight face seems to back that narrative up). I guess that can deflate you, if your bread-and-butter is releasing those hands and your opponent fights through it. Don't know anything about Pena, other than I sort of remember her in one of those The Ultimate Fighter seasons. I think she won it? but I remember not being all that impressed with her (from what I recall about that season). I don't think she'll be champion for long.

Also..

^this

The press coverage prior to this fight reminded me of Werdum vs Fedor, so I was tempted to bet on Pena. (Not sure if the betting odds were actually comparable---I doubt it---though iirc I read at least two articles today calling this the greatest upset in MMA history.) Didn't bother, oh well (doubt that betting strategy would pay off in the long run, unless the odds are sufficiently astronomical...).

It only lasted to the second round, but Nunes did look gassed. Also got caught with some punches. Not clear how much of it can be chalked up to underestimating Pena, undertraining, chance... I'd probably pick Nunes in a rematch. Pena did a good job of finishing when Nunes was hurt.

Share this topic:

• 77 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users