• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lees of Laughter's End - w/spoilers

#21 User is offline   ch'arlz 

• Lo-Fi Version
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:14 PM

voland;189874 said:

Finished it yesterday and thought it was hilarous. Probably the best novella so far.

Agreed!

voland;189874 said:

I guess the souls in the nails were those slain by KB in Blood Follows

From page 15:

... nails that had once resided in the wood of sarcophagi in the barrows of Lamentable Moll...

#22 User is offline   ch'arlz 

• Lo-Fi Version

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:22 PM

Anybody have a guess as to what the "Lees" are in the _Lees of Laughter's End_? Lees being dregs, does that refer to the ship's crew?

#23 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:58 AM

well, in nautical terms its the opposite side the wind blows.. so apparently they're at the end of laughters end

#24 User is offline   Flawed 

• Flawed
  • Group: Team Handsome
  • Interests:winning the lotto
  • Id like some peace....

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:53 AM

Well apparently my copy has been sent. Perhaps that's what the missed DHL parcel was that was attempted delivery yesterday.

I'M AT WORK YOU FUDGERS MYEAH!

Why did they DHL it anyway? Just post it through the letter box. The cat wont steal it! He may try and eat it as he is a fat fack but there you go.

Now i have to go to the nearest Post Office Station in the next county no less to pick it up.

Pointless rant at the Universe over.
"I think i was a bad person before. Before this time. I do not try to be good now but i am not bad. Perhaps if i try harder i may get a better hand dealt next time? But surely that makes it pointless? Perhaps i am good. Just good at being pointless. But that would make me bad. Bad at having a point. Ah…. I see now. I was nothing before, I am nothing now. I am bad purely because im pointless. "

EQ 10

#25 User is offline   Jebus 

• Recruit

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:50 AM

Just read the three B & KB novellas and loved them all. Especially loved the humour of The Healthy Dead but Lees was great too. Blood Follows was good but the other two were better.

More!!!

#26 User is offline   Flawed 

• Flawed
  • Group: Team Handsome
  • Interests:winning the lotto
  • Id like some peace....

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:25 PM

Flawed;200951 said:

Well apparently my copy has been sent. Perhaps that's what the missed DHL parcel was that was attempted delivery yesterday.

I'M AT WORK YOU FUDGERS MYEAH!

Why did they DHL it anyway? Just post it through the letter box. The cat wont steal it! He may try and eat it as he is a fat fack but there you go.

Now i have to go to the nearest Post Office Station in the next county no less to pick it up.

Pointless rant at the Universe over.

I have it!

Finally a month after ordering and several soap box standings with accompanying gesticulations later and its at home waiting on my arrival.

Sadly i think ill finish it in a day like the other 2.

Oh well.
"I think i was a bad person before. Before this time. I do not try to be good now but i am not bad. Perhaps if i try harder i may get a better hand dealt next time? But surely that makes it pointless? Perhaps i am good. Just good at being pointless. But that would make me bad. Bad at having a point. Ah…. I see now. I was nothing before, I am nothing now. I am bad purely because im pointless. "

EQ 10

#27 User is offline   Chaos 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:56 AM

voland;189874 said:

My spleen. It wants to eat me had med cracking up, but there were lots more funny bits. The lost parts used as fish bait were great as well.

that line was genius! B) overall highly enjoyable, rate it alongside BF and bit above HD.

#28 User is offline   Urb 

• Emperor
  • View gallery

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:25 PM

'Mancy the luckless'... :)
That cracks me up. Not enough screen time for the able manservant i think.
Also looking forward to seeing these mysterious Chanters again.
Hints of Jhag blood indeed...
The leader, his audience still,
considered their scholarly will.
He lowered his head
and with anguish he said,
"But how will we teach them to kill?"

-some poet on reddit

#29 User is offline   DurhangAddict 

• Captain

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:02 PM

Ordered from PS. They said it was being shipped "Airmail". It took a month. Some damn slow planes... Well, it was worth the wait.

Bauchelain and Korbal Broach (and 'Mancy, of course!) have to be my favourite Erikson characters. I'm in awe of how he can make these characters so evil (not 'Mancy though), yet so appealing at the same time.

I found the some of the writing in Lees to be a little more... "wordy" for lack of a better term than the others. Meaning I found myself rereading a couple of paragraphs a few times before the meaning sunk in. But that's not a bad thing (especially when it's only 115 pages).

All the expected humour was there. Some of my favs:

"Give me your knife."
"Captain?"
"I don't want your blood on mine."

"Cook's a poet" - love the misdirection when we first hear it compared to the actual meaning that comes out later.

"Eager hunger beckoned, however, slowly transforming this bowl of consumptive goat spume into a delectable culinary treasure". Ha! Is there anything durhang can't do? B)

I sure felt sorry for Gust Hubb. By the end he was worse off then Shurq Ellal's
first mate :D

"Spurting, spraying fluids in all directions, and, spat out like a constipated man's triumph (best metaphor EVER), the upper half of a body that had once been deeply embedded within a murky, diluvian world."

I did find it kind of strange that Korbal would so easily use his dead child as "bait" at the end, but then he is a strange one.

The only thing that disappointed me with the book was the ending. It left me hanging there. "That's it!?" Did the dhenrabi pull the Suncurl away from the chasing Chanters? Was there a titanic battle between the Chanters and out anti-heros? What happend!?

Presumably there will be additional stories after Lees and before The Healthy Dead - Lees happens about a week after Blood Follows but there is a line somewhere in Healthy Dead that says 'Mancy has been travelling with them for 4 years by that point...

More, Mr. Erikson! More!

#30 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 21 December 2007 - 02:49 PM

Finished Lees yesterday in the omnibus edition.

The best parts:

"My spleen wants to eat me" had me spurting soda all over the sofa. Nice touch from SE, having Lordson Hoom make a cameo... "Cook's a poet" was funny... Briv, Briv, and Briv (who is really not Briv at all) cracked me up as well.

The Jaghut created monsters (for some reason I kept visualizing them as alabaster greyhounds) were intriguing. I sense connections to Stormriders or some such.

Laughter's End itself was intriguing... I went WTF? when Mael's own blood got mention.

Can't wait to finish The Healthy Dead now...
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#31 User is offline   kcf 

• High Fist

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:57 AM

I finally got aroun to reading The Lees of Laughter's End (full review). I loved it - Erikson is really at his best in short fiction and his word play has never been better. He really shines with the names in this one - starting with the novella title and going on down to the characters themselves. Good stuff.

#32 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:01 PM

Its a fantastic novella, I have to agree. If only I could get blood follows and the Healthy dead! But the prices on amazon are ridiculous.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#33 User is offline   ch'arlz 

• Lo-Fi Version

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:17 PM

Lisheo;271429 said:

Its a fantastic novella, I have to agree. If only I could get blood follows and the Healthy dead! But the prices on amazon are ridiculous.

do check abebooks.com. there are both Blood Follows and Healthy Dead available starting at $18
Shaken, not stirred.

#34 User is offline   VampireGoat 

• Lieutenant

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:08 PM

The thread bellow this mentions an omnibus edition prices at £20. As the price shows it is a british publisher (yay for me) so im not sure if they post abroad. I purchased a copy myself a couple of months ago and it was without doubt a cracking read. Plus you get all 3 in a nice hardback version.

A shop in london called 'Forbidden Planet' has another version by the same publisher which features all 3 original books in a solid slip case with the same cover as the new version, signed as well I believe but it was extremely pricey :p

check out the thread bellow this for the link if they ship over seas then its the cheapest option im aware of.

Word of warning it is arranged in time line order not release order.

#35 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:26 AM

Should I pony up and buy an autographed select copy of this book. I have never read it but I find my self wanting to shell out $$$ an available signed copy...Is it worth it?
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#36 User is offline   Urb 

• Emperor
  • View gallery

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:20 AM

The book in itself is worth it. I don't really care if it's signed or not, but if you can't get anything else (I couldn't find any cheaper version), I'd say go for it.
The leader, his audience still,
considered their scholarly will.
He lowered his head
and with anguish he said,
"But how will we teach them to kill?"

-some poet on reddit

#37 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:09 PM

Well that isn't the point. I can always get cheaper. But I have the money to get a signed limited one. Although it is a moot point, because I ordered it yesterday.:p

#38 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:33 PM

Good choice :p

Though you probably meet "moot" not "mute" :p
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#39 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:24 PM

er......yeah....

#40 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:04 PM

I got the book last night and it looks fantastic...I love the cover...Even my wife loved the cover which was kind of increadible...:D

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users