• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your opinions about the book

#1 User is offline   Reborn 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:51 PM

I finished the book a couple of hours ago, and I have personally not had time to reflect on its quality compared with the previous books in the series. It was a fantastic book, though, no doubt about it. I enjoyed the complex story, how the Adjunct actually attacked the country thinking she would raise a rebellion among the Letherii, and It felt a bit more coherent than The Bonehunters, but The Bonehunters was, apart from some surprising and tragic deaths in Reaper's Gale, more unpredictable. I was a bit irritated when I realized that he continues to resurrect dead characters (may Toc rest in peace, by the way). But overall, an amazing read. I think I need to gather my thoughts some more.

So, what did you think about Reaper's Gale if you compare it with earlier books in the series? Was it the best so far, or pehaps the worst so far?

#2 User is offline   Monoch Ochem 

• First Sword

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:10 PM

WELL!!!!

Let me first say how DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELIGHTED I was to see the GREAT Kuru Quan again! My most endeared character was returned to my busom, if only in his ethereal form but my grief has been somewhat sated by the recognition. The ghost is very different from the musing, muttering Ceda we knew though. Not sure I was too happy with that.

As for the rest, at times, I found it too philosophical. Too many sages in there. It was so much so that as much as I'm prone to re-reads, this one will have to wait a while.

Tragedies? Well I hate to say but I thought Beak's death was a bit predictable. The moment SE introduced him he all but had the words "sacrificial lamb" on his forehead.

There were some funny bits though. That Dal Honese warlock from the 3rd was crazy. Hellian is just pure madness...loved it!

The dragons became familiar territory....but strangely in a less awesome way.

More will come to me later but I still enjoyed it....and YES! Hood IS Jaghut! LOL! End of!
"We greet you Jaghut."

#3 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:22 PM

This was an odd one, for me. In a lot of ways it seemed less epic than the previous books, mainly because he seemed to gloss over the epic events more (or I'm just suffering from overload). Take Karsa V Rhulad - it was almost an aside to the rest of what was going on, which was a more (relatively) prosaic case of invading armies, rather than a Capustan-like epic battle.
I thought the character side of it was better though. I liked Beak, even though it was patently obvious he was going to die.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#4 User is offline   Trotts 

• Barghast Sapper-Wannabe

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:13 PM

I dunno, I quite liked the Karsa/Rhulad fight. I didn't completly see it coming, how it happened, and found myself on the edge of the seat lol.

As to the book itself, I quite liked it. Especially the marines doing what they were designed for. As for ressurections, there weren't that many at all.

#5 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:30 PM

My initial reaction after I finished reading it the first time was that it is the most entertaining books in the series so far. First off, the disposition was very balanced and well worked. I am comparing it to GoTM and MT. Also the Plot was great. As always there are things that seems relatively uninteresting at first, but as we've discovered, important things can hide in plain sight and reveal itself in a later book. It's what I love about SE.

I liked every minute of the book. I laughed and got upset and even cried at occasion. I mean real tears. What I liked about it? In fact, it would be easier to list what I don't like, I and I can't even think of something I didn't like.

Unlike Monoch, I like philosophical - to me there isn't something too philosphical. I liked the information flowing until I drowned. I guess I am too enthusiastic atm. I need to finish my re-read. Then maybe I can find something wrong.
_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#6 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:34 PM

Monoch Ochem;184827 said:

WELL!!!!

Let me first say how DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELIGHTED I was to see the GREAT Kuru Quan again! My most endeared character was returned to my busom, if only in his ethereal form but my grief has been somewhat sated by the recognition. The ghost is very different from the musing, muttering Ceda we knew though. Not sure I was too happy with that.

Yay. I love the Ceda.

#7 User is offline   kcf 

• High Fist

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:34 PM

Well, a full review is here, but in short, I liked quite a bit and feel it was big improvement over BH. The end was a bit of a let-down, partially due to most of the more moving moments of RG occuring well before the end. I suppose that the ultimate convergence was always going to be a let-down.

Anyway, I like the direction things are going and can't wait for TotH.

#8 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:26 PM

liked the anti climax with Rhulad. I think its funny how we were going on about that fight with so many different options Cusser this and blasting sorcery that and Karsa just cut his arm off.

Still suffering from overload but the plot of the patriotists was a bit crp. Liked redmask but a bit confusing. Liked that entire subplot. Needed more tehol and bugg tho.

Best bit- QB undeniably being powerful rather than sneaky (well a bit of sneak but justunleashing)

Worst bit- Patriotist plotline with that rapist fella yanath yadaver or sutton. Also even for erikson there were very similar names like Bruthen Trana and that other Edur under the sea

#9 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:48 PM

I liked the book as a whole, it was interesting at points and was structured well. the Karsa stuff was the highlight in my opinion. Looking back on it, it was the stuff that really kept me interested in the book and the most funny parts of the book too imo on first read through.

There were quite a few plot arcs that I was relatively uninterested in, but they were all of a sufficient standard to keep me reading though. I need to have a re-read. Got to the end of the prologue so far, the first two sections are beautifully written :p

I thought that there wasn't much humour, but enough. And I speed read through the entire book really so i'll expect much more pleasure to be had second time but at the same time a bit more annoyance at some of the more bland plot arcs. There's much more to say so I might have an attempt after the re-read! :p

#10 User is offline   Reborn 

• Captain

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:58 PM

Well, I actually liked the patriotist plotline ... and I enjoyed the Redmask plotline too, even though I can't see its significance to the over all story.

The end in Letheras was a bit anticlimactic, yes, but I see no reason to complain as there were practically three different climaxes in this book: the battle in which Awl fought against Lehterii, the fight for the Finnest of Scabandari Bloodeye, and, ultimately, the battle in Letheras. Together they create a most satisfying ending.

Still, I don't know if I preferred Reaper's Gale before The Bonehunters.

#11 User is offline   Reborn 

• Captain

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:05 PM

Some of the best parts were in my opinion those in the palace of Letheras, when you get inside the head of Nisall, Triban Gnol, and, of course, Rhulad. It was heartbreaking to see how this insane emperor suffered from grief. I would have liked some parts from Rhulad's point of view in the last chapter. I had come to sympathise with him and then he just died so rapidly.

#12 User is offline   Where is Dassem Ultor? 

• Captain

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:22 PM

I was so glad to read the Karsa vs. Rhulad fight. Samar realizing Karsa was much much smarter than she had thought was priceless. And I mean, really....I had no idea how Karsa would deal with Rhulad. I was so afraid he would be killed off. Finding out left me with a smile on my face.

I loved this book. From start to end, though I often wondered at how things would line up, it was a joy from start to finish. I wonder if that Seguleh was the 1st....and that would just be the beginning. Seeing Toc again was great; reading about his first arrow shot was great. Tool, Hetan, the Ceda, Leoman....they were all great returns. Compared to BH, where I only enjoyed everything after Fiddler's game, I was so much more content when I put down this book. And sad - there were things I still haven't had time to think about, like Trull; I will need to read it through again, I think.

And Brys? Unbelievable.

#13 Guest_Master of the Deck_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:24 PM

Overall, very enjoyable.

I felt it lost a bit of steam after about 3/4 quarters of the book, one of the reasons for this was how the Karsa or Icarium fighting Rhulas seemed to get pushed into the backhround after quite alot of buildup, not only in this book, but in Bonhunters as well, but thats a minor grumble. Lots of juicy other plotlines though.

One of the best parts of the plot was the 14th's push through Lethrii territory, the Marines were unleashed so to speak, I loved those parts.

#14 User is offline   kcf 

• High Fist

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:26 PM

Where is Dassem Ultor?;185007 said:

I was so glad to read the Karsa vs. Rhulad fight. Seren realizing Karsa was much much smarter than she had thought was priceless. And I mean, really....I had no idea how Karsa would deal with Rhulad. I was so afraid he would be killed off. Finding out left me with a smile on my face.

I loved this book. From start to end, though I often wondered at how things would line up, it was a joy from start to finish. I wonder if that Seguleh was the 1st....and that would just be the beginning. Seeing Toc again was great; reading about his first arrow shot was great. Tool, Hetan, the Ceda, Leoman....they were all great returns. Compared to BH, where I only enjoyed everything after Fiddler's game, I was so much more content when I put down this book. And sad - there were things I still haven't had time to think about, like Trull; I will need to read it through again, I think.

And Brys? Unbelievable.

I never expected Karsa to loose - I always figured that Karsa would defeat Rhulad in some way (I thought that the CG would just abandon Rhulad though).

Anyway, remind me where Leoman was in this book - I don't recall him being seen even once.

#15 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:33 PM

Leoman was in this book?
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#16 User is offline   Reborn 

• Captain

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:51 PM

No, I don't think so...

By the way, am I the only one who thought that the book was poorly edited compared with previous installments? I discovered quite many mistakes: letters missing in words and words missing in sentences. It does in no way affect the quality of the book, but it was nonetheless something I took note of. Well, perhaps that is the price one must pay for getting a new book every year. It's worth it.

#17 User is offline   kcf 

• High Fist

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:06 PM

I noticed a few, though I don't really know if was any more or less than previous books.

#18 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:08 PM

Leoman wasn't in the RG I read.

As for me, I thoroughly enjoyed the novel. I love the way SE manages to reveal so much and still keep us guessing and begging for more!

RG moved the story forward like no other Malazan volume. Now, I can't wait for SE to get back to me with that interview (his computer crashed last week, hence the delay), for I'm dying to know if TtH will occur along the same timeline as TB and RG, or if we're going a bit back in time to "live" what took place following MoI.

Just the thought of seeing Anomander Rake again makes me giddy! :p

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#19 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:35 PM

As an aside, I think more characters were strangled (often to death) or killed in air removing ways than were stabbed or Ranalled by cussers in the whole book. Phaed, Fear, Udinaas, Tanal, Beak's brother, the elder Redmask killed, Feather Witch... SE was on a real anti-lung stance here. Especially with Sukul eating some.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#20 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:37 PM

Anyone know where Harlest Eberict went?

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users