Malazan Empire: The Malazan World Map (RG updating in progress) - Malazan Empire

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Malazan World Map (RG updating in progress)

#21 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 May 2007 - 11:30 PM

kcf;182070 said:

You mention needing images of the maps - if you want I could take digital photos of all the maps in the books and email them to you. Just shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Cool offer, but I can do that (I tried it for RG but the results were not that great). Ideally what we need are the original maps (with no bends in the middle of the page etc) in high-res.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#22 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 05 May 2007 - 11:32 PM

Here's what SE emailed me pertaining to Werthead's world map last year:

Hi Patrick,

I perused the map and am quite impressed. It's pretty damned close. The continents are pretty much all the right place; the shape of a few are of course different but that's because they've not been visited in any of the novels. Korelri and Stratem are larger, for example; as is Assail. Genabackis needs to be angled slightly further south and up a notch or two in overall size. Lether is also larger (especially to the south of the empire proper, and Kolanse is also bigger). For all that, an exceptional bit of detective work: congrats to Adam!

Cheers

Steve

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#23 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:00 AM

Yep, that's what caused some headaches.

I'm happier with this though:

Posted Image

Korelri and Stratem are substantially bigger than before. Korelri is now closer to Malaz. Jacuruku has been positioned so it's possible to land on the east coast and traverse the continent in a north-westerly direction coast-to-coast to reach Assail, whilst remaining close to Korelri so K'rul's (not Mael's) journey in MoI makes sense. This also isolates Lether a bit more from the rest of the world, which is good. Genabackis has been moved south somewhat.

The only problem I had with this is Assail's proximity to Genabackis and in particular Seguleh Island. Whilst everyone else avoiding Assail, as the Malazans do, makes sense I don't see the Seguleh doing the same thing.

New question: any further info on the Bluerose Sea later in RG? I could swear in MT it's said to be landlocked but in the prologue to RG it's said to be the open ocean.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#24 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:05 AM

Wert, have you read the three books featuring Bauchelain and Broch? I'd think especially the corelation between Blood Follows and the Lees at Laughter's End would impart some additional information regarding location.

I'd have to read them again with that in mind, but I seem to remember some extra information about geography and such
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#25 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:13 AM

No. Should get round to it really. Someone updated me on the geographical situation though:

Blood Follows takes place on the island of Theft. According to TBH, Theft is off the tip of the Theftian Peninsula, which is on the north coast of Korelri. That pinpoints Theft's location quite nicely.

The Healthy Dead takes place in Quaint. I was told that this story happens after MoI and basically sees B&KB heading as far east as possible. That puts Quaint at the eastern tip of Genabackis.

I have not read The Lees of Laughter's End. Anyone wanting to fill me in on geographical info from that, go for it!

#26 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:27 PM

First paragraph of The Lees of Laughter's End:

West of Theft, The Tithe Strait opens out into the Wastes. A vast stretch of ocean through which naught but the adventurous and the foolhardy dared brave the treacherous, dubious sea-lanes as far as the Red Road of Laughter's End, and from there, onward to the islands of the Seguleh and the southern coast of Genabackis, where the lands of Lamatath offered sordid refuge for pirates, wastrels, the rare trader and the ubiquitous pilgrim ships of the Fallen God.

Mention of the Seguleh islandS confuses me rather, especially in that it comes before Genabackis...
Possibly make Genabackis more stubby, and move the Seguleh islands a bit further east?
Also, the lack of mention of the Lether continent might suggest a straight-line path between Theft, or at least Korel, and South Genabackis. Confusing.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#27 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:01 PM

(confused)

Does it mean east of Theft, because it doesn't make any sense at all otherwise? Going west you'd bump into Seven Cities and Lether before reaching Genabackis, and why go around the entire planet when you could just go a much shorter way north and east?

#28 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:40 PM

I like the new map Wert, but a few points:

Looking through the books again it seems more likely that the crimson guard were crossing Jackuru not to return to assail to help their compatriots there, but to return home to Quon Tali, especially considering that Iron Bars and co are said to appear in return of the crimson gaurd. My mistake.

The people of Cabal seem to be called the cabalhii, and interestingly seem to have strong links to the seven cities, living on in the seven city folk lore even today, so possibly the cabal islands are closer to the seven cities mainland.

I'd say Jackuru was closer to korel and stratem, as in your previous map, it being suggested that travelling from korel to jacuruku was easily done when k'rul crossed to that continent.

I'd also swap theft and the sea of storms around, the malaz island and the stormwall on the north coast of korelli seem to be the areas which keep the stormriders away from the mainland, and the impression I got was that Theft was away from these waters, with relatively easy access by sea.

Oh and I got the impression somewhere that kolanse was in the east of the lether continent, and that the continent definitely stretches further to the east with the mountainous wildlands containing the k'chain in this direction. Looking at info redmask gives of his travels will probably give the best idea on that sort of thing.

And if its any help I've been consistently getting the impression that the malaz world is vast, and possibly bigger than earth, so I wouldn't feel to constrained with the size of the planet...

#29 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:44 PM

It definitely says west, though I agree, east would certainly make more sense. Maybe if 7C is moved further north, and Lether further south, then there might be a feasable route.

Also, in RG, the sea between Malaz and Theft are descirbed as straits, so very narrow, I would imagine. Maybe thats the Tithe Strait.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#30 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:00 PM

Okay, I'm going to take these on board and then redo the map once I finish the book.

The whole thing about going west from Theft really has me scratching my head. He must mean east, especially because going that way you reach Seguleh (whose location is fixed by MoI) and then Lamatath (seen on the Genabackis maps).

#31 User is offline   kcf 

• High Fist

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:30 PM

I think it's safe to assume that the east-west issue is a typo.

#32 User is offline   henk 

• Corporal

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:06 PM

in the glossary at the end of the book it says cabil is an island nation south of perisch it's soutwest now maybe that needs to be fixed

#33 User is offline   Kallor 

• First Sword

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:38 PM

it's still upside down ... wait, maybe it's me ...

#34 Guest_Swordbearer_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:37 PM

Hey Wert just a suggestion but maybe join all the continents together as a Gondwanaland super continent, to see if they fit.
Then do a tectonic drift on them as per our own planet.
When they are joined together it should give a basis for how large the planet is allso.
Dont mean to make things more difficult.
Cheers.
:D

#35 User is offline   Murrin 

• First Sword

Posted 24 May 2007 - 01:59 AM

I noticed that the map was missing any land east of the Awl'dan, and since I got the impression that the wastelands were pretty large, I looked it up to check, and found these lines: "He had seen the results east of the wastelands, in far Kolanse", and, "It is said he travelled east, into the wildlands between here and Kolanse." Those quotes would suggest that Kolanse should be moved on this map to the eastern (or southeastern?) edge of the continent.

#36 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:09 AM

Thinking a re-design once I've read Night of Knives, which seems to have a bearing on the Malaz Island/Stormwall/Korelri/Stratem relationship.

Question: do people think 'The Reach' is synonymous with 'Reacher's Ocean'? And is it more likely that 'the Malaz Strait' is between Malaz Island and Quon Tali, or between Malaz and Korel? I'm thinking that the Tithe Strait could be the straits between Korelri and Stratem based on CB's quote from The Lees of Laughter's End plus the opening page of Night of Knives (which I read in a bookshop today).

#37 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:42 PM

Werthead;182102 said:

...I have not read The Lees of Laughter's End. Anyone wanting to fill me in on geographical info from that, go for it!

Small note... SPOILERS SPOILERS ENTIRELY MINOR INSIGNIFICANT
LEES OF LAUGHTERS SPOILERS END SPOILERSMAY RUIN THE ENTIRE
MALAZAN SERIES SPOILERS OMG WTF SPOILERS PILLAGE BURN SPOILERS
FASTER PUSSYCAT KILL KILL SPOILER SPOILER

Spoiler

- Abyss, es.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#38 User is offline   phart 

• Fist

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:58 PM

Werthead;182059 said:

Proposed solution: moving Korelri closer to Malaz Island. The Sea of Storms to the south of Malaz is presumably the same sea that washes along the northern shorts of Korelri (hence why the natives are the Stormriders and the north coast of Korelri is protected by the Stormwall).

This allows Korelri and Stratem to be increased in size as per SE's comments last year. Jacuruku needs to be close to Korelri's east coast (IIRC Mael walks across Jacuruku to reach its 'sister continent' of Korelri in MoI). Assail is south of Genabackis and west of Lether. Its location in comparison to Jacuruku/Korelri is unclear but hopefully the new RG info should expand on it. Can someone give me a page reference for this passage about Assail/Jacuruku?

The ocean between Lether and Seven Cities is 'vast', and presumably the closest Pacific analogue on Malazworld (aka 'Wu').

Stuff it would be great to find out from SE or ICE:

How large Western Seven Cities is in comparison to SC itself. I could perhaps scale it back somewhat and move Lether further east to free up some room in the southern oceans.

Is the planet bigger than Earth? If it is, this would make life a hell of a lot easier.

How big is a league? 3 miles (the traditional length)? If it's 1 league = 1 mile than actually the world maps need to be changed radically (although the Chain of Dogs probably wouldn't have needed 4-5 months to cover 500 miles, whilst they definitely would have done to cover 1,500). At the moment Seven Cities is about the same size as the Continental United States, which I'm not too sure is right or not.

It'll be also good to resolve the six/seven continent discrepency.

league is three miles normally.

The fact iron bars travel to jarak is not biggy i dont think, if they circumvent assail they could still land on jarak travel east to west jump on a boat and get to Koreli, but and this is a big but, is it saying they are going back to Assail? I dont think it is, i think they are heading back to koreli and from there quon tali to topple the empress.

#39 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:38 PM

Whilst a league is 'normally' 3 miles and in fantasy is especially used at that value (by Tolkien and Martin, among others), it's not set in stone. Jordan uses 4 miles to a league in his books, and in history the value of a league varied from about 2 miles to nearly 17 miles!

#40 User is offline   WickanPagan 

• Recruit

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:18 PM

Firstly , Amazing Job Werthead.
This rendering looks much better than what I had in mind.
Secondly, the Malaz planet is called WU?
I was also very intrugued about the origins of the Tiste and their planet /dimension (?) of origin.IF they are from a different "planet" how did they come to reach this world?
Also, if you are considering the planet to be a geoid it will have poles and an equator.Seven cities seems perfectly fit in the equatorial zone.But what about Lether?It is not as hot as Seven cities climatically..and I'd presume it to be more temperate(Which would mean it has to be a bit to the north) because right now if i consider an equator going thru the centre of this map, the Tundra region of Lether is falling in the same line as seven cities..hence I feel we need to move the continent of Lether a lil bit to the north.
Just my 2 cents.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users