Malazan Empire: Mappo was healed by Ardata, Elder Goddess of Spiders, vassal of Kallor - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mappo was healed by Ardata, Elder Goddess of Spiders, vassal of Kallor

#21 User is offline   Jheral 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:44 PM

Abyss;146321 said:

It's possible she wasn't a goddess at the time Kallor was demanding tribute.

- Abyss, assumes the open nature of above post doesn't merit negative rep this time.

Perfectly true. She might have Ascended after Kallor's empire fell. There's certainly nothing to disprove that theory, aside from Mappo thinking she's Elder. At least, nothing I can remember. :D
In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.

#22 User is offline   Bl1nder 

• Fist

Posted 22 December 2006 - 03:53 PM

but if you think about it, do we even know how old Mappo is? I know that the Nameless Idiots helped him live beyond the normal years for a Trell, but do we know his age exactly? What im getting with this is, is that if Mappo is old enough, perhaps him thinking Ardatha is a Elder is quite true
I have stolen princesses from sleeping barrow kings
I have burned the town of Trebon
I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life
I was expelled from the University at a younger age most people are allowed in
I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during the day
I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make minstrels cry
You may have heard of me....

#23 User is offline   Wry 

• High Fist
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:06 PM

As far as i remember Mappo is several hundered years old, not tens of thousand.
Presumably from that perspective he may think she was "elder" whether she was an actaul elder god or just an old god.
“Arm yourself, Watson, there is an evil hand afoot ahead"

#24 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:17 PM

What does how old Mappo is have to do with his perspective of elder gods?

As far as I can tell Elder God is just a term used to describe the gods that were a part of the old pantheon. K'rul, Draconus, Nightchill, Mael, Osric (though he is still worshiped)
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#25 User is offline   Bl1nder 

• Fist

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:50 PM

Yes but, osric is part of the new pnatheon aswell, so is k'rul i think... oh nevermind i give up :D

#26 User is offline   Dark Mac 

• Emperor

Posted 22 December 2006 - 06:45 PM

Jheral;146492 said:

Perfectly true. She might have Ascended after Kallor's empire fell. There's certainly nothing to disprove that theory, aside from Mappo thinking she's Elder. At least, nothing I can remember. :D

Healing someone from over 100,000 years in the future would be quite a feat for someone who's not ascended. Not to mention that we have no indication of her being widely worshipped in that period, so it only makes sense that her worship base was at its height long before.

#27 User is offline   Jheral 

• Sergeant

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:51 AM

Dark Mac;146590 said:

Healing someone from over 100,000 years in the future would be quite a feat for someone who's not ascended. Not to mention that we have no indication of her being widely worshipped in that period, so it only makes sense that her worship base was at its height long before.

And how do we know that she "healed him 100,000 years in the future"? Just because Silchas Ruin showed the fall of the crippled god to Brys Beddict, doesn't mean that he took him back in time, right?
In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.

#28 User is offline   Dark Mac 

• Emperor

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:40 AM

Jheral;146702 said:

And how do we know that she "healed him 100,000 years in the future"? Just because Silchas Ruin showed the fall of the crippled god to Brys Beddict, doesn't mean that he took him back in time, right?

Uh, IIRC, she talks about how she's about to lose her throne (or just did?), which would've been around the time of the end of Kallor's empire. So, I don't see how that healing could be achieved without some sort of temporal breach...after all, there's a difference between looking at something and mending someone's flesh.

#29 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 23 December 2006 - 01:10 PM

It was a memory, similar to where Osric was staying and watching the KCCM and Deragoth in Raruku's memories. Neither of them were really there.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#30 User is offline   Dark Mac 

• Emperor

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:54 PM

In that case, I'm not sure exactly how it works. How can a memory kill you if it's not real?

#31 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 24 December 2006 - 01:32 AM

Dark Mac;146814 said:

In that case, I'm not sure exactly how it works. How can a memory kill you if it's not real?

L'oric was pretty sure the Deragoth in the "memory of Raraku" were going to kill him. And Greyfrog came from that memory, and is assuredly real. I suppose a similar situation was occuring with Ardat(h)a living in the past somehow.

#32 User is offline   Bl1nder 

• Fist

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:51 AM

Living in the past... that sounds a bit demented imho

-Bl1nder, is exploring the secrets of time and space

#33 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 24 December 2006 - 03:00 PM

Bl1nder;146886 said:

Well, it's what she said she was doing, so you'll have to accept it.

#34 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:48 PM

Bl1nder;146886 said:

K'Rul living inside someone's dream for the most part of Gardens or an entire warren for the Imass in the mhybe's dream? Seems logical to you then;)
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#35 User is offline   Bl1nder 

• Fist

Posted 25 December 2006 - 05:34 PM

Jen said:

K'Rul living inside someone's dream for the most part of Gardens or an entire warren for the Imass in the mhybe's dream? Seems logical to you then;)

Aye it does :D

But yeah, theres no argument here, anything can be possible in MBotF

-Bl1nder, agress with everything and everyone today

#36 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 December 2006 - 03:52 PM

I would just like to point out that I seriously doubt Ardata is _still_ a vassal of Kallor, as I assumed you were suggesting from your title.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#37 User is offline   Talon 

• Corporal

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:07 AM

Just a crazy theory here...but at the end of BH in Kartool the spiders are waiting to spring their traps /webs.....so maybe something to do with Ardata or just pure insectoid hunger! Again, I stress, just a crazy theory!

#38 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:53 PM

Could Ardata have any relevance to the positions of weaver, or spinner, or even seamstress as mentioned in the various high houses of light, dark, death, life?
The description of her being, hair like flames and eyes the hue of beaten gold. Doesn't that resemble some other character? Can't remember it now. But maybe that appearance was a deception.

But something else just came to mind, and it may work too. If she is someone in hiding for a long time, could she possibly be APSALAR, Lady of thieves? It is stated that she's been missing form the pantheon for ages, though the statement of her being an Imass doesn't tally with the physical description.

'..the Mistress of Thieves, who had vanished from the pantheon long ago, although, if the legends of Darujhistan held any truth, she had reappeared briefly less than a century past, only to vanish a second time.'
'An Imass? There are no iconic representations of the Mistress - which is odd enough, possibly a prohibition enforced by the temples. What are her symbols? oh yes. Footprints. And a veil' (BH UK Tpb, p.40)

Now, a veil can easily resemble a web, and the spider imagery could also easily apply to a thief.

I don't know , I'm all confused again.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#39 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:41 PM

its mildly viable, but would a thief be a good healer?

#40 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:51 PM

Alrighty, so here's a little bit of my $0.02.

It's almost guaranteed that Ardata and Ardatha are the same person. I think it's also likely that Ardata is an EG. EG of what? Well, let's keep in mind that through her connection to her goddess, Mogora made the entire moon seem nearer to Wu. The question remains whether the moon actually was nearer, or whether this was a trick of light, but if I remember correctly, there were beginning to be repercussions to the moon being so close to Wu. So perhaps Ardata is EG of the moon, or the night, or something of that sort?

Next, you all seem to be saying that just because she hasn't been mentioned before, this must mean that she couldn't be an Elder Goddess. But then, let's look at the fact that up until Bonehunters and the Reaper's Gale prologue we only heard VERY seldomly, and in passing ONLY, about Kilmandaros. Doesn't mean that she isn't important or won't be powerful, blah blah blah.

Next, Ardata herself says that she has been in hiding for sometime. She seems to be saying this from four or five years AFTER the fall of the Crippled God, just before Kallor destroys his empire so as to stop the Elder Gods from taking it from him. It makes sense for her to be pretending to be Ardatha, queen of whatever land she's queen of. She realizes that Kallor is about to come down on her and destroy her, but because she's got spiffy Elder Goddess powers, she makes herself disappear. So, what better place to hide than in the past? I mean, compared to the whole storyline of Udinaas' kid growing up so quickly in the Imass dreamworld thing that he's in, or the memory of the past that Osserc hides in, doesn't an Elder Goddess hiding in time make sense? And it doesn't even have to necessarily be in the ACTUAL past. Why couldn't she just be hiding in a memory of Jackuruku just before Kallor destroyed it? Same idea as Osserc, and if she IS, in fact, an Elder Goddess, it would make pretty much complete sense.

I know that the above points are a little disjointed, but gimme a break, I haven't done critical thinking exercises in a while. But I can't help but agree with DM here, it all seems to fit together just too well for it to be mere coincidence.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users