Malazan Empire: What is it about this book that's hard to get into? - Malazan Empire

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is it about this book that's hard to get into?

#161 User is offline   Heart of the Fallen 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

Maybe I am too much of a fantasy genre lover, but I had no problem at all starting up the novel and being consumed by it. Fact of the matter is, it had been quite a bit since I had enjoyed a book as much as I did GotM. My one criticism for it is that the characterization is not always that good, even if not flat either, just sort of... abrupt?. I found myself observing this mostly when with Lorn or Paran, not all that much with others.

On a somewhat unrelated note, the introductory poem is one of my favorite bits ever~

This post has been edited by Heart of the Fallen: 26 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

#162 User is offline   Dwolf63 

• Recruit

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

I had seen GotM in the local bookstore for over a year and resisted buying it. I had been tempted briefly by the fact Donaldson had recommended it, and I sort of have a love-hate thing with Donaldson's Covanent books. I finally picked up GotM and Deadhouse gates together back in 2002.

Now I'd read a lot of fantasy of many different styles til then. I was used to having to hit the ground running. It still took me a bit to get a sense of what was going on. I didn't find it upsetting. It didn't deter me. But I just found I would have to stop and go back and reread whole sections to make sure I got things straight.

To some degree it was also a need to get used to Erikson's writing style. He has a different flow than a lot of other authors had back then. I think partly, knowing what I do now about how the novel evolved, he was still finding his voice.

I had read and enjoyed the Glen Cook Black Company books back in the mid 80's and I immediately saw the Cook influence in Erikson's stuff. I'd been craving more fantasy of that ilk. I didn't need that extra motivation to keep going but it didn't hurt.

I think as someone earlier in the thread posted, it took me about a third of the book to start to get comfortable with it all, after which I no longer had to go back and reread sections.

After reading the first two in about ten day's time, I re-read them when Memories of Ice came out in paperback. I then reread all the prior books each time before starting the new one. It's a treat rereading them now picking up bits of foreshadowing, dropped hints and so on that entirely flew by on the first read through. I think the real payback of the complexity of the novel is it has way more rereadability than a "simpler" novel would have.

#163 User is offline   lastname 

• Lieutenant

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

Yeah I'd heard from quite a few who said they felt confused at the start and from a couple who actually gave up at that point. Been putting off getting started on this series for that reason but finally decided to take the plunge.

I read the book pretty slowly and slightly warily, especially the first third or so. Perhaps for that reason, I never did feel completely lost or anything. I thought the start was fresh and exciting to be honest.

#164 User is offline   wade 

• more interesting African Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

View Postlastname, on 14 June 2012 - 06:11 PM, said:

Yeah I'd heard from quite a few who said they felt confused at the start and from a couple who actually gave up at that point. Been putting off getting started on this series for that reason but finally decided to take the plunge.

I read the book pretty slowly and slightly warily, especially the first third or so. Perhaps for that reason, I never did feel completely lost or anything. I thought the start was fresh and exciting to be honest.

They only get better :harhar: Welcome to the forums, lastname!

#165 User is offline   Blind Sapper 

• Captain
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

I tried suggesting this book (and the series) to a friend of mine, but he had some sort of electronic book pad thing where he could "sampe" the book and decided it wasn't worth reading. So then, I gave him my copy (from the library. Yes, I am stupid.) to take with him on vacation. He hasn't started it...I really do not get it. He's kind of a fruit, but I think he's at the right reading level to appreciate the book.
I guess this is just a complaint, mutated into a question. Do you think that some people don't go for it because of the size, or writing style, or what? I liked it immediately because the prologue was cool and the world was new and unique -- do you think this throws some people off?
PSI Rockin' since 199X

#166 User is offline   JW16 

• Recruit

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:42 PM

The first Time I tried to read it, I didn't get very far. The way it was written was a bit different from what I am used to and it takes a bit to adjust to a different style and follow it. I had the same problem with Way of Kings by Sanderson but, just like this book, I loved it once I adjusted and was able to dive in. There is also the way you are dropped into the middle and have to dig backwards to understand what is going on as you move forward. That normally isn't as big of a deal but for the first immersion in a new world while adjusting to stylistic differences it can be daunting. Then again it may be about one's state of mind when you start. The first time I tried I gave up, but the second time it was easy to follow. Go figure.

#167 User is offline   Phaedrus 

• Recruit

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:13 AM

Im on my second read of the series, chapter eleven and I honestly dont know why people have a hard time. I mean other than you basically being tossed into an ongoing plot- but once you get settled it all falls together. Read the poetry and look up terms that you dont get and its all pretty clear I think.

#168 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

I agree. GotM is not difficult. For me, it's been, by far, the easiest Malazan read.

I think many people grew up on fantasy that was more along the lines of: 1) Character A travels to Point B and meets Character C. 2) Character C joins the quest and they both travel to Point D. 3) So on and so forth.

So I can see how it might be jarring to some. I found it invigorating to be dropped in the middle of the story, rather than starting at the very beginning with young orphan boy sweeping out his master's shop while daydreaming of a higher destiny...or some similar literary cliche...
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#169 User is offline   RACHEL 

• Captain

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

I had seen these books at the bookstore and I wasn't sure if I should start this or another series. I read about this one on wikipedia and I was interested so I bought the books and loved them. If someone is having a hard time understanding or getting into these books I think a quick read on wikipedia can be helpful. I know about the fact that this can "spoil" certain things in the book but it will also give them enough info so they won't be wondering what the hell is going on.

#170 User is offline   hadoken13 

• Corporal

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

Personally, I don't understand why people give up on this book. I hadn't really read many fantasy books apart from Tolkien and Feist (I know!!) and my brother, who has read almost every fantasy series there is, gave me the book. He didn't say anything apart from it being one of, if not, the best series he's read. After the first few pages I knew I was reading an epic tale and all I asked was could he loan me the other books.

Like others on here, I've tried to get mates, who say they're fantasy fans, to read it but they give up. As was mentioned above they expect easily-explained plot-lines and character backgrounds outlined clearly. All I can say is it's their loss.

#171 User is offline   meileen 

• Recruit

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

this is the first mbotf that ive read, that was last oct 29 this year. was ecstatic, couldnt put the book down. didnt have much trouble, too many things going on the book that kept me on my toes.

by mid nov i was done reading steven eriksons. now down to ices stoneweilder (orb scepter throne was the third ice ive read unfortunately). perhaps its steven eriksons style that could be somewhat off putting for it took some chapters for me to get used to.

#172 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

I couldn't get through it because the last 30 pages were stuck together. Don't ask why. All the stranger as it was an e-book.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#173 User is offline   Yeffrey 

• Recruit

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:19 AM

I bought this book a couple years ago, based on a coworker's recommendation while he was reading Toll the Hounds. I tried to get into it, got frustrated with Erikson's writing style, and ended up quitting it 100 pages in. I read some reviews and forums like this one, and decided to give it another chance. I'm so glad I did, as I understand his writing style and how he doesn't explain things right away. I read GotM and now have bought the remaining 9 books. This series has entranced me, and it will with any other fantasy fan if they give it a chance.
Best books I've ever read; bar none.

This post has been edited by Yeffrey: 25 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

#174 User is offline   urouge 

• Recruit

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

I got into the story really fast and loved it from the get go. I stumbled on garden of the moons after checking out a review on the blight of mages. I saw that GOTM was one of the recomended books on the site and had a better score than blight of mages. that picked my curiosity and decided to give it a try. I can safely say that it's the best book i've ever read and that I can't wait to start reading the next books in the serie.

#175 User is offline   Ulysses 

• Corporal

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

absolutely nothing

#176 User is offline   Zuzu Bolin 

• Corporal

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

Didn't find it hard until near the end when Azath came into it. Really didn't get what that was all about and am reluctant to browse as I don't want future plots being spoiled.

#177 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

Yeah, the Azath is a major what the fuck. But I agree, don't look anything up, just keep reading.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#178 User is offline   Jagh-o-matic 

• Tenescowri

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

I didn't have a problem with the difficulty of making sense of anything just because I don't mind that at all. Nor did I have any trouble getting through the book, but there were a couple of things that did detract from it for me: one, the writing style, particularly in the area of character development, as many have pointed out, is pretty flat. I think SE's "voice" grows by leaps and bounds over the next two books, and while not really departing from his original style, he starts to make it work better for him. It's an ensemble production, not so much driven by the inner lives of the characters but by sweeping geopolitical developments. Contrast, for example, George Martin, who obviously has plenty of politics, but is really good at drawing you in to the individual character's personal journeys.

Two, there's a heavy RPG influence here, and it takes a few books to overcome the sense of things being too pat and compartmentalized (Hi, I'm a mage, I'm an assassin, I'm an elder god, my warren is Meanas, what's yours?). I never read any of the overtly RPG-derived books on the market, so this seemed a tiny bit off putting - despite the fact that I am a heavy consumer of cRPGs myself. As the story unfolds in successive books, however, one begins to see that all of these categorizations that initially come off as superficial and simplistic are supported by such an unbelievable depth of world-building logic that they actually start to make perfect sense within the physics/metaphysics of the Malazan universe. That to me is one of the great achievements here - to be able to work backward from a cliched, paper-thin (oblique pun intended) system of modeling attributes and professions and create a universe in which it is perfectly plausible and indeed fascinating. After you spend enough time in MBotF, the existence and nature of, say, Kurald Emurlahn, starts to make almost as much sense as the existence and nature of our solar system does within the constraints of our universe. Well, maybe not Kurald Emurlahn...
What?

#179 User is offline   Khestrassa 

• Recruit

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

View PostDefiance, on 24 April 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

Yeah, the Azath is a major what the fuck. But I agree, don't look anything up, just keep reading.

I love fantasy books with a unique way to use magic. Therefore I fell in love with GoTM in the very begining at Pale, hey there is magic everywhere! Not just some old guy do some swings with a staff once in while, not some creepy people in the cold planes with glooming blue eyes and nothing much more else in every 500. pages, etc. And the moment where I was ultimatly lost in this universe was the Azath's rising. But it's just me ofc :-)

#180 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

I don't know how anyone can read the Pre-prologue and not want to read the whole book.
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users