Malazan Empire: What is it about this book that's hard to get into? - Malazan Empire

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is it about this book that's hard to get into?

#1 User is offline   Agraba 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:00 PM

When I suggest this to people, they always have such a hard time getting into the beginning. Even someone I met in univ. said she tried the beginning, and stopped reading. When reading the beginning of GotM, I kept going on and off, and it took me about a week to get the first chapter or so done.

It's a little slow to get exciting, isn't it? Could SE have been much more famous if he made a more compelling introduction.

#2 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:32 PM

It's just too much with too little exposition, I think. You just get dropped in at the deep end, and it takes some perseverance before you learn to swim.

But once you can, staying afloat couldn't be more enjoyable.

#3 User is offline   Agraba 

• Emperor

Posted 03 December 2006 - 06:08 PM

I know, but maybe he could've been so much more successful if he started people on a slope until about halfway into the book.

#4 Guest_Wonga Dude_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:13 AM

I've had the same problem trying to read this book.
I checked it out from the library...didnt get interested so i returned it.
Then i rechecked it out and returned it again.

I really want to read these books but reading the first one was hard getting into like you said

#5 User is offline   Varunwe 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:Larp, reading, watching tv

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:55 AM

I had no problems getting into the book. Sure, at the beginning I didn't have a clue what was going on, but that made it all the more interesting.

#6 User is offline   High House Death 

• Corporal

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:01 PM

The bad part is that the reader is left to fill in the details, especially regarding the magic system. However, it's highly worth it to persevere.

#7 User is offline   Reborn 

• Captain

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:33 PM

I experienced no problems when reading the book, and despite the fact that it was rather confusing for the first hundred pages I was practically hooked from the beginning, which occurs too seldom. I understand why some people are discouraged, though, but I, personally, enjoyed the way you were thrown into the story head-first.

#8 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:31 AM

People are so used to being spoonfed everything in a book it bothers them when they don't know what's going on at first. It's just very different from most other things out there.
Error: Signature not valid

#9 User is offline   Falco 

• First Sword

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:30 AM

I loved the fact that you got dropped into the middle of the action. It was a great hook I thought. It just confuses a lot of people apparently.

#10 Guest_Monk_*

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:10 PM

I don't think I experienced any difficulty with the beginning, because I read Memories of Ice first. So I was probably more excited to read it because I could find out about these characters I was already familiar with.

#11 User is offline   Achak Bemossed 

• Recruit

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:44 PM

I think the amount of Characters has something to do with it as well. When I read through the Dramatis Personae bit I was all like 'What the Hell?' In a way it was a relief that a lot of them died of soon.

It was the part with Crokus and the rooftop chase that got me hooked (I'm a big fan of the Thief game series)

#12 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:00 PM

Now see, it's not so much the beginning-that's-not-really-a-beginning that I found difficult, it's just the sheer volume of information that SE hurls at you on every page. Hurts my itty bitty head...
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#13 Guest_Kicker_*

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:37 AM

I agree. Usually, fantasy books have a beginning that is the beginning, so to speak. With GotM, you get thrown in without any real information about what going on. You have to work it out for yourself, which is why I like Malazan Book of the Fallen so much.

#14 Guest_griffith_*

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:59 PM

Varunwe;141347 said:

I had no problems getting into the book. Sure, at the beginning I didn't have a clue what was going on, but that made it all the more interesting.
Ditto.

#15 User is offline   Zoso 

• Recruit

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:41 AM

It was a new world and a lot gets thrown at you from the start. I was drawn in but knew so little and I'm one of those that needs to know why is why if you know what I mean. With all that info you still don't have near enough to understand this new world, so I feel this can make it rough to get past the first book and or at least the first few chapters. I have read the first book and second book two times before moving on to the third just to get a better understanding. I'm glad I did! ;)

#16 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:18 PM

In the first hundred pages or so, you're thrown into a war you know nothing about, ref'd a bunch of significant characters who appear to have died just before you got there, a magic system that seems to make no sense at all, some non-humans who resemble neither elves, dwarves or anything else familiar, a bunch of gods who seem to be good guys, working against an empire who also seem to be good guys, some oversized dogs who use armies as chew toys, all the good guys are ambiguous enough to be bad guys and the only good guy is an overweight sorceress who just allowed a bunch of soldiers to be killed...

It's a bit much if all you're used to is 'Rand al'Thor walked thru the forest...' ;)

- Abyss, loved that about the book.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#17 User is offline   blewin 

• High Fist

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:28 AM

I actually picked up book 2 first, so getting into book 1 was no problem as it filled in some holes for me. Still, I wish I had read book 1 first. Though book 2 was still enormously enjoyable, it would have been an even greater read had I read the series in order. ;)

for those of you who have given up or are close to giving up, please, continue to read on! this series is so fabulous and awesome. It is exactly what the stale fantasy genre needs. You'll never have read anything like it! You won't regret crawling through that first few chapters to get there.

Or if you're desperate, read book 2 first.

#18 Guest_MightyDragnipur_*

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:37 PM

Yeah, this also happened with me... When I first bought the book I read to about the part when theres the mage battle near the floating fortress (forgot the name lol :S) at which point I had to put the book down and didn't read it for about a year.
When I next picked it up however, my expectations weren't high, I just thought I'd try to grind through the beginning as I didn't have anything else to read at the time, reading it carefully however gave it that clarification it needed, I began to understand (vaguely) what was happening etc. Then it got awesome!

#19 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:38 PM

Reborn;141584 said:

I experienced no problems when reading the book, and despite the fact that it was rather confusing for the first hundred pages I was practically hooked from the beginning, which occurs too seldom. I understand why some people are discouraged, though, but I, personally, enjoyed the way you were thrown into the story head-first.

I second that:)
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#20 User is offline   Urko Crust 

• Lieutenant

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:58 AM

I like when i havent got a clue what is going on, makes you think more about what you are reading. I dont like the Dramatis Personae at all it nearly put me off and i still dont like it in the later books. Bit irrational, i just ignore it now.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users