• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ganath

#1 User is offline   Jimmy 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:37 AM

Is she the same one that Karsa beds? I'm to lazy to reread HOC and find the passage.

#2 User is offline   GardenGnome 

• Emperor

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:47 AM

No Ganath mentioned in the Dramatis Personae - that's the quickest way to check :D

#3 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:58 AM

Nope. It was Aramilla or something similar. Ara-something.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#4 User is offline   Saccian 

• Sergeant

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:03 AM

Yeah, its Aramala.

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:22 AM

Especially since, if I'm not completely wrong, Ganoes encounters Ganath just as she's shrugged of her hibernation to check what has broken her wards. She's completely ignorant of the Continent and peoples around her.

#6 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:36 PM

Ganath is the one who helps him release the Deragoth, right?

*is planning a reread of the whole series*
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7 User is offline   Blind 

• High Fist

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:06 PM

Yes, she's the one who travels with Paran when he frees the Deragoth; and who gets killed by KCCM later.

#8 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:06 PM

Yes Ganath only appears in BH and given her fate wont appear again. The one KArsa slept with (although i didnt think he did the first time i read it.) was aramala. The other one was cynigig. Very confusing all these jaghut turning up despite being extinct

#9 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:46 PM

Indeed. A Species should know when they are extinct. :D

Which one was the one in the tree then?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#10 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:48 PM

Phyrillis, or something. Damn Jaghut names.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#11 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:33 PM

The three Jaghuts karsa meet are Cynnigig, Phyrlis and Aramala. I believe the one speared on the House is Phyrlis aswell.

#12 User is offline   kkyyyssss 

• Corporal

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:30 PM

yup, cynnigi is the one with the broken back who tavels in a chest...

#13 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:53 PM

I have a question about Ganath, this seems like an appropriate place to ask:

When she first escapes from her prison and meets Paran, she doesn't even know what humans are.

BH, on page 325, said:

"What manner of creature are you?"

- Ganath to Paran

Then later, just before she parts ways with Paran, she says

BH, on page 449, said:

"This valley leads west to Raraku sea, beyond the inside range; and east, through a little-used pass, down to the city of G'danisban." She hesitated, then added, "it has been a long time since I have been this far east...this close to cities of your kind."

How can this be - at first Ganath did not know what race Paran was, let alone where human cities would be, and suddenly she knows a lot about history she was previously ignorant of.

Just a minor inconsistency?

#14 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:35 PM

Dolorous Menhir;135191 said:

I have a question about Ganath, this seems like an appropriate place to ask:

When she first escapes from her prison and meets Paran, she doesn't even know what humans are.

Then later, just before she parts ways with Paran, she says

How can this be - at first Ganath did not know what race Paran was, let alone where human cities would be, and suddenly she knows a lot about history she was previously ignorant of.

Just a minor inconsistency?

I don't remember all their conversations, but couldn't it be that a very old an very intelligent being like a Jaghut, quickly realises the connection between Imass and Human and maybe even Eres'al?

I don't remember if there's supposed to have been big settlements of Imass on 7C, but the Beast throne was once there.

#15 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:55 PM

Ganath could immediately see that Paran, a human, was an Imass descendent. Since he spoke and looked like a taller, thinner Imass. But still, she was totally ignorant of the human race - she had been imprisoned for longer than it had existed.

That's quite an impediment to deducing the name and position of human cities - which are not the same as older human cities on Seven Cities, let alone Imass cities from even further in the past. So it doesn't make any sense that Ganath could not know what humans are, and then later refer to visiting human cities in the distant past.

#16 User is offline   Bl1nder 

• Fist

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:08 AM

Or meaby it is just that the Human city was build over a old Imass city, and by "your kind" ganath means T'lan Imass
I have stolen princesses from sleeping barrow kings
I have burned the town of Trebon
I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life
I was expelled from the University at a younger age most people are allowed in
I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during the day
I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make minstrels cry
You may have heard of me....

#17 User is offline   Urko Crust 

• Lieutenant

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:15 PM

she doesnt actually say that she had been imprisoned since the human race evolved. maybe she just didnt recognise him as human at first. being imprisoned is probably not good for your memory?

#18 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:21 AM

Urko Crust;136014 said:

she doesnt actually say that she had been imprisoned since the human race evolved. maybe she just didnt recognise him as human at first. being imprisoned is probably not good for your memory?

So she didn't say she had been imprisoned that long. She didn't have to, it was pretty heavily implied by her not actually knowing what a human was, no? I don't believe that she just "forgot" what humans were for a bit. Jaghut don't seem to be unconscious or at rest in such prisons (well, Raest was, but Ganath managed to break out on her own whereas he couldn't, so I think she was under a different type of imprisonment).

#19 User is offline   Jimmy 

• Lieutenant

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:52 AM

Just thought I'd ask because she's mentioned somewhere else as well, can't remember where tho.

Also she mention the other 2 Jaghut, Phyillis and cyrinnig or whatever their names are.

#20 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:28 PM

If you are talking about Ganath, Jimmy, before we see her in the main story of BH there's a chapter heading about her and two other Jaghut.

It was at the start of Chapter 8, page 321, and the other two Jaghut were Sarkanos & Ivindonos. They exchanged a few profundities on a battlefield, and that was about it.

I don't remember Ganath mentioning Phyrllis & Cynnigig after she meets Paran though.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users