• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New powerhouse

#21 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 14 October 2006 - 10:10 AM

GardenGnome;124310 said:

Ah, my bad. I thought he said just KCCM. Indeed, there is no proof of living KCCM anywhere, as far as I know.

Good point. I agree. Maybe people should stop suggesting the companions are KCCM.

#22 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 14 October 2006 - 11:40 AM

Dolorous Menhir;124381 said:

Good point. I agree. Maybe people should stop suggesting the companions are KCCM.

Why? Like someone above said, they don't have to be from Lether. He's just arrived back from being away, after all.

Unless the point being made is that there's no proof of living KCCM anywhere in the world, which isn't true as I can think of at least three (or four?). Karsa killed one, and the others killed Ganath.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#23 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 October 2006 - 11:54 AM

polishgenius;124388 said:

Why? Like someone above said, they don't have to be from Lether. He's just arrived back from being away, after all.

Unless the point being made is that there's no proof of living KCCM anywhere in the world, which isn't true as I can think of at least three (or four?). Karsa killed one, and the others killed Ganath.

You are mixing K'Chain Naruk with K'Chain Che'malle. I think the Ganath killers were ment to be Naruk because they were using tools, the one in the fort Karsa fought was a Chemalle... and finally the ones in the keeps are as of yet unknown. But we don't know of any active Chemalle, we only know that the Naruk are back. The one Karsa punched to death had been imprisoned for what could be hundreds of thousands of years.

#24 User is offline   The .303 bookworm 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 October 2006 - 04:16 PM

A Seguleh perhaps? Greymane maybe?

#25 User is offline   Tes'thesula 

• High House My House

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:14 PM

i thought the one karsa beat down was nahruk...stubby tail, machines in the stomach and all that jazz

#26 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:59 PM

Tes said:

i thought the one karsa beat down was nahruk...stubby tail, machines in the stomach and all that jazz

I concur.

The interesting thing was that there was only one in the pit. Where were the skykeep and the rest of them?

Was it a KCNR shorning?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27 User is offline   The .303 bookworm 

• Sergeant

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:01 PM

amphibian;124430 said:

I concur.

The interesting thing was that there was only one in the pit. Where were the skykeep and the rest of them?

Was it a KCNR shorning?

I thought he beat a Stub-tail, with the Nahruk being the ones in the Imperial warren and Sky-fortresses (That beat the Jaghut to death)?

#28 User is offline   The Rope 

• Fist

Posted 15 October 2006 - 01:04 AM

where did ganath get killed? i dont remember that...

#29 User is offline   The .303 bookworm 

• Sergeant

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:42 AM

The Rope;124475 said:

where did ganath get killed? i dont remember that...

Who's Gannath?
Do you mean the Jaghut female Paran encountered in TBH?

#30 User is offline   Dragnipurake 

• Captain

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:46 AM

the description of the fortress, or at least the pit itself that karsa descends before he meets the nah'ruk sounded like it was a sky keep (honey combed tomb, several tiers of windows and chambers, etc) similar to the one that icarium and mappo find sorrit in (which was where ganath was killed). i wonder why there is only one of those reptiles still there though.

#31 User is offline   Clip 

• Archaeologist

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:41 PM

the rest fled, perhaps?
mabye to get away from whatever brought the sky keep down
or they were killed and eaten
Eyes like moonlight on barbed wire

#32 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:52 PM

Short-tails and K'Chain Nah'ruk (KCNR) are two names for the same thing. They were the evolutionary ancestors of the KCCM, and went extinct. They were later resurrected by the Matrons (the implication being that the KCCM had genetic manipulation technology), used as slaves, and eventually rebelled. This history is from Kallor's narration in MoI, so trust it as much as you trust him, but I don't see how it would aid him to have lied about these details. Of course, he might just be plain wrong in the first place.

Karsa fought and killed a lone KCNR in the keep in BH, and he did it in style.

Ganath was ambushed and killed by KCNR at the end of BH (she reveals to the reader that they are aspected to order, and the KCCM are chaos-linked, as she lies dying).

Which of the two races inhabit the sky keeps seen in the Imperial Warren is unknown. I think Cotillion says they are KCCM, but we're not sure if he even knows that the KCNR exist, he may just be assuming that "sky keeps = KCCM" because he doesn't know any better. And no-one looked inside.

The reason I keep insisting the two companions from the RG prologue are not KCCM/NR is simple. Red Mask appears to be of a humanoid race. I seriously doubt that any KCCM or KCNR would ever travel with or even talk to members of another race, probably a vanilla human. All the evidence that we've seen of the reptilian races suggests that they simply fight everything and everyone. They don't talk, or interact in any other way, with other races.

Caveats - the KCCM we've seen so far have been dead (MT), undead (MoI, the K'ell Hunters) or insane (Pannion's Matron).

We've got two examples of KCNR behaviour, and they are
a) fighting Karsa, getting killed
:D fighting Ganath, winning swiftly.

No opportunity for much dialogue in either case there. But I really really don't think we'll see the KCNR use dialogue of deal with other characters. They're alien, genuinely so. They're not like the other races, which are pretty much just humans with different bodies. I think of them as dinosaurs.

#33 User is offline   Tiger_sword 

• First Sword

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:46 PM

technically advanced dinosaurs!!!

I think that they probably communicate in a way that other species cannot see. We haven't even seen two KC in the same scene (except in MoI where they were undead and probably wouldn't talk much and the end of BH where the action is too quick to see any hint of communication.

It would seam as if the matrons can communicate with other species though

#34 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 17 October 2006 - 02:01 PM

I think the KC probably could communicate, they just didn't bother with much else outside of themselves. Considering they're probably the most advanced civilisations we've had evidence of thus far, they can't be stupid enough to not be able to work it out if they have to.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 17 October 2006 - 03:53 PM

It is KCNR in the sky keeps... They don't have long tails, and neither do they have welded swords instead of hands. We've already encountered a dead one at the controls of some kind of vehicle, and we know that they were more advanced than the KCCM. MT prologue talks of Short tails inside the sky keeps.

Fwiw.. I think the one Karsa killed had been imprisoned for a loooooooong time and was either let loose by accident or managed to extricate itself from it's bindings, with the latter being the most likely. It's imprisoned in what is probably an old K'Chain city, from the mention of the mechanisms found around, and the antiquity of the place.. older than Ugarat itself. So that places it at least pre First Human Empire.

#36 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:04 PM

So would that imply that all KCNR have Jaghut-length life expectancies?

Or did Karsa take out a KCNR bigshot, an ascendant.

#37 Guest_figroll_*

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:08 PM

@ Hetan

From L'oric's experience when he finds his old man we can assume that the KC never settled in 7C. In fact I'm pretty sure it's stated as fact in that scene.

#38 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:13 PM

Oooh, good point. Perhaps they had a limited beachhead presence - was the fort Karsa fought it in coastal?

#39 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:29 PM

Imnsho, the city/fort was not KN/KC, but that the one Karsa fought was imprisoned under it by NOs.

Much has been made of the many, many cycles of civilization on 7C, so no reason it would be KC/KN moreso than just another human civilization, and the NOs have shown a definite penchant for binding powerful beings in place.

As usual, i don't get that... if you're powerful enough to force a creature to stay immobile in one place for a few thousand years, it seems to follow that you should be powerful enough to kill it.

- Abyss, reapplying suspension of disbelief.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:38 PM

Good point on the Nameless Ones Abyss... although it doesn't explain the mechanisms Samar Dev refers to.. unless they were found by the NO's and stored in the keep for examination... or summat :D

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users