Posted 08 February 2022 - 03:20 PM

Currently listening to a lot of Hitsujibungaku (Sheep Literature):

and Aimer:

#11922 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 February 2022 - 12:02 AM

New virtual instruments I'm considering:

It's like what the WoT soundtrack was going for, but... actually good.

#11923 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 February 2022 - 06:04 PM

Posted Image

[SECOND VIDEO MAY TRIGGER EPILEPSY]

#11924 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 February 2022 - 05:28 PM

Trying to decide between:

[made with actual Gregorian monks]

'[...] does not see it as consisting in some separated peak experiences being of taken out of oneself and momentarily lost in the Other. For Gregory, mystical union with Go*, instead of at best an infrequent repetition of ecstasies, which are identical in so far as they are unrelated to the usual state of consciousness, is a constantly growing experience. It is a steady possessing of Go* by being possessed, but this steadiness has nothing static or terminal about it. It has the permanence of life developing and intensifying. The Go* presenting him[hmm?]self in the mystical experience described by Gregory is the Inexhaustible, who really gives hmm-mmmself, as the forever overflowing Reality [Rrhea-litty?]. Consequently, for the human to possess this Abundance is a most lively state. Here satisfaction goes together with desire. One keeps longing for more, while being "filled to capacity." That is why Moses made such a paradoxical demand:

And although lifted up through such lofty experiences he is still unsatisfied in his desire for more. He still thirsts for that with which he constantly filled himself to capacity, and he asks to attain as if he had never partaken.

To help us clarify the role of the Humanity of Christ in mystical experience, this Gregorian yearning for more, while being one with Go*, will prove a valuable feature of the mystic's union with Go*. For in this case the overwhelming presence of the divine does obliterate the human, nor does it serve as a
sporadic escape from our normal state. While steadily one with Go*, the mystic, for Gregory, keeps feeling the difference, desiring more and more: in Go*, the person is never "achieved."'

https://books.google...hile%22&f=false

And:

'The priesthood of the Arval Brothers called on Mars to drive off "rust" (lues), with its double meaning of wheat fungus and the red oxides that affect metal, a threat to both iron farm implements and weaponry. In the surviving text of their hymn, the Arval Brothers invoked Mars as ferus, "savage" or "feral" like a wild animal.

Mars's potential for savagery is expressed in his obscure connections to the wild woodlands, and he may even have originated as a god of the wild, beyond the boundaries set by humans, and thus a force to be propitiated. [...] the leaping of his armed priests the Salii was meant to quicken the growth of crops.'

Mars (mythology) - Wikipedia

... mainly to morph with my own voice. Both have word builders, but they seem a bit limited (Cantus to syllables from Gregorian chants---sort of like chops---Mars to Latin or 'Slavonic' consonant+vowel combinations. Mars has the edge there.... but the mystical aspect of Cantus might give it the edge (for morphing...).

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 11 February 2022 - 05:29 PM

#11925 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 February 2022 - 05:17 PM

AI vocalist I'm considering:

Also considering:

For the second one I can import my own samples. Easy/lazy way to turn parts of vocals into a playable granular synth patch.

Having second thoughts about the monks---do I want to bother engaging with the potential Catholic or Orthodox baggage some audiences would bring to it? Pretty sure some believers would be prone to throw a fit if they thought it was sacrilegious. Not that I particularly care (especially since I wouldn't consider them oppressed in or by the US the way ethnic minorities often are (despite the Christian persecution complex)---whereas I'd be reluctant these days to morph my own voice with, say, monks of East Asian ethnicity without their express approval, even if they've consented to make a virtual instrument), but I'd rather not deal with it. Monks themselves, if they knew about it (very unlikely), might disapprove. Big deal was made (mostly on the internet) about some rap song that legally used a sample from a deceased Arab performer, song was lascivious, her lyrics were about chastity, fans were calling it terrible cultural appropriation. OTOH the monks probably still get a cut of sales, so progressives might complain about donating to the Catholic church or repressive institutions etc. Also wouldn't have a hard time explaining why I think the mystical aspect transcends reactionary concerns, but the Trumpist Catholics aren't going to bother with any of that 'intellectual' stuff. Then again, choirs based (largely) on Catholic tradition are so common in cinematic, and to a lesser extent in popular music (hearing it in a lot of the ready-made royalty-free 'rap beats' (for vocals to be added to) for sale), that I doubt they'd know without being told. But 'it's made from actual monks!' could make it seem more 'offensive' to them than sampling a standard choir (and hence, more to the point, more likely to throw a fuss... though perhaps that would be 'good' publicity by my reckoning? still not sure I'd want to spend any energy on it; probably wouldn't be an issue anyway).

#11926 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 February 2022 - 03:07 PM

On third thought, the Gregorian chant library was recorded dry, so I can add any reverb I want. If I don't use the church ambience and don't compose in an obvious religious style or with obvious religious words (chopping 'deus' into 'day' and 'oose'---to the latter I could add 'm', 'tr', 'd', 'n' (moose deuce noose truce etc., 'i-rae' chopped to 'ray' with playable legato melisma) it might not even be obvious that it's a Catholic choir---may just sound medieval. I don't think melisma is inherently or exclusively associated with religious choirs. I can also resell the monks easily, from glancing at the resale market. OTOH I can get it $25 cheaper on the holy-day of Black Friday. They'll still be waiting for me. I like the auditory image of Gregorian monks chanting, sound of water level rising increasing in the background, then adding in the sound of fire gradually growing to half-drown out the monks, then water drowning out them all (... then maybe boiling? some explosions?). But I could get a single royalty-free sample of Gregorian chanting for $15---but it's not clear if it's made from actual monks....

Two more virtual choirs I'm considering:

'[...] makes playing complex (or simple!) chords with realistic phrases exceptionally easy and fast[...] allow[s] you to blend chords together seamlessly over the syllable transitions (or even mid-syllable) [...] There's something about soft choirs that make even the most ugly and dissonant chords sound beautiful in a way'

Versus:

'They breathe together and they have similar feelings'---hmm. Yay Communist-Borg! The Church is baked-in though. Might not play nice with my other reverbs. OTOH it might be unfamiliar enough not to be immediately associated with Christianity by most audiences (... outside, of course, Estonia...).

'"Why are you writing German music? You should write Canadian-Chinese music." [...] pushed me to reflect on my musical identity in relationship to contemporary classical music and how one feels a sense of belonging (or not belonging) within an international community of diverse representations. Now a university professor, I'm confronted by these issues as a composition mentor. From students who want to add 'exotic' elements to their music with world instrument sample packs, to the curriculum design of a theory program addressing the Eurocentric paradigm prevalent in music schools [...] how do we navigate the use of culturally specific aspects of music with respect and recognition of the source communities?

[...] the Chinese opera gong projects a distinctive sound, representing a musical tradition within Chinese culture. Even though my knowledge of Chinese opera is very limited, I have strong cultural associations with this instrument. Should I abandon my own cultural baggage when listening to this instrument within contemporary music?'

https://icareifyouli...usical-objects/

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 14 February 2022 - 03:08 PM

#11927 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 February 2022 - 08:24 PM

Still have $50-60 more budgeted to spend on virtual choirs. Considering (using my points to bring down the price):

(Bulgarian choirs like that one have been popular in fantasy---going back at least to Xena, etc.---and anime (Ghost in the Shell, etc.) scores.)

Lack of true legato sampling might make it a little too unrealistic... IDK, might not be that noticeable in a track. In general the 'noisier' a vocal is relative to the fundamental pitch, the less obvious the lack of true legato. Nice for sustains though, and I like the ornaments.

Compare with Strezov's Rhodope 2 Bulgarian choir with true legato (300 euros):

Vocalisa has been around a while, and I think it's been used in a bunch of soundtracks. (Especially where they were too cheap or too lazy to arrange for an actual Bulgarian choir to sing the arrangement... of course it's also good for mock ups.)

So if I get that I could spend $10-$20 on a Gregorian chant or two, at least for the climate change... maybe also automating an 'aging / degradation' effect coming in and out (making it sound like a crackly degraded record or tape, then rapidly but continuous transitions into clear recording, and back---though for the distant future of digital recordings IDK if an age degradation effect would be appropriate, except maybe in the form of boiling explosions and crashing waves or chaotic gases and wild beasts (or robo-beasts)... maybe some bitcrush or 'trying to read from a broken computer' noises, hard drive malfunction, beeps or whatever arbitrary error signals).

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 16 February 2022 - 08:24 PM

#11928 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 17 February 2022 - 12:34 PM

New song and MV from Hitsujibungaku (Sheep Literature), called "Yunagi". There are English subtitles (if you enable them!). New album on April 20th, can't wait Posted Image

#11929 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 February 2022 - 09:28 PM

Another virtual choir on sale now that I'm considering:

Supposedly has the smoothest male monophonic legato (of any realistic playable virtual choir). Word-builder limited to pseudo-Norse though. Not sure if I can get many words that could pass for intelligible English.

#11930 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 February 2022 - 01:18 AM

Gosh darnit to heck. A video game has gone and done it again. It's rare air territory for sure (only other games to get to me with music are the RDR games and the Last of Us games). Don't look at me! I only got dust in my eyes, is all.

#11931 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 February 2022 - 05:37 PM

Another virtual choir I'm considering:

'authentic orthodox choir' so I'm slightly concerned it might be mistaken for proselytizing for the religion---or for Putin. But it just consists of playable 'ooh' and 'ah'---so I'm not sure many people would even recognize it as an orthodox choir. 'Tropar is a word that comes from the Greek "Troparion" and is a religious hymn in the Orthodox liturgy. We were hugely inspired by the typical orthodox liturgy sound. [...] recorded in an authentic orthodox church'.

https://www.strezov-...iew/Tropar.html

Old friend of mine, now a research scientist, flew to Ukraine after finishing his PhD in information science to convert to the Orthodox Church. Claimed it's not about the literal truth of the scripture (or of its supernatural claims) but about the value of the rituals themselves. Though looking back on what he wrote, he also specified it's about how the religious ritual reproduces social relations... which from a progressive perspective can be a major negative (or potentially a positive, if instead of repeating or reinforcing existing social relations it can produce new ones, or radically change preexisting ones).

Hmm: 'A schism between the Russian Orthodox Church and the [Orthodox] Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople began [in] 2018 when the former unilaterally severed full communion with the latter [...] in response to a decision of the [...] Patriarchate of Constantinople [...] confirming its intentions to grant autocephaly (independence) to the Eastern Orthodox church in Ukraine'.

2018 Moscow–Constantinople schism - Wikipedia

Guess Putin will probably try to undo that....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 21 February 2022 - 05:38 PM

#11932 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 February 2022 - 03:25 AM

Seem to be in a war theme for my tunes of late, not sure why. Posted Image

Probably should go in the Metal thread, but seemed like a neat idea to keep em together in the same post.

#11933 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 01 March 2022 - 10:56 AM

Close your eyes
Don't be afraid
I'm with you
This place is safe
We found a camp
We have supplies
They will let us stay the night

Close your eyes
I'll tuck you in
Mum will sing
To make you sleep
Don't mind the noise
They're just the bombs
A part of music for this song

When the night
Begins to fall
You and I
In a safety zone
The former world
Shall not return
But we'll survive intact
Again

#11934 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 March 2022 - 06:18 PM

'Starting now, all net income from our "Slavic Vocals" library (recorded in Ukraine) will be donated to organisations and/or local supporting channels here in Berlin. Our first priority is to support impacted children and families.'

'Russian TV channels were hacked to play Ukrainian music'

https://www.thedaily...russia?ref=home

10 bands in Ukraine you can support right now (synthpopfanatic.com)

#11935 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 March 2022 - 12:59 AM

'100% of income goes to Ukrainian Army', Kyiv-based company:

'In Tantric chöd practice, the practitioner, motivated by compassion, plays the kangling as a gesture of fearlessness, to summon hungry spirits and demons so that she or he may satisfy their hunger and thereby relieve their sufferings. It is also played as a way of "cutting off of the ego."'

Strix Instruments, LLC – Unique Kontakt Instruments

#11936 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 March 2022 - 09:42 PM

'DakhaBrakha is a Ukrainian folk quartet which combines the musical styles of several ethnic groups.

[...] The group's name derives from Ukrainian verbs Давати and Брати, meaning "give" and "take", respectively – while also playing on the Art Centre's name "Dakh" (literally "roof" in Ukrainian).'

DakhaBrakha - Wikipedia

[Lightly edited in an attempt to be slightly closer to the Ukrainian:]

'Monk was coming from campaign
Frost and bad weather
Almost froze to death
Did not know where to go
Came into pub to get warm,
Took off his uniform
Took off his uniform and glasses,
Broke cassocks to shreds
And he went to dance
After he danced enough and played enough
Said goodbye to goodwill,
[...]

Ocean's warm
Water's deep
We beg for storm
Wind is here

[... sung in heavily accented English:]

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.'

DakhaBrakha - Monakh lyrics + English translation (lyricstranslate.com)

Standing over Danube [river]
Brushing my braids
Throwing them
In quiet [peaceful] Danube throwing
O float you braids
Don't be touched [affected] by moisture

DakhaBrakha - Над Дунаем (Nad Dunayem) lyrics + English translation (lyricstranslate.com)

#11937 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 March 2022 - 06:05 PM

'Turkish-made aerial drones armed with laser-guided missiles have, in the past two weeks, helped Ukraine slow Russia's invasion. Known as Bayraktar TB2s, the drones are not just a piece of military equipment anymore. They are symbols of Ukrainian resistance—and the inspiration for a very catchy song.

A track titled "Bayraktar," of indeterminate origin, has been receiving hundreds of thousands of plays online, and is in rotation on Ukrainian radio. Over a simple beat, a gravelly voice insults Russian President Vladmir Putin's forces—their equipment, their mission, and the soup they consume in their possibly doomed tanks. Roughly translated into English, here is how one verse goes:

They wanted to invade us with force

And we took offense at these orcs

Russian bandits are made into ghosts by

Bayraktar!

"Ukrainians are very funny—there's this deep, dark humor," [...] "They're like, We'll be back to our regular programming as soon as we kill off our invaders."

[...] Last year, viewers around the world were mesmerized by the country's entry for the Eurovision Song Contest: an intense techno track about environmental catastrophe, featuring folk melodies from the Chernobyl region.'

The Dark Humor and Deep History Behind Ukraine's War Music - The Atlantic

#11938 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 March 2022 - 11:03 PM

Well, thanks to South Park this is now in my orbit of awareness. Ugh.

https://www.youtube....h?v=_eAH1CvwDIs

"I wonder if Russians get diarrhea from Erewhon too"

Say what you will about South Park, it's remarkable how they are able to keep pace with current events.

#11939 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 11 March 2022 - 10:20 AM

Punk is alive and well and living in Japan. These kids, Banshimoku, just graduated a couple of days ago and performed their first headline show, which was streamed live on YouTube (the archive is still available). Their debut album is available on Spotify.

This post has been edited by Serenity: 11 March 2022 - 10:24 AM

#11940 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 15 March 2022 - 05:11 PM

Got tickets to see TOOL Friday. Hells yeah.

On the downside, Rage Against the Machine for May got postponed till 2023. Bleh.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

Share this topic:

• 612 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users