• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Creation Vs Evolution

#41 User is offline   cauthon 

• Geek in progress
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:photography, fantasy

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:54 AM

And how does the big bang oppose creation, exactly? And where does it say that the earth is only 6000 years old? Everybody can see that it does not make sense to say this.

And as any mathemetician will tell you, no matter how much supportive 'evidence' you find to defend your theory, until it has been proven, it can still be brought down by the next experiment that is conducted. A small example is the last theorem of Fermat. Until Wiles proved it to be correct, no matter how many examples you took, or how long you had a computer calculate, it was not fact. Same with evolution. You say you have evidence that supports it. Well, true, you have some bones and some other stuff that may support it. But the evidence is by far inconclusive. I realise that most 'science' needs examples to be able to formulate a theory, but that does not make it fact. Evolutionary scientist have not shown how species can evolve, and showing a few bones does not cut it. If there were intermediate species, show us the evidence. But it has not been found. I may be found, true, but thus far it hasn't. Also, has any case of mutuation ever made a specimen change species? Bacteria remain bacteria, the same goes for virii. And for trees, fish, dogs, cats, whatever.

Anyway, you have your beliefs, I have mine. We can still be friends :-)

#42 Guest_potsherds_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:02 AM

The Rope said:

2) Evolution is NOT PROVEN science, and so should not be taught in schools as FACT.

There is no theory in science that is proven. You do not understand the definition of theory as it is used in science. In science, to call something a theory, is to make a very strong statement about the validity of the model. The theory of quantum mechanics, the theory of relativity, the theory of gravity. All of these are used as viable models, all of these are used to predict the outcomes of certain systems in nature. A theory is a model shown to be capable of predicting the end result of a series of circumstances.

The Rope said:

As to creationism being considered in a scientific manner... i have done this

No, no you haven't.

The Rope said:

Not all scientists are evolutionists, and those remaining do not necessarily prescribe to ID (as it ha been referred to here).

That's verifiably false. Nearly every scientists capable of being honest with himself accepts the validity of evolution based on its merits as pertaining to what I have said above.

The Rope said:

It was said that Evolution cannot be proved anymore than the existence of God short of manipulating time - and as of yet, time manipulation is not really a scientific possibility.

God cannot in any way be considered in a scientific manner, as that is antithetical to the concept of 'faith', and while belief in God pertains to faith, no where in science is the concept of faith allowed. Science does not attack anyone belief in a higher power, we are not militant as a group. We simply do no even consider the supernatural, as that is not a part of science: "the explanation of the natural world without the use of the supernatural".

The Rope said:

Geneticists support the common ancestors theory in Genesis (all mankind descend from single human couple Adam and Eve), physicists support intelligent design, Moses David and Job (who didnt actually write the book bearing his name) supported gravity, the shape of the earth, and the water cycle, geologists support noah's flood - with differing degrees...

Sure, floods happen all the time. Everything you said above is rubbish and I would like you to reference it.

The Rope said:

it seems to me tht the only scientists who actually fight cretionism and religion are biologists, paleontologists, and other such "scientists." Notice how they are called "scientists" not their specific science? When talking about physics, you quote a physicist - you don't say "scientist."

I resent the implication that as a physicist, I am not capable of accepting the rigours of the scientific method when applied to other areas of science. And yes, biology and paleontology are science.

The Rope said:

One of the biggest reasons (speaking as a lay man) why the general "uneducated" public does not trust scientists is that scientists who are generally in the forefront and media-ized (proving my "uneducation" with a new word...) are arrogant, pious a$$holes looking to glorify themselves...

Ahhh...so you are biased against us arrogant pissheads. Alright, I see your point of view now.

The Rope said:

Now as my title shows - i am a moron

Good to know you're honest with yourself on at least one point. If only I believed you meant it.

The Rope said:

but i do know the bible, and i have yet to see evidence that it conflicts with science. Sure, point out a contradiction or a flaw... i'll disprove it using the bible AND secular sources (including science).

That's not worth my time. Believe your book of myths as you want. Doesn’t bother me.

The Rope said:

Furthermore (ikno iknow, i'll end it soon) it is incredibly UNscientific to ignore anything simply because it cannot be proven UNLESS it can be DISproven... when you have two theories equally unprovable, it becomes just a matter of personal belief.

This entire paragraph really pisses me off. You seem to feel that you are capable of commenting on science and how science is structured, and yet its obvious that you have no understanding of science at all. The basis of science is the ability to disprove. That's why the scientific method is one of the cornerstones of science. It is not mathematically easy to prove a certainty, but only one case to the contrary, one test that disproves the hypothesis, is needed to debunk the idea. Science works on the basis of test and retest, and retest, and retest. The more tests you do in support of a hypothesis, the stronger the evidence become that its a viable idea.

ID/creationism and evolution are not equally unprovable. ID/creationism is not even science, so not in any way a scientific theory, and therefore not worth the consideration of anyone in the scientific community, in regards to their work.

#43 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:23 AM

I think you wasted your time there Potsherds, the Rope is clearly fixated on a strawman version of science that he can easily knock down.

You can't have an argument about evolution with someone who asserts that the Bible is correct in all matters of science. Just think, if the Rope is correct then we need to dethrone Newton, since he clearly plagiarised his theories of gravity from the Bible.

His post is crammed with blatant distortions and untruths, and you challenged most of them well, but I just wanted to return to two parts.

The Rope;125204 said:

One of the biggest reasons (speaking as a lay man) why the general "uneducated" public does not trust scientists is that scientists who are generally in the forefront and media-ized (proving my "uneducation" with a new word...) are arrogant, pious a$$holes looking to glorify themselves... though i would say the same for creationists in the same position.

No, it's because the "uneducated" public is uneducated. You (I address the Rope here) have clearly not received a scientific education despite your claims to the contrary. The personality of scientists has no relevance at all, the only example that supports your contention is Richard Dawkins (who is admittedly an aggresive man, and so offends people and causes resentment). But the fact that you consider that a justification for dismissing his arguments speaks strongly to how little you understand scientific debate.

Furthermore (ikno iknow, i'll end it soon) it is incredibly UNscientific to ignore anything simply because it cannot be proven UNLESS it can be DISproven... when you have two theories equally unprovable, it becomes just a matter of personal belief.

"Equally unprovable." This is the sort of outright lie that creationist thinkers have to put out there just to keep afloat. Creationism and Evolution are not equally unprovable (unless you are making a philosophical point about how nothing is truly capable of proof, which I would concede on the grounds that philosophy arguments are a waste of time...though you would in turn have to concede that your Bible and everything it says is "unprovable" too). Evolution is a scientific theory with lots of supporting evidence. Creationism is a fairy tale wholly based on a religious text. Anyone who considers them to be equally supported by facts is not credible.

People like The Rope make me sad.

Oh, and someone asked above for examples of intermediate species. What about fossils of dinosaurs, which are basically reptiles, with light-bone structures and feathers? There's a transition from reptiles to birds.

That's just one example - "but there's no evidence of intermediate species!" is just another spurious creationist argument. Sadly the people who make such statements are those least receptive to counterevidence.

#44 User is offline   Tes'thesula 

• High House My House

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:26 AM

cauthon said:

and showing a few bones does not cut it

There's a lot more to evolutionary evidence than fossils. Even if fossils did not exist, there would be plenty of evidence for the theory. It's a common misconception, though.

#45 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:32 PM

cauthon;125233 said:

And how does the big bang oppose creation, exactly? And where does it say that the earth is only 6000 years old? Everybody can see that it does not make sense to say this.

Well if you accept the big bang and the world is older than 6000 years and still believe in god thats great. But alas alot of people do say that and as much as you point out it obviusly does not make sense they believe it with evry fibre of their being. Science does not disporve god any more than god will destroy science. If you watched the video you will not that the creationist does say excactly this. The universe was created in 6 days, evolution is a lie, the big ban is ridiculous.

cauthon;125233 said:

And as any mathemetician will tell you, no matter how much supportive 'evidence' you find to defend your theory, until it has been proven, it can still be brought down by the next experiment that is conducted. A small example is the last theorem of Fermat. Until Wiles proved it to be correct, no matter how many examples you took, or how long you had a computer calculate, it was not fact. Same with evolution. You say you have evidence that supports it. Well, true, you have some bones and some other stuff that may support it. But the evidence is by far inconclusive. I realise that most 'science' needs examples to be able to formulate a theory, but that does not make it fact. Evolutionary scientist have not shown how species can evolve, and showing a few bones does not cut it. If there were intermediate species, show us the evidence. But it has not been found. I may be found, true, but thus far it hasn't. Also, has any case of mutuation ever made a specimen change species? Bacteria remain bacteria, the same goes for virii. And for trees, fish, dogs, cats, whatever.

Anyway, you have your beliefs, I have mine. We can still be friends :-)

You are absolutly correct no matter how much evidence is found science is never satisfied that is has proved somethig correct. Any moment a new piece of evidence may contradict previus held beliefs and a new theory will be created to explain it. But when last did you question the theory of gravity. Its never been disporve, Probally never will. After all when last did you see two bodies not attract each other? yet its not proven. It cant be. Science can never know every possible condition or test them even if it did. So it remains a theory. But a theory is not what many believe it to be. Many people confuse a hypothesis (a guess that needs to be tested with a theory) a theory is rather the best explanation for all the experimental evidance found.

The rest of what you say is Im afraid rubbish. Inconclusive evidane. Far from it. Hopefull the others will come in and add what I leave out but we have

Fossil record-Why is it not good enough by the way?
Vestigial organs-Animals that live in caves, have eyes. why?
comparitive anatomy-Whales flippers and human hands. The bone structures possess similiar anatomies
The conservation of nucleic acid sequences throughout the biological kingdoms
Immunology- Evry time your body fights off a pathogen your immune system evolves (micro evolution) to fight it off
Viruses, and bacteria-They probally micro evolve as an example better than anything else

Also what speciation do you want. A bird can evolve into a diffrent species of bird. They cant reproduce with each other. Admitaly they are both still birds. But that just describes it has feathers, wings, a beak, its pulmonary system. But a new species it is.

Look at sickle cell haemoglobin for a good example of evolutionary adaption.

#46 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:27 PM

cauthon;125233 said:

Evolutionary scientist have not shown how species can evolve, and showing a few bones does not cut it. If there were intermediate species, show us the evidence. But it has not been found. I may be found, true, but thus far it hasn't. Also, has any case of mutuation ever made a specimen change species? Bacteria remain bacteria, the same goes for virii. And for trees, fish, dogs, cats, whatever.

I thought the entire point of austrolepithecine, homo erectus, and the various other example of hominid style ape-like creatures' fossils/bones found showed a gradual progression towards homo sapiens from apes? Unless the vast majority of things I've heard or read on the subject are wrong, those are intermediate species.

The fact whole skeletons have not been discovered does not mean they didn't exist, the likelihood of whole skeletons being preserved is infintesimally small- if bury a dog and leave it 200 years, the bones may well have rotted away, it doesn't mean the dog never existed. Even if whole fossils exist, the odds of us discovering them anytime soon across the whole planet are slim because of the sheer size of the search area.

Also, mutation has actually caused evolution in viruses and bacteria, even in lab rats. New strains of diseases are direct evolutions, they find new ways to function and attack you, often with different symptoms- if you say that's not evolution, then consider a rabbit being born with wings to evade its hunters and then all its offspring keeping the same feature- surely you'd say that was evolution, yet it's just the mammalian equivalent.

#47 User is offline   cauthon 

• Geek in progress

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:40 PM

Yes, I agree, I did say they might still be found. Them bones, that is. As for the bacteria, it's not evolution as people see it, i.e. progression into a new species. If the rabbit would develop wings, I'd agree that it would be a new species of some kind. But it doesn't happen, does it?

#48 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:48 PM

I'd argue that at a bacterial level (where evolutin occurs many hundreds of thousands of time faster so is observable) it does occur.

The ability to evade t-cells and trick b-cells into not recognising them is evolution, in the same way as if a rabbit learnt to evade predators by flying, just on a smaller scale. The evolution of avian flu is a good example, a disease which affected only animals mutated and changed in order to infect humans and become more successful- the 1918 swine flu epidemic is a similar, great example.

Evolution can be seen as mutating into something new that is more successful and can better survive to reproduce, and these viruses did it in these cases- I'd argue this is clear evolutonary proof, but that is my opinion on the matter.

#49 User is offline   cauthon 

• Geek in progress

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:55 PM

I still agree, but I don;t see it happening on a macro scale, where multi-cellular specimens suddenly change into something different.

#50 Guest_potsherds_*

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:07 PM

cauthon said:

I still agree, but I don;t see it happening on a macro scale, where multi-cellular specimens suddenly change into something different.

That's because it doesn't happen? Mutations like that are what result in miscarraige. The body says 'oops, that's not s'posed to happen'. The massive amount of genetic alternations that would be required to put a bird's wing on a mammal makes the idea absurd.

#51 User is offline   Demon X 

• High Fist

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:18 PM

People with beliefs’ like The Rope scare me. They assume that they are right because they have faith in the fact that God created all, therefore there is nothing to prove in the way of theory because to them, it’s fact! Yet the insist on debunking scientific theory by lumping it into the same category as their belief saying “Scientists believe this or scientists believe that” not understanding that scientists believe this and that because there is hundreds of years of facts, evidence, formulae, maths, experiments and results to back it up, not just words on a 2000year old book of which we still don’t know who the author was!

#52 User is offline   Demon X 

• High Fist

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:23 PM

Thelomen Toblerone;125260 said:

I thought the entire point of austrolepithecine, homo erectus, and the various other example of hominid style ape-like creatures' fossils/bones found showed a gradual progression towards homo sapiens from apes? Unless the vast majority of things I've heard or read on the subject are wrong, those are intermediate species.

Homosaipien and Ape have a common ancestor. Human's didnt actually come from apes, but apes and humans came from the same thing. So the next time an ID freak comes up with "If humans came from apes how come they dont talk?" hit him/her with that! Or else with your fist!!!

#53 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:32 PM

Interesting side-note as to the speech ability of humans;

at some point during homo sapiens' evolution, the larynx began to move down the throat to allow a wider range of sounds to be created, however, this movement meant that food has to pass over the trachea to pass down the oesophagus, which makes humans the only animal able to choke on food, as we risk breathing in our food- other animals can breathe and swallow simultaenously, we cannot.

Babies' voiceboxes do not move until a few months old, and so newborn infants and animals will never be able to speak like adult humans.

#54 User is offline   cauthon 

• Geek in progress

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:37 PM

Hey, that's cool. I did not know that. I thought we all could choke on food.

#55 User is offline   Demon X 

• High Fist

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:43 PM

cauthon;125269 said:

Have you ever heard of Oliver the Human Chimp? They found him in Congo in the early 20th century. He was rejected from his pack because he didn’t smell like a chimp and he was almost hairless. He walked on two legs and he even smoked cigars and watched TV. They thought he was a Human/Chimpanzee hybrid until genetic tests showed that he was 100% chimp DNA. Since then more and more of them have been found roaming in small groups throughout the jungles of Africa. Some scientists believe we are witnessing the birth of a new species!

http://en.wikipedia....liver_the_chimp

#56 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:37 PM

Cauthon is arguing from ignorance - "I don't see how it can happen, so it didn't".

This is not a logical argument, or a convincing one.

#57 Guest_Niko III_*

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:26 PM

First off, I agree that "scientists" don't know everything. They admit that themselves, which is the difference between them (in general) and Bible Scholars making statements on science.
But the scientific way is to use newfound knowledge to improve your theories/hypothesis. Not like they did in the old days when they first checked what Holy Mother Church, the Bible and Aristoteles had to say on the subject.

#58 User is offline   cauthon 

• Geek in progress

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:53 AM

I agree with the scientific approach, but I really do not agree with selling evolution as FACT. It is a theory, nothing more, nothing less. My teacher in biology taught it that way, and I think that is the correct approach. But is is not a fact. But it makes for an interesting discussion nonetheless.

#59 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:41 AM

It is as much fact as the theories of
gravity
relativity
newtonian physics
Whats the problem than. None of these are proven. But they are taught as fact. Why. cause if you take out your calculator do a vector plot and aplly newtonian physics youll get the right answer. It works. So does evolution. Vaccines etc

#60 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:27 AM

If you do insist on visual proof for evolution on a macro scale, you'll be waiting around for a very long time Cauthon. The body cannot react positively to large-scale mutations at one time, it would require slight change over many many generations to observe a lasting impact, and to be quite frank nobody in 500 000 years is going to remember if people back in our time had appendixes (for example) or not, so even then guaging the scale would be all but impossible.

It's similar in a way to believing in God- it's based on faith, you just have to believe in the theory, only in this case, there is at least a reasonable measure of solid evidence and logical theory behind it, whereas the existence of an omnipotent being is a leap of faith with very little (if any) actual supporting evidence.

Share this topic:

• 69 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users