• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reaper's Gale Prologue

#21 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:36 PM

Ok then, I just thought Bauchelain and Korbal Broach were a good fit to the two dread companions.

Coldnight;109064 said:

"Purake" means something in draconean.

"Eleint Tiam purake setoram n?brael buras?" translates (according to Udinaas) ?Children of the Mother Tiam lost in all that they surrendered? .

So "purake" might be "lost"... or not. Any draconean language experts among us?

:)

Or from a different part of your quoted section, perhaps "purake" is children rather than lost, and so the surnames "purake", "irake" and "rake" are all derivative of Anomander's self-proclaimed status as first child of Mother Dark.

Blind;109057 said:

It seems likely that the FA are her children mentioned here. But what does it mean that they had "lost their way" in this realm?

Reese was from Moll (is it in Korelri?), don't think it's him here

I don't know where Moll is, which is why I didn't rule him out, but it seems unlikely given what others have said. The FA had already fallen foul of Silchas Ruin by the time of the "lost their way" comment here, and perhaps were already well into their fading away, long completed by the time of the main series.

#22 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:52 PM

I thought Eleint was children...that is why the Dragons are called Eleint, as they are the Children of Tiam...

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#23 User is offline   philospher77 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:00 PM

All right, time for more discussion. The "two companions" mentioned... it appears that they are returning "with the sound of drumbeats" and "the raking of claws through grass". Which sounds a lot like KCCM, to me. Assuming that they aren't bringing an army with them, and the drumbeats are the sound of their footsteps. With clawed feet. But, given the mask... could this be the missing Red Moranth?

#24 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:14 PM

I really really don't think KCCM are walking about Lether with a human companion. I just don't buy it at all.

It's a nice "out there" idea though.

edit:

Sir Thursday;109083 said:

I thought Eleint was children...that is why the Dragons are called Eleint, as they are the Children of Tiam...

Sir Thursday

I think Eleint means Dragon. "Soletaken Eleint" means "Soletaken Dragon", just as others are referred to as Soletaken Bear or D'ivers Rats. Note that not all Eleint are children of Tiam.

#25 User is offline   werewolfv2 

• OurWild.World
  • Interests:Books and photography

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:15 PM

Kallor!! Kaaalllllllooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#26 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:05 PM

Blind;109057 said:

It seems likely that the FA are her children mentioned here. But what does it mean that they had "lost their way" in this realm?

Reese was from Moll (is it in Korelri?), don't think it's him here

I think maybe theyve lost sight of their goal as adjudicators and have decided to bring peace. I actually thought they might be TT. Only because of her bulk and the description of being as wide a a Tartheno is tall. She would make a good goddess of the TT i agree with Dol Menhir tho. I twas confusing. Is that Kilamandaros or the child. Confusing.

#27 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:27 PM

Posted Image

a change of colours, add some boobz, and it's Kilmandros... or not?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#28 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:11 PM

1) ok, so Kila is a god, as shown when Gothos was following '2 gods and a soletaken'... but then when It and Rake walk through the rent, it says 'the two ascendents entered the realm, and blah blah killed everyone blah blah'.
How does that work?

2) I thought Kila's children were KCCM. The extra-long arms, and scaly skin, and whatnot. Although I can see where the Assail come from, with the extra joints.

3) I lost some funny posts in the deletion. I am not happy! :)
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#29 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:16 PM

Okay ...I'll explain this ONCE more

Every GOD is an ascendant
Every ASCENDANT is NOT a God

A GOD is an ascendant with WORSHIPERS

God - Hood, Shadowthrone

Ascendant - Caladan Brood, Ganoes Paran

If Paran were to have worshipers, he would become a god.
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:17 PM

they are still both ascendants... she just happens to be a goddess as well.

There's no scaly skin on Kilmandaros..
She's a goddess, why does everyone expect her to look like a normal FA?
After all Mael doesn't look all that human in his god aspect.

As for the post deletion.... you'll get over it... and you have the added fun of being able to post all over again :)

#31 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:24 PM

ok, rul, relax, I was under the impression that once someone achieved godhood, they no longer would be called ascendant, as it was not a measure of their skill.

For instance, If you become a master at scrivening, can you be called an apprentace because that is a step on the road to becoming a master?
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#32 User is offline   Folken 

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:30 PM

Ascendancy is not the step to Godhood, well atleast not true godhood. True god hood is in the sense you gain power via your worshipers. Trake, was not an ascendant, but still worshiped as a God and didn't become a true God until he took Fener's place.

Ascendant is just a common name, to say they are immortal.

...I could be wrong in this post im not thinking straight. At work atm...
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:34 PM

well that is not strictly true Jen...

Treach was a First Hero, an old name for an ascendant, and thats all he was - from BH.
Steven Erikson: are all gods ascendants? If you mean ascendant in the general sense of being very powerful, then yes. If you mean ascendant in terms of progression, then there are exceptions. Most of the animistic ones, for example (the totemic, tribal ones) derived from the act of worship, or the attribution of significance to a particular place.(Q and A with malazanempire No 2 (2003))

#34 Guest_potsherds_*

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:36 PM

Obdigore said:

For instance, If you become a master at scrivening, can you be called an apprentace because that is a step on the road to becoming a master?

^ Not a good comparision for ascendacny and godhood.
Rul is making an arguement in logic:

Gods => Ascendants
Ascendants !=> Gods
The above are not equal statements. There is a causal relationship, so to speak. I like what someone else said: SE used the least common denominator in that sentence.

('Sherds loves her math, yes she does. :) )

Also, Hetan, you make a good point, why does Kilmandaros have to look exactly like her children. Convinces me even more that she's their goddess.

Good question about what exactly is mean by her children falling astray... I like the idea that its their decision to no longer be arbiters, but to enforce the peace.

#35 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:38 PM

Quite enjoyed the prologue. Kilmandaros rocks! Now if Kallor could actually deliver the first episode of The Dark...
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#36 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:45 PM

Hmm... *ponders*
Kilimandaros is cool. I want to know more. I too thought FA.
The half-million army seems Barghast to me, especially since, iirc, MoI mentions other clans, and not all of them necessarily forgot their origins...

Some odds end ends of thought:
The finnest - interesting. As mentioned by someone, perhaps something Icarium carries - his sword, maybe? Though that would make hiding it from their sight hard, it's not an impossibility.
Kilimandaros having a pact with Rake over keeping the Throne unoccupied - cool. Maybe she'll come back and get battering some interfering Edur.
The soldiers with the missing hearts - reminds me of Toggs escape from the cage that was Toc. Odd.
Also, a note on that whole scene - where would it fit in comparison to the events of MoI? I'm thinking maybe it happens at the time of their re-emergence, though I have no idea why or how this would fit. Though being after could explain why they had no hearts - Togg and Farenday needed or wanted them, for whatever reason. And also explain the wolves that led RedMask to the place, without being seen.
The red mask - if he's from near Lether (do we know where abouts this Aw'ldan is? I think it likely south of Lether because I don't think the Letherii could travel three weeks north of their borders, on account of the Edur and the ice) then I doubt he's a Moranth. I think he's new, personally. A warlike past is mentioned, and I anticipate more from him.

Nifty prologue, all in all, plenty to think about and whet the appetite.

*Ponders more*
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#37 User is offline   Lorn 

• Captain

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:59 PM

Really nice! but his makes the wait even harder, not easier.

Interesting thought aboout the finnest. Icarium maybe carrying it around and he is on his way to Lether and all the Tiste Edur... The prologue makes me think we can expect to see Scabandari freed in Reapers Gale. I hope he'll be the one to finish off Rhulad!

#38 Guest_Lord Running Clam_*

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:07 PM

First Post. Might as well be a crazy theory.

The finnest is...*drumroll please!* Icarium.

I don't know, but it sort of explains his badassness. (is that a word?:confused: )

#39 User is offline   Folken 

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:20 PM

His "badassness" is already explained. His mind was broken when he tried to free Gothos from the Azath.

@hetan - yup thanks for that:) After I posted something came to me and left me that instant:p I wasn't sure about the post anymore:p

#40 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:21 PM

That depends on whether you believe Icarium was hidden under Gothos' shirt during that conversation.

I have to admit, I'm skeptical.

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users