• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"The Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch

#41 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:02 PM

Great book. Totally enjoyed it. Very different feel from 'typical' epic fantasy with a cast of thousands and multiple viewpoints.

Favourite moment...
Spoiler

It was interesting how the young Locke moments at times read like a Harry Potter-esque type story for young readers, then showed a 'real' darker side every so often.

Certainly no fear of treating his characters viciously. Camorr is an interesting setting with some novel twists and turns.

Finally, HUGE points for making the story self-contained. No cliffhangers, perfect closure, but ample room for future stories.

Truly enjoyable. Not sure i would pay full hardcover price for future books, but big softcover rather than wait for mmpb, definitely.

- Abyss, wants his own Wicked Sisters. Take that as you will. :)
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#42 User is offline   jscottnelson 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:53 PM

This may be a dumb question -- but what exactly is the definition of the "caper" novel? I'm about 80 pages in -- is it because the story is about the one big "deal" that is happening?

I've loved the first chapters with the young Locke -- seeing his beginnings -- but I don't have the same wonderful sense of his personality in the chapters where he is older. I don't know if it is a conscious plan by the author to show less of his thinking (since presumably he has learned to hide so much as he has grown), or if it just isn't coming across to me. But I find I like the younger chapters "better".

#43 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:00 PM

I think that's deliberate. Someone on another board said that the young chapters are almost Harry Potter-esque, and contrast with the darker feel of the adult chapters. There are two great pay-offs later in the book which trade on the differences between the young and adult Locke POVS (Abyss mentions one above).
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#44 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:35 PM

Actually, i though it was interesting that the 'young Locke' parts showed the darker side every so often. The reader could get a bit caught up in the 'childhood fantasy' elements of it, the merry band of brothers bits, where and how they live, gleefully stealing from the rich etc, and then something jarringly violent happens that reminds you it is not all games and giggles.

- Abyss, all about the giggles.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#45 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:52 PM

I loved that about the flashback chapters. Nostalgia, tinged with 'until... Jean... gets... back!' And that particular passage took Locke from really cool to utterly awesome.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#46 Guest_Saint Chains_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:14 AM

Trouble;109016 said:

I got it!! I GOTS IT!

The lady from the store rang me up 10 minutes ago, it took me two minutes to get there and 2 minutes to get home again. since then its been all Lynch.

(Yes I did do speeds up to 120km/h)

Where did you get your copy from? I too am keen to read this.

#47 User is offline   Hume 

• Banned Like a Mushroom
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:17 AM

@ Saint Chains

I noticed in the City two days ago i think or yesterday not sure..
They had Lies of Lick Lamora in Borders for about $32

I was kinda tempted to get it..
But realised I have enough unread books on my shelf as it is..

#48 Guest_Saint Chains_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:48 AM

@ HUME - yeah, I thought of Borders shortly after I posted...

Not sure if I'm willing to spend that much money on it, as I'm unsure what it'll be like and yeah, I too have many unread books on my shelf.

#49 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:26 PM

For anyone who's interested, there are excerpts from the next book in the sequence, Red Suns Under Red Skies, at the following locations:

http://scott-lynch.l...com/143537.html

http://scott-lynch.l...com/153970.html

http://scott-lynch.l...com/177052.html

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#50 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:00 AM

You guys could go for the trade paperback. It would be cheaper that way. . .

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#51 User is offline   Dagger 

• Interloper

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:27 PM

I like this Zamira. That probably means that Scott will kill her.
"I can see my days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle." - Mal Reynolds

#52 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:36 PM

The trade paperback isn't all that great in terms of quality. The spine is to bloody stiff you can't read it without cracking it:( But Trade was the only option avaliable to me...
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#53 User is offline   jscottnelson 

• Sergeant

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:03 PM

I'm about 75% of the way through.

This is really one of the most original books I've read in quite awhile. I'd dying to hear more about the origins of the ancient people who came before. The elderglass is cool.

#54 User is offline   Amras 

• Recruit

Posted 07 October 2006 - 03:44 PM

I've read about three chapters of this fantastic book, The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch, and I must say that i'm absolutley loving it to pieces (that would be some kind of blasphemi, but you get my point :p )

I'd almost rate it as high as Erikson (although admitting that factis also blasphemi...)

#55 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:59 PM

Jen said:

The trade paperback isn't all that great in terms of quality. The spine is to bloody stiff you can't read it without cracking it:( But Trade was the only option avaliable to me...

Really? I got the same one as you likely and I didn't crack the spine.

:p
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#56 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:38 PM

I deliberately try to crack the spines of must paperbacks I read (had an interesting conversation with Bakker about that - I rock at namedropping!).
Just like to make them feel read. That said, I thought "The Lies" was of decent quality, spine-wise. Maybe you got a crappy copy...
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#57 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:39 PM

Okay, I so VERY much need something similar to TLOLL to read now, whilst waiting the agonizing months for "Red Seas Under Red Skies" to come out.....anyone got any suggestions?

Should I stick to Gollancz and maybe pick up "The Blade Itself" or not?!

Need help.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#58 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:16 AM

OK, OK. Geez. I give up.

I'll pick up a copy next time I'm in Borders. HAPPY NOW? :p

Cheers,

La Sombra, manly enough to admit defeat. And curiosity.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#59 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:20 AM

caladanbrood;122837 said:

I deliberately try to crack the spines of must paperbacks I read (had an interesting conversation with Bakker about that - I rock at namedropping!).

Yeah, I liked what he said about that. That said, I try to preserve my spines for the simple reason that when you crack the spine, the pages tend to fall out quicker, as my copies of A Game of Thrones, A Storm of Swords, The Reality Dysfunction and The Eye of the World can attest.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#60 User is offline   Wry 

• High Fist
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:59 AM

Just finished it, Enjoyed it alot.

IT was engaging and fun with some good likeable characters, however i don't think Lynch does "Dark" very well and this takes away from the dramatic effect of the novel. Still, nicely constructed showing alot of promise.

I suspect Lynch will be a master of the genre in the future if he keeps pushing himself.
“Arm yourself, Watson, there is an evil hand afoot ahead"

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users