• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"The Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch

#21 Guest_Saint Chains_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 03 August 2006 - 02:49 AM

Trouble said:

I had a dream last night, dead serious, that htis was the best book I ever read.

I have the strangest dreams.

Dude, that's not weird. For the last week, I've had a dream every night, some nights more than one.

In one of them, I worked at a tiny wine cellar, where poeple could sit down and drink a bottle of wine of their choice. But, we served our wine with feathers in the bottles. Chicken, peacock, emu, eagle, dove, pigeon, duck etc. they were all there. So upon choosing the wine, the customer also selected a feather to enjoy with it (with suggestions from the "featherwine" connoisseurs present of course).

Now, here comes the weird part: the feathers, for some reason, were too dangerous to handle, so we had to spit them into the wine. Yes, that's right, spit them. Upon selecting both their wine and feather, one of the staff would open the wine and spit the feathers into the bottle. Then, with all the practised stoicism of a posh waiter, glasses were poured and bibulous festivities commenced.

I rarely used to dream. I can't think of anything that I've changed except I now eat a lot more fish and drink a lot more beer.

I won't even mention my other dreams, 'cause I think this is kind of bordering on spam...:)

Oh, woo, go Scott Lynch, can't wait to read your Lies :)

#22 Guest_Jay Tomio_*

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:38 AM

I read this a year ago and was just completely blown away and excited because of such fresh voice was working with some familair genre tropes and actually making the story not only worth reading, but what I think is the best debut of 2006 thus far.

I interviewed Lynch some months ago here, and reviewed the book as well.

I read several books that I enjoy durign a coure of a year, but this was one of those books taht I really couldn't wait to be released to see what I thought woudl be rather universal (and more importantly IMHO warranted) acclaim.

Great book, looking forward to the rest of the series with the same enthusiasm I await books by my other favorites like Mieville, VanderMeer, Harrison, Ford, Link and Martin's A Dance with Dragons.

It's a book I find impossible not to be charmed by.

#23 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:19 PM

Also worth pointing out that Scott Lynch is continuing to contribute to a discussion on the book on westeros.org. He recently pointed out his desire for a RAFO-style shortcut to dodge spoiler questions, but refused to use that as it would "Make him feel like a dick." :)
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#24 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:22 PM

I read this today, it was really really enjoyable. Aces.

Has anyone read the blurb for the second one on Amazon (don't if you've not read the first, spoilers abound) - it's so Oceans Eleven. Not that that's a bad thing... Can't wait.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:34 PM

Read it on me hols... enjoyable read... liked the style....looking forward to the next one

#26 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:14 PM

It's a kick-ass, fast paced, fun caper! And as such, TLOLL is a breath of fresh air in the fantasy genre.

Really looking forward to the sequels!:)

Rodeo, you forgot about the contest!?! And I go through all this trouble to get you a prize!:) Enjoy it!

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#27 User is offline   Dagger 

• Interloper

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:23 PM

It is indeed a breath of fresh air. There are a half dozen ideas in this book I wish I had come up with.
"I can see my days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle." - Mal Reynolds

#28 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:31 AM

pat5150 said:

Rodeo, you forgot about the contest!?! And I go through all this trouble to get you a prize!:) Enjoy it!

Patrick

I have the memory skills of a vaguely retarded lemur. Which is funny considering I'm working on a degree in History.

But thanks for the book!:D

#29 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:32 PM

Hi there!

I acted as a go-between so that the good folks at elbakin.net could get an interview with Scott. This website is probably the biggest French fantasy website around. The Q&A has gone live this morning, both in French and English. I've put a link to it on the blog.

Enjoy!

Patrick

#30 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:18 PM

There is a now a Scott Lynch forum for people to discuss the books. A lot of people over there from Westeros at the moment (hence the heavily ironic GRRM thread), but some good discussion of the book is getting underway.

In related news, Subterranean Press is publishing three novellas by Lynch set in the same world. Apprently they hope to publish them quite soon.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#31 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:58 PM

Finally read it.

Loved it.

:)

#32 User is offline   Dagger 

• Interloper

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:16 AM

[QUOTE=Werthead;106337]There is a now a Scott Lynch forum for people to discuss the books. A lot of people over there from Westeros at the moment (hence the heavily ironic GRRM thread), but some good discussion of the book is getting underway.
[QUOTE]

I'm in. See y'all there.
"I can see my days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle." - Mal Reynolds

#33 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:21 AM

I've pimped it on my blog, so perhaps more people from different boards will start to show up!

Rodeo, I'm glad you enjoyed the novel!:)

Patrick

#34 User is offline   Arkmam 

• Titanium Nipple
  • Interests:Reading, playing board games, taking walks

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:20 PM

I've come about half way, very, very nice :)
"If you got dragnipur'd, chaos would move closer."
- Ancient Malazan insult

#35 User is offline   Dr Trouble 

• Pug Life

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:29 PM

I still havn't got a copy! I am going crazy with anticipation.

Australia stinks, why cannot they release books on time. July 29 was the date I was given, it is now august 18. Shame.

#36 User is offline   jscottnelson 

• Sergeant

Posted 23 August 2006 - 12:48 PM

Bought it today. Can't want to start reading.

#37 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 August 2006 - 02:35 PM

I really enjoyed this...I sped through it in a day (which is unusual at the moment as I don't have much time to read) and I'm really looking forward to the next volume. I thought I caught one plothole, but I guess that it fuel for this new Scott Lynch forum. I'm sure George R.R. Martin fans will love the fact that
Spoiler
and some of the plot twists were very inventive.

Give me more!

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#38 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:11 PM

Reading this now. Enjoying muchly.
That's three authors now the forum has successfully directed me to, the other two thus far being Bakker and Kay.

- Abyss, wants a pet wolf shark.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#39 User is offline   Dr Trouble 

• Pug Life

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:30 AM

I got it!! I GOTS IT!

The lady from the store rang me up 10 minutes ago, it took me two minutes to get there and 2 minutes to get home again. since then its been all Lynch.

(Yes I did do speeds up to 120km/h)

#40 User is offline   Dagger 

• Interloper

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:51 PM

I am really interested in finding out who built and worked with the elderglass. It almost feels like something SE would do if he wrote a caper novel.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users