• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how tall are thelomen toblakai Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:50 AM

Sorry if this seems a stupid question, or it has already been answered elsewhere, but just how tall are the teblor/thelomen toblakai? I've gotten different impressions, ranging from a couple of feet taller than a human to three times the height of a human. Thanks.

#2 User is offline   Valgard 

• Bored Microbiologist (not a good combination)
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:03 PM

I think it depends on the type the teblor are much small than the normal Thelomen toblakai as they are described as 8-9 feet tall. The Fenn I think are about 12" or so and the true Thelomen Toblakai are maybe 18" but I can't be sure on that one , but I think this is the size of the monster in well that Kalam finds. The teblor like tribe in midnigth tides (the name escapes me now the one that ubala was from) they are the same size as the teblor.

#3 Guest_Maknavox_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:45 PM

Nope the tarthenal where bigger. They were more pure then the teblor.
Its explained in MT that the tarthenal dont mix that well with humans, while the teblor do not have that problem that much. So i think that the tarthenal (before the assimilation) were more pure then the teblor :D

#4 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:49 PM

Just so you know, the full name is Thelomen Tarthenal Toblakai. Besides, we haven't seen any human/Teblor hybrids yet, so we can't say.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#5 User is offline   MecnunK 

• 5324th Seguleh and climbing

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:43 PM

Teblor are half again taller than a normal human man if Karsa is used as an example.

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:11 AM

Does any one else have problems with Karsa's size? besides the fact that the Teblor call humans children it's hard to determin Karsas height, but if he isn't at least 12 feet tall, the things he does would seem very exaggerated.

How is he able to quite litterally carve paths through humans and edur through sheer strength if he isn't a lot larger than them? If he's just 8 or 9 feet tall, it just seems impossibel, no matter how sharp and big his sword is.

#7 User is offline   Valgard 

• Bored Microbiologist (not a good combination)

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:02 PM

No I think that he is 8-9ft tall and he carves the path through them because of his unwillingness to surrender or let anything get in the way. It is his will that allows him to keep going like this to defeat all in his path plus he has ascended.

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 04 August 2006 - 05:48 PM

Tell me where it says he's ascended? He holds a place in the House of Chains but I don't remember any references to him having ascended.

#9 Guest_Corporal List_*

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:16 PM

if karsa is 9 feet tall and humans are around 6 then think about that for a second, if you are a soldier and something 3 feet taller than you using a sword thats half again as long as yours or maybe even longer comes after you, it doesnt really matter how many of you there are juding by how much reach it would have you wouldnt stand a chance, karsa being 9 feet tal makes perfect sense i dont think you realize just how tall that is apt

#10 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:28 PM

With a sword almost as long as a lance to boot.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#11 Guest_Maknavox_*

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:26 PM

Its not unrealistic. Karsa is one of the best warriors among his tribe. Plus beeing a TTT has benifits; 4 lungs and a different bonestructure that makes him swift as a human. (as rallick nom noted) All that kinda gives him a unfair advantage against the normal human.

#12 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:20 PM

Illuyankas;98150 said:

Just so you know, the full name is Thelomen Tarthenal Toblakai. Besides, we haven't seen any human/Teblor hybrids yet, so we can't say.

Is that the name for all Toblakai? i thought the tartheno were a different type of toblaikai (similar but maybe smaller or someway diffferent. Like the KCCm and the KCNR). I thought that was why the barghast werent the same as the Fenn

#13 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:14 PM

I believe that the TTT are supposed to be the original "giants". The huge demon/warrior/giant in the well in DG is believed to be such a creature.

Like the Imass, but not quite, it would seem that the Fenn, Teblor, Toblakai, Thelomen, Tarthano, or what you want to call them, are all fallen decendants of the older TTT.

These it would seem were real giants. They are described as very powerful and were more advanced than the big races we now know of. If the demon in the well is such a creature it would seem they knew iron/steel crafting and used armor plating.

In HoC legend tells of a terrible fate being avoided by Icarium helping the tribes of the TTT isolate themselves in mountain areas and deny them the right to continue to mingle among the clans. This I think was designed to cleanse a taint (of madness?) in their blood. Maybe it was just to awoid the TTT getting the same fait as the K'Chain and the Forkrul Assail.

If you remember, the Uryud leave their weakest children to the seven faces in the rock, I think it's even implied that they sacrifice many of their children. This could be a rule left behind from old times when the numbers of the teblor needed to be managed. If you recall, you hear of many dead siblings, but none living among Bairoth, Delum and Karsa. Actually the Unfound has taken them but that's beside the point.

#14 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:05 PM

One word for the taint - inbreeding.

And TTT is the full name for the original race, and those on Lether are a Teblor-like offshoot.

#15 User is offline   philospher77 

• Captain

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:54 AM

Illuyankas;105981 said:

One word for the taint - inbreeding.

While I agree that inbreeding is a major part of the taint, given that the K'Chain Che'Malle used a lot of technology, there is at least a possibility that some of the problems might have been caused by radiation-induced mutation. I have absolutely no basis for this idea except that the rate of defects seems unusually high in the Teblor, and if it's simply a case of inbreeding, you'd want to encourage outbreeding, not isolate the clans from each other. Perhaps some of the fall out from the K'Chain Che'Malle/Jaghut wars is more literal. Or, it could be a result of using the blood-oil. Super strength, berserker frenzy, increased sexuality, but with mutagenic affects?

#16 User is offline   Wry 

• High Fist
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:12 AM

Funnily enough i was thinking radiation too when i first read it.
“Arm yourself, Watson, there is an evil hand afoot ahead"

#17 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:04 PM

philospher77;106125 said:

While I agree that inbreeding is a major part of the taint, given that the K'Chain Che'Malle used a lot of technology, there is at least a possibility that some of the problems might have been caused by radiation-induced mutation. I have absolutely no basis for this idea except that the rate of defects seems unusually high in the Teblor, and if it's simply a case of inbreeding, you'd want to encourage outbreeding, not isolate the clans from each other. Perhaps some of the fall out from the K'Chain Che'Malle/Jaghut wars is more literal. Or, it could be a result of using the blood-oil. Super strength, berserker frenzy, increased sexuality, but with mutagenic affects?

The outbreeding is taken care of by the incessant raids and attacks on the other tribes, along with rapes and captured prisoners. This is taken to such an extent, even with the number of abandoned children the Teblor still have a reasonably stable population. As for the blood oil aspect (we haven't seen anything even vaguely radioactive yet), we've seen many benefical aspects of otataral, but what are the bad points...

#18 User is offline   Atrate61 

• Atri-Quirkle of High House Wombat

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:09 PM

I have been wondering the same thing, ever since we were introduced to Karsa and his buddies.

One thing I do remember that might give some scale is that it was mentioned in the book that Karsa's horse stood something like 26 hands high. A "hand" equals 4 inches here on Planet Earth, and the measurement is taken at the horse's shoulder. Extrapolating from that, Karsa's horse stood something like 81/2 feet tall *at the shoulder*. In order for Karsa to be able to mount without a mounting block, he'd have to be a lot taller than 8-9 feet, wouldn't he?

And if a "hand" is a TTT hand, well....god know how tall his horse was, OR Karsa for that matter.

The impression I got was that the TTT's were somewhere between 15 and 18 feet tall.

Cheers,

Atrate61

#19 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:46 AM

Atrate61;124817 said:

I have been wondering the same thing, ever since we were introduced to Karsa and his buddies.

One thing I do remember that might give some scale is that it was mentioned in the book that Karsa's horse stood something like 26 hands high. A "hand" equals 4 inches here on Planet Earth, and the measurement is taken at the horse's shoulder. Extrapolating from that, Karsa's horse stood something like 81/2 feet tall *at the shoulder*. In order for Karsa to be able to mount without a mounting block, he'd have to be a lot taller than 8-9 feet, wouldn't he?

And if a "hand" is a TTT hand, well....god know how tall his horse was, OR Karsa for that matter.

The impression I got was that the TTT's were somewhere between 15 and 18 feet tall.

Cheers,

Atrate61

This has been hashed out pretty well already. Basically, you can find evidence supporting him being 8-9 feet tall, you can also find evidence that he is much taller. Just decide which height you like best and ignore the contradiction. Until SE either corrects the contradiction in rewrites, or flat out tells us how big Karsa is, there will be no definitive answer.
Error: Signature not valid

#20 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:33 PM

We do know that they are giants, so I'd put him at taller than eight or nine feet, though when we first meet him he's still very young, he's at Raraku for a while so he could have grown. An average Tiiste is about seven foot, iirc, and they're never refered to as giants, so a Toblakai would have to be significantly bigger than that... I put Karsa at about fifteen feet at the end of HoC.
Edit: Upon flicking through some chapters yesterday evening, scratch that. Just over seven foot when he meets Kalam, eight or nine by the end of HoC.

If anyone knows the character Doomsday from Superman, I imagine him roughly that kind of body shape. But without all the bones.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users