• You cannot reply to this topic

World Map

#81 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:51 PM

It's quasi-SE approved!
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#82 Guest_Danyah_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:53 PM

Sure, but it's not perfect, explaining the fact that both Assail and Lether are possible homecountries to the Moranth. I bet Lether.

#83 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:56 PM

Well considering that Lether is a forest-filled distant southeastern continent occupied by Edur, it's a lot more likely than Assail, at least at first...

...until you consider that all the Edur were said to have died out at the Moranth's forests. The Lether Edur are very much alive. So Assail is looking better.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#84 Guest_Danyah_*

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:58 PM

I understood it was a warren-like place in the middle of forests in Genabackis....

#85 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:01 PM

Illuyankas said:

I was rereading MOI again, and at the part where Itkovian and Cafal are talking about the Edur they describe the home location of the Moranth and the previous place of the Edur as a distant continent southeast of the continent of Genabackis. "A land...of giant firs and redwoods and spruce - a forest unbroken, its feet hidden in shadow and peopled with deadly wraiths." Check the map - it's Assail. Maybe the Assailians have munitions as well as the quality ability of forging with sorcery we equate with the Tiste's? Human descendants of the friendly Edur-taught inhabitants seems pretty logical to me.

From earlier in the thread.

EDIT: Sorry, missed the first part of Itkovian's speech.
"...there are stories of a distant continent in the direction you have indicated."

Second EDIT: You know what? Page 442, trade paperback, MOI.

#86 Guest_Danyah_*

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:03 PM

I know, I just said wath I thought, doesn't mean I'm right. Sometimes I learn more here than in the books :D

Like the Ipshank thing

#87 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:06 PM

Cool. Remember kids, rereads are your friends! :D Buy a new copy every time you finish the old one!

#88 Guest_Danyah_*

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:13 PM

Especially NoK.

#89 Guest_Danyah_*

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:20 PM

That's what I recall to read too, because Barghast and Moranth were related by their ancestral spirits. The ones who travelled with the Imass and fought the Edur at sea.

#90 User is offline   Murrin 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:30 PM

Whoops, sorry, deleted my post. For reference: I said that I thought the Edur who died out were the ones who came to live in the forest on Genabackis with the Moranth.

To continue:

It seemed as though the story went: The (pre-) Barghast sailed from their old lands, along with a few Thelomen. They spent a long, long time on the seas, where they met and fought with Edur, apparently still in their empirical, expansionist stage. Some of the (pre-) Barghast did not want to fight with the Edur, and instead talked with them and learned from them. The two groups split - the Edur-friendly ones moved into the forest along with a number of Edur, and continued trading with the Edur from overseas. Over time they became the Moranth, with Barghast (Imass + Toblakai?) and Edur blood. The Edur themselves lost contact with their fellows (the final loss of Empirical aspirations and devolution into insular tribal society?) and gradually died out, leaving the Moranth alone with what they had learned.

Which tells us nothing about the Edur's homeland, or, more to the point, the world map.

#91 Guest_Danyah_*

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:32 PM

Ok my post was a reaction to Murrins original statement. And I'll quote myself again to back Murrin's statement.

I understood it was a warren-like place in the middle of forests in Genabackis....

#92 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:42 PM

Well, it was meant to be a possible description of Assail - covered in thick shadowy forests -using evidence from the world map.

#93 User is offline   Murrin 

• First Sword

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:43 PM

Of course. I was referring to the irrelevance of my own post, on the history of the Moranth.

#94 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:17 AM

Fair enough. That was just me being self-centred :D

#95 User is offline   madala 

• Sergeant

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:03 PM

6 vs 7.

Stratem is a sub-continent of Korelri, thus it should be joined to Korelri on the map (just like the sub-continent of India is joined to Asia :(.

Hence there are indeed 6 continents, and no need for land bridges between Quon Tali and 7 Cities.

One thing that does puzzle me a bit is that the tundra area of Lether appears to be pretty much on the Equator. How the hell does even a Jaghut induced ice-cap manage to survive ?!

#96 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:06 PM

madala said:

... How the hell does even a Jaghut induced ice-cap manage to survive ?!

Magic, obviously. :(

- Abyss, now watch me pull a rabbit out of my...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#97 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:54 PM

The Continent Numbering Problem:

1) Seven Cities (including the larger continent it is joined to)

2) Quon Tali

3) Genabackis

4) Korelri (including Stratem)

5) Lether

6) Assail

7) Jacuruku

You see the discrepency? The only way it really works is if Quon Tali and Seven Cities are counted together for some reason.

Also the ice-sheets on Lether and Quon Tali are probably maintained by magic. If they were originally created by magic and just left alone, then natural forces would indeed have melted them by now. However, the magic must be self-sustaining somehow. Maybe something as simple as multiple gates into Omtose Phellack just left open for all this time, perpetually freezing the area around them?
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#98 User is offline   madala 

• Sergeant

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:19 PM

Oops, can't count !

Here's another crazy one. I think that continental drift averages out at around 1cm/year, so over the course of 100K years, one would get a drift of 100 kms :(
Probably not enough however (LOL)

#99 User is offline   Oceao 

• Fist

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:36 PM

I just finished Bonehunters last night and can visit this forum once again. Low and behold, a world map. Thanks a lot for spending time to make this, its appreciated.

#100 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:30 PM

madala said:

Oops, can't count !

Here's another crazy one. I think that continental drift averages out at around 1cm/year, so over the course of 100K years, one would get a drift of 100 kms :)
Probably not enough however (LOL)

I don't know if I'm missing something here but a quick calculation in my head makes that 1 km, not 100 kms :)

But of course who says the tectonicplates only move 1 cm per year?

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users