• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

World Map

#121 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:14 AM

It's about the size of Britain, according to my extremly unscientific method of drawing it (i.e. guessing). Though big, it's still far too small to be called anything other than 'an island'.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#122 User is offline   henk 

• Corporal

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:30 PM

and how many people live in britian? i thought of seguluh iland like a tiny island how many segeuluh are there? lol suddenly a army of 1.000.000 segeluh comes and slaughters the entire world
and quen tali is WAY to small given how many cities appear on thge map in hoc or tbh(cant remember) and execpt the wickan plains and that mountain area north I think its completly populated unlike 7c with many odhans genebackis with plains and lether with its northlands

#123 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:27 PM

Actually, one thing that is definite about the world map is the size of Quon Tali, northern Genabackis, Seven Cities and north-western Lether in relation to one another and the size of the world (assuming it is Earth-sized). That all scales together nicely based on the map scales given in the books. But certainly Quon Tali has the appearance of being by far more densely populated than the other landmasses.

Not every single citizen of Seguleh is an insanely good warrior. I imagine that they have a civilian caste and the warrior caste is merely on top of that. Otherwise these super kick-ass soldiers are dividing their time between being ridiculously badass and baking bread, putting up street buildings and cleaning out the sewers, which seems a bit surreal. It's also possible that Seguleh is a reasonably-sized island but not very heavily populated, like say Britain two thousand years ago when you could travel tens of miles between settlements and not see another living soul.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#124 User is offline   Izingad 

• Recruit

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:16 PM

For some reason I always pictured this planet smaller than that of Earth....more Mars sized....hummmm? Thus the choppy seas...Wu has like tens moons pulling every which way.

Take an island the size of Hawaii....lots of peeps, not a lot of usable space b/c of the volcanoes...of course the Segulah could live underground substained by glowing mushrooms, etc.

#125 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:36 PM

Izingad;129054 said:

For some reason I always pictured this planet smaller than that of Earth....more Mars sized....hummmm? Thus the choppy seas...Wu has like tens moons pulling every which way.

Take an island the size of Hawaii....lots of peeps, not a lot of usable space b/c of the volcanoes...of course the Segulah could live underground substained by glowing mushrooms, etc.

Wu only has one moon, if it has more they are now too far away to see or they were destroyed.

I must admit I also have problems understanding the size of the continents, especially 7C.

#126 User is offline   GardenGnome 

• Emperor

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:52 PM

Indeed, Wu only has one moon, or at least they never mention any other than one. It could be because the others do not reflect light, and therefore do not really affect the goings-on. In DG they very often refer to moonlight and the moon not having risen yet.

In HoC there are talk of three moons (and two suns) in the Nascent, you might have it confused with that...

#127 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:08 PM

Just because they are too dark to be visible doesn't mean they don't affect the planet, you know.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#128 User is offline   GardenGnome 

• Emperor

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:18 PM

Yes, I was arguing that because they are too dark to be visible they aren't mentioned. That does in no way exclude the potential for existing moons out there. I seem to recall something about a shattered moon, but I can't put my finger on it... Not certain where I read it.

#129 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:24 PM

Wu had more at the time of MT, but whether they, like the main one, were damaged or destroyed by the incoming Jade Giants is still a mystery. And the shattered one you mentioned is the main normal moon, being pummeled by the JGs.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#130 User is offline   The Rope 

• Fist

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:30 AM

I think i remember the Ceda in MT talking about the possibility of Wu having several moons at one time, and that he was trying to figure out if that was true, and if so, if thhey were no longer there, destroyed, or hidden for some reason...

#131 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:44 AM

The Rope;129227 said:

I think i remember the Ceda in MT talking about the possibility of Wu having several moons at one time, and that he was trying to figure out if that was true, and if so, if thhey were no longer there, destroyed, or hidden for some reason...

I'm rereading MT at the moment, but haven't gotten that far yet. I'll post the quote when I come across it.
Error: Signature not valid

#132 User is offline   Ikeda 

• Recruit

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:22 AM

After reading BH P. 154, I was wondering if seven cities and Lether could be the same continent? Maybe connected by some "north pole" type artic land mass (possible full of Jugat), but I'm just extrapolating that last part.

#133 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:06 PM

Don't think so. Lether was a distant outpost of the First Empire, which arose on Seven Cities. So it's unlikely Lether is on the same continent as its founding Empire.

#134 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:56 PM

On the coninents problem, it not possible that the First Empire simply missed a continent? Europe was unaware of America for the majority of the existence of civilisation here so far, after all.
They could have missed Assail or Genebackis, is there any proof that they were on either?
Or they counted Korelri and Stratem together, or didn't count Quon Tali (it's pretty small compared to the continent it's next to, after all).
Edit, missed Werthead's post covering all this ¬_¬. Ah well.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#135 User is offline   Izingad 

• Recruit

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:40 PM

I guess what got me confused was pg 689, " a string of suns, a dozen in all..."

I took this to mean that there were in fact new moons lit by the sun and that all but two where in fact new moons....but I am dumb and more importantly wrong....they are all jg metors.

But now I must question...in a solar system with odd jg floating around , and Hood knows what else, these extra planetary bodies would change gravity as would a hidden moon......a la the Black moon in Dragonlance.

Man, I'm a dick. First I reference x-men in one string and now dragonlance!

#136 User is offline   Izingad 

• Recruit

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:41 PM

Oh ya...same area of BH, around pg689, is a good description of Koreli.

#137 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 02 November 2006 - 03:02 PM

Izingad;130247 said:

Man, I'm a dick. First I reference x-men in one string and now dragonlance!

I've only ever read one dragonlance book and it was crap, from that I deduced that all dragonlance books are crap, so yes... you're a dick ;)

#138 User is offline   Atrate61 

• Atri-Quirkle of High House Wombat

Posted 03 November 2006 - 01:43 PM

Hetan;78094 said:

Werthead's map ;)
Posted Image

I don't know if I'm just dumber than usual this morning or not....where is this map? I'd love to have a look at it.

Cheers all,

AT61

#139 User is offline   The Rope 

• Fist

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:22 AM

umm... its right there. look now.

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 12 November 2006 - 01:21 PM

I'm posting this here because it's related to maps.
Anyone out there with a decent scanner that can help me out on something for the wiki please?
If so please pm me :D

and just a point on the World Map.. Shal Morzinn is shown as part of the same continent as 7 cities. Is it confirmed that it's definately part of the land-mass and not an island?

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users