• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

World Map

#161 Guest_Sairin_Lote_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:06 PM

Hello there:) good job Werthead!

by the way i have some notes.

Firstly about the size of the continents. In map-making there are a lot of ways to project a 3D-shape (like a sphere) into a 2D (which is a map)

So technically speaking u can keep the size ratio intact but u will alter the directions or the distances.
Morover even if u choose to use the projection which alters the sizes there is no need to have the Equator as the unaffected line. Again it depends in which shape u use to project the Sphere
I guess these are technical matters and not many ppl will be interested.

About the Perish/Seven Cities continent.
It can still be one continent even if it's an island complex. If u think of Oceania u'll see that this is the case. Or even europe where England is a HUGE part of land but it's the same continent with Sicely (another big island) again a part of Europe's continent
:)

again great job!

#162 User is offline   Draconus 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:36 PM

Great Map!

One wonders, how much was the shape of the world, contemperary to Malazan Empire, shaped by the Jaghut and their glaciers? Or the KCCM and their massive works (such as the entire peninsula covered in pavement).

Curious, are the KCCM supposed to be "evil" by nature, or was theirs a situation like the Jaghut where the actions of a few rogue "tyrants" spelled the doom of their race? Or are they as whole to alien to humanity to be considered in terms of good and evil?

#163 User is offline   Deragoth 

• Lieutenant

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:12 PM

Werthead;81499 said:

The key reason acquatic species cannot become intelligent or sentient is that they lack the ability to create fire, which is necessary for technology, unless they evolve into land-dwelling creatures (erm, like us).

Also, by current models lifebearing planets can only exist in-between the Galactic spiral arms (like us) at roughly our distance from the Core or further out. Inside the arms there's too much risk of a nearby supernova irradiating the system and closer to the Core results in too much radiation. Recent studies of (IIRC) the Tau Ceti system indicate that it lacks a Jupiter-sized gas giant, meaning that any theoretical Earth-like planets in orbit around the star would be hit by roughly 10 times as many meteors as Earth (Jupiter or larger gas giants act like a giant vacuum cleaner sucking up or deflecting asteroids in the outer Solar system from trajectories into the inner system), suggesting that the presence of a large gas giant is essential as well for the development of life. Finally, the presence of an extremely large Moon (in relation to the size of the Earth) helps stabilise the axis and regularises the seasons and tides, which may also be essential for the development of life.

There are a couple of problems with this model (such as it disallows the possibility of life existing that can either handle or thrives on radiation) but overall it would indicate that the number of lifebearing planets and stars in our Galaxy is far, far fewer than previously indicated, though still in the tens if not hundreds of thousands.

There are a lot of assumptions in there. Fire isn't necessary for intelligent life. Technology such as we know it, yes, but there are limitless avenues for technological advancement. Just off the top of my head I can see an aquatic civilization advancing using geothermal energy, electromagnetism and various forms of radiation/pressure.

Our current models for planets which can sustain life are based on "our life". Similar heat, gravity, radiation et al. requirements. Even with this in mind, we have only recently begun to examine extra-solar planetary issues and I can see us rapidly evolving our templates for those life-sustaining models.

Unfortunately, most of the models are limited in that they have assumptions based on our own solar system. For example, the need for a large gas giant to protect us from meteors may or may not be necessary. Our solar system appears to have an inordinate amount of debris due to the destruction/creation of the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. Other systems may be relatively clean and not have nearly as much meteoric activity as we do.

#164 User is offline   BobSnow 

• Recruit

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:41 AM

Please help a beginner - Quon Tali is due south of the Seven Cities where it's always hot, and yet at the northern end of the Quon Tali map in Bonehunters I see the Ice Fields. Is it a question of elevation or is it possible/typical for a planet to be colder at it's equator?

#165 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:18 AM

One answer we have often come to embrace in regards to Malazan weather....Jaghut.
The Jaghut did it.

Or, "the Malazan world doesn't necessarily function like ours, given there is magic and species which can control the climate in one place for thousands of years".

:)

On a more serious note (although the above was serious), I have no idea. Technically the equator will always be warmer....otherwise it wouldn't be the equator.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#166 User is offline   Nagrom 

• Bard
  • Interests:music, music and Malazan

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:51 PM

maybe the world doesn't spin like ours, maybe the axis is slightly different

#167 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:50 PM

BobSnow;369981 said:

Please help a beginner - Quon Tali is due south of the Seven Cities where it's always hot, and yet at the northern end of the Quon Tali map in Bonehunters I see the Ice Fields. Is it a question of elevation or is it possible/typical for a planet to be colder at it's equator?

Easy answer: magic.

Seriously, I'm not sure why this question comes up so much given the umpteen thousand times we are told in the books about the Jaghut's mastery of ice magic and their creation of vast ice fields and glaciers permanantly maintained by magic (until something disrupts it, as happened to the Letherii ice fields in MT).
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#168 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:48 PM

View PostWerthead, on Aug 18 2008, 08:50 PM, said:

BobSnow;369981 said:

Easy answer: magic.

Seriously, I'm not sure why this question comes up so much given the umpteen thousand times we are told in the books about the Jaghut's mastery of ice magic and their creation of vast ice fields and glaciers permanantly maintained by magic (until something disrupts it, as happened to the Letherii ice fields in MT).

As the fourm wipe has taken Werthead's latest and greatest map here it is:

Attached File(s)

#169 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:31 PM

*bump*

#170 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:01 AM

I think I need to redo Genabackis so it looks less like a shell-less snail.

Or failing that, SE needs to unleash the 'official' map. My brain is hurting after trying to make sense of the new geographical info in RotCG.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#171 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:45 PM

Something I would like to do with the map, but it may be beyond my skills, would be to create a 'satellite' map of the Malaz world, like this one for the Forgotten Realms:

Posted Image

Getting all the mountains and the deserts and wastelands for the Odhans would be pretty cool.

#172 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:29 PM

View PostWerthead, on Sep 28 2008, 01:01 AM, said:

I think I need to redo Genabackis so it looks less like a shell-less snail.

I always thought it looked like the Mexican Worms you could get in the first 3D Worms game... and in a totally good way :thumbsup:
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#173 User is offline   Osserc - Lord of the Sky 

• Champion of High House Light
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, dammit!

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:11 AM

i made a "google earth" style version of your map. How do you like it?

And Werthead, if you want me to delete it off of Photobucket I will. I just put it on so that i could share it through Malazan Empire. I hold no rights to the original image.

http://s1039.photobu...alazanworld.jpg
"The red ink had been watered down. He painted wash on the map, covering areas now held by the Malazan Empire. Fully one half of the map...the north half...was red. Baruk jumped, his right forearm jerking out and knocking over the inkwell. The red ink poured across his map. Cursing, Baruk sat back. His eyes widened as he watched the spreading stain over Darujhistan and continue south to Catlin..."

#174 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:45 AM

Nicely done! The only thing I'd point out is this:

View PostWerthead, on 29 September 2008 - 10:45 PM, said:

like this one for the Forgotten Realms

You're labelling it as a map of the Malazan world when it's not.
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#175 User is offline   IgnatiusKruppe 

• Lieutenant

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:15 PM

re: Icarium & Drift Avalli.. Don't they encounter or at least sense it's presence somewhere in one of the first few books? I can't even place the novel, so I won't try and go further with that thought

#176 User is offline   Seguleh First 

• Recruit

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:18 AM

Awesome map ;)... Which is the continent that was destroyed by Kallor and hidden by K'rul ? Is it one of these ?

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users