• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who died for Paran?

#1 User is offline   Tempo 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 April 2006 - 03:28 AM

Just a question....

I am re-reading Gardens of the moon yet again. Paran has just been knifed and the Twins (Oponn) are talking to Hoods representative.

The deal is that there has to be "reciprocity", and that Oponn will arrange the death of someone close to Paran in exchange (In his shadow).

So who was that? Any ideas

#2 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 05 April 2006 - 03:55 AM

One of his parents, I believe.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#3 Guest_Didius_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:06 AM

His father I think. And then his mother killed herself giving Tavore no other option than Felisin for the culling. Rather widespread (and tragic) repercussions in fact.

#4 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:38 PM

There was mention earlier in the book, I think when he met Tavore, that one of his parents was ill. Later, when the deal for his resurrection is hammered out, the language implies Hood's servant will take someone close to him in exchange, someone who is already close to death.

So I'm pretty confident it was a parent of his, I think his father. Whichever one it was that Tavore was concerned about.

I don't think Paran knows about this bargain though, if Shadowthrone or Oponn lets slip that his father died so he could live who knows how he'll take it?

#5 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:15 PM

I'd always thought that the life which was taken was Felisin, not his parent's, but it really could be anyone close to Paran...

#6 User is offline   Tempo 

• Recruit

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:42 PM

Thanks for the replies,

But I dont think it can be Felisin, it is clearly shown that she died because she represented the whirlwind goddess, and because as a result Tavore stuck a big sword into her. Oponn didnt seem to be involved to me.

And didnt Paran parents die in the cull of the nobility at the start of DG?

I guess I was wondering was there a death that Paran himself reflects on in the book? In other words did Paran ever say,

"Oh no, X has died, woe is me, and whats more it was all my fault because I cheated death. Funny old world this..."

Have I just missed any reference such as this, or did Steven Erikson forget to include it?

#7 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:48 PM

I am being extra careful with spoilers. Lots of spoilers below.

Spoiler

#8 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:57 PM

o.O I always thought, it was Tattersail, who died in exchange for Paran...
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#9 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:11 PM

It can't possibly be someone who died AFTER the resurrection, because it was an EXCHANGE of souls.

Besides, Tattersail's soul went into Silverfox, not Hood's realm. So it's doubly not her.

#10 User is offline   Agraba 

• Emperor

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:46 PM

Well Dolorous Menhir, Oponn could always have failed.

Here's a question: Why didn't Hood say to Oponn, "Screw you, buddy. You're tool's dead, go cry about it." Many people die at a god's hand.

#11 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:40 PM

Because saving Paran and taking this other soul would almost certainly end up with a lot more deaths, and Hood getting more souls. Or something.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#12 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:47 PM

I spose hood wont risk himself for a soul if he is getting one in exchange!
its like laying some chips down on a bet and all you can win is your own chips back!
So why risk it? either way he would have gotten a soul.
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#13 User is offline   vrai 

• Corporal

Posted 22 April 2006 - 02:38 AM

The promise didn't suggest the person killed in Paran's place be known to Paran, just that it be premature and/or meaningless. The deaths I see during the same time frame that directly involved the Twins were:

a) Talo Krafar (in Darujhistan) when the coin was bounced in front of Crokus.

:) Councillor Lim (in Darujhistan) when the intended victim was Lady Simtal.

I don't see either death as being meaningless, but the second one was definitely premature.

And, of course, Oponn could always have failed...

#14 User is offline   Tempo 

• Recruit

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:45 PM

Vrai,

Cant remember the exact quote, but it is stated that the death has to be of someone within Parans "shadow", which I took to mean somebody close to him.

#15 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:49 PM

Toc! He was always shadowing Paran.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#16 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:15 PM

'The creature [a servant of Hood] grunted, shuffled close to look down at Paran. The eye sockets gllimmered faintly, as if old pearls hid within the shadows. "What, Oponn," it asked, as it studied Paran, "do you wish of my lord?"

"Nothing from me," the brother said, turning away.

"Sister?"

"Even for the gods," she replied, "death awaits, an uncertainty hiding deep within them." She paused. "Make them uncertain."

The creature cackled again, and again cut it short. "Reciprocity."

"Of course," the sister responded. "I'll look for another, a death premature. Meaningless, even."

The apparition was silent, then the head creaked in a nod. "In this mortal's shadow, of course."

"Agreed."

"My shadow?" Paran asked. "What does that mean, precisely?"

"Much sorrow, alas," the apparition said. "Someone close to you shall walk through Death's Gates...in your place."

"No. Take me instead, I beg of you."

"Be quiet!" snapped the apparition. "Pathos makes me ill."....'

- GotM mmpb p.138

So it's someone who is close to Paran, and (in my opinion) that someone must have died at around the same time period as this conversation took place, because it was an exchange (so, roughly, in the timeframe of GotM). Hood's servant agreed to the deal because it liked the idea of scaring some other gods, I suppose the implied targets are Shadowthrone and the Rope.

Felisin is in Ganoes' shadow, as a family member, but for reasons detailed in earlier posts it's not her.

Tattersail - she did die in GotM, but at the time of this conversation Paran hadn't even met her yet. And her death was (I think) the result of interference by a god with much longer-term goals than Oponn (probably K'rul). Plus her death, though premature, was of great import. So it doesn't meet the "meaningless" requirement.

Also suggested: Talo Krafar & Councilman Lim - zero association with Paran, both very significant. It makes no sense for it to be them.

The father makes the most sense. Although he is described as unwell, Tavore's words do not suggest he is terminal or at deaths door (Hood's gate?), so he can still satisfy the premature requirement. And he is the only family member of Paran's known to have died in the course of GotM (I know, a spoiler, but it's really not significant).

I don't see how it could mean anyone else.

edit: umm, Illuyankas, I don't know if you are playing a joke on people who've only read GotM, but (MoI spoiler)

Spoiler

#17 Guest_Danyah_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:02 PM

Dolorous Menhir said:

edit: umm, Illuyankas, I don't know if you are playing a joke on people who've only read GotM, but (MoI spoiler)

He didn't get past GotM. It's all show. Tnx for the text anyway.

#18 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:38 AM

I've just been very imaginative :)

No, I didn't want to spoil that for anyone.
Spoiler

#19 User is offline   vrai 

• Corporal

Posted 26 April 2006 - 01:10 AM

(This is long and not terribly well organized.)

I was looking hard at the reading conducted by Tattersail and Tayschrenn with the references to Darujhistan. The linkage is there - Orb (unaligned Paran), Virgin (HHD), Assassin (HHS), Oponn, and Crown (Darujhistan), hence my original suggestions.

However, accepting the notes subsequently posted are substantially correct, I went looking for someone else associated with Paran, but whose death occurred before Shadowthrone took possession of Chance (Paran's sword), thus forcing Oponn away from the 'game' and the opportunity to make good on the promise to Hood's emissary.

(Is this an acceptable premise? Is there an associated thread?)

These individuals were in Paran's shadow by 1154. Unfortunately I don't know how many months are in a Malaz year, and this can affect the following.

a) Whiskeyjack - no (too big a stretch you'll agree)
:) Fiddler - no
c) Surly - no
d) Felisen (natural choice, but no, see below)
e) Tavore (natural choice, but no, see below)
f) Father - no, see below.
g) Mother (natural choice, possible)

I exclude Tattersail (she was in the Mouse when Paran was observing the riots) as too big a stretch.

These individuals were added in 1161:

h) Lorn - no
i) Topper - no
j) Gamet - no (too big a stretch)

These were added in 1163:

k) Toc (too simple, I'm sure Erikson had his life story planned out)
l) Any of the Bridgeburners - no
m) Gear (big stretch, but it met Paran at Hood's Gate, then again in Dragnipur.)

All could have been in Paran's shadow when he visited Hood's Gate (1163), but his father almost certainly died shortly before the Year of the Cull (1163) - see the DG prolog (Felisen 'Speak with her, it's been months. Not even when Father died.'). The next time Felisen makes an appearance is in 1164, after Cotillion had took possession of Chance.

So, if we are to assume Oponn made good on the deal with Hood's emissary - and I don't accept that to be the case myself - and we put aside Darujhistan, then we are left with Paran's mother; a probable suicide as I recall, and within the possible timeframe.

Thanks for the earlier reviews.

#20 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:28 AM

I don't agree with your reasoning there, I still think it was the father. The mother died of a broken heart shortly after him.

And Rake killed Doan and Ganrod. Gear still lives.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users