Malazan Empire: Soldier of Death, Seguleh, T'orrud Cabal Analysis - Malazan Empire

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Soldier of Death, Seguleh, T'orrud Cabal Analysis

#41 User is offline   GingerBreadMan 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 March 2006 - 12:53 AM

The Imass are so interested because two entire clans were slaughtered there, by a human tyrant. No idea who the human tyrant is though,

#42 Guest_Push Pull_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 18 March 2006 - 03:08 AM

Yeah, but why were the clans there in the first place? The MoI army is going to try to rescue those currently engaged, not out of a blind desire to throw good after bad. T'lan Imass armies normally only go after Jaghut. Was the Tyrant just one of the side amusements they sometimes take up, or was there some sort of connection with Apsalar that drew them in?

#43 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily

Posted 18 March 2006 - 03:13 AM

Hunting Jaghut perhaps...they don't like the idea of Tyrants or False Gods be it any race, as we clearly saw in House of Chains and their slaughter of Loric's familiar. Its not for fun, they dont want to continue this anymore. The clans decided to go to Assail so they could be released as one, they have been bound for so long it makes sense to die as one.
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#44 User is offline   GingerBreadMan 

• High Fist

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:47 AM

I think intitially they suspected the tyrant was a Jaghut, like the pannion. The it turned out it was human, they all got killed, and now the Imass are going after this Tyrant because he/she is not very nice.

#45 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:55 AM

vaiski said:

Also, Cheater of death! implies that theres much more involved than a simple issue of Seguleh rankings.

Personally, I think this hunt has absolutely nothing to do with the Seguleh, and everything to do with Hood being pissed off at the Avowed for living longer than they're supposed to... Hence "cheater of death".
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#46 User is offline   GingerBreadMan 

• High Fist

Posted 18 March 2006 - 06:12 AM

Nope, after all Hood stopped the hunt. Thus the Soldier wouldn't be upset for getting pulled off of the chase since if it was on Hoods orders. I think this is something personal.

#47 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:35 AM

GingerBreadMan said:

Nope, after all Hood stopped the hunt. Thus the Soldier wouldn't be upset for getting pulled off of the chase since if it was on Hoods orders. I think this is something personal.

Now that is a very bold statement. The Soldier, and other minions of Hood all obviously hunt Skinner, so it would seem as if Hood want him found and possibly (most likely) killed, no? Pulling the Soldier away from the hunt might have been an act of necessity rather than want. We do not yet know the full significance of the encounter.

Do you truly believe that Hood would do something as petty as to trick the soldier away from the hunt if he did not wish Skinner found?
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#48 User is offline   Tiger_sword 

• First Sword

Posted 18 March 2006 - 11:08 AM

If hood hadn't pulled him of his course then cutter wouldn't know the truth about darujistan and his uncle. Prehaps cutter is supposed to do something important (thus the theory that someone had a hand in him surviving the imass incounter). In which case it seams like Cutter is quite a major player in what is to come (whatever that is)

#49 User is offline   GingerBreadMan 

• High Fist

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:24 PM

What I mean is this. If the Soldier is on a mission solely beause Hood told him to, he wouldnt have cared if his orders were changed, because all he is doing is what Hood wants.. If his hunt for Skinner was solely on Hoods orders he would have said something like" Ok fine, but make up your mind Hood jeez" but he seemed quite upset with Hood, which makes me think that this is a personal thing.

#50 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:02 AM

Pride should be enough to accomplish that effect. He is the 2nd after all

The 2nd may just be annoyed because his chance of fullfiling the mission first has been diminished though. Or perhaps skinner did indeed kill him. That does not however in any way alter the probability that the mission he is on is one decided by hood and not the soldier himself
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#51 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:39 AM

The Soldier seemed pissed off to me because Hood had pulled him out of his warren, off the hunt for Skinner, just to talk to Cutter and Heboric. I felt the Soldier saw it as an unnecessary detour from Hood's mission.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#52 User is offline   Blind 

• High Fist

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:20 PM

One thing that points against Skinner killing the Second is that the Avowed cannot be much older than the Empire (about a hundred years), since they were created to restore prince K'azz to his throne. The Second's remembrance of Darujhistan indicates that he lived and was killed much longer than a century ago. Dassem would also be too young for that.

#53 User is offline   GingerBreadMan 

• High Fist

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:13 PM

I just dont buy the theory that this was on Hoods orders...Blind just pointed out that Skinner really isnt that old, epecially compared to all the mages and strange cases like bridgeburners. I dont see that Hood would be all that upset over them being a little old, he seems like he is a patient enough god, whats a couple hundred years to him?

In addition, I dont buy that the Soldier would be upset if Hood interrupted a hunt that he had ordered him on. Seems like he would have just shrugged his shoulders and said w/e. Afterall he wouldnt really care if he caught Skinner if it was just business, he was just doing his job. I dont know why, but it seems personal between Skinner/Soldier for w/e reasons.

#54 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:46 PM

Well, the Soldier isn't the only one of Hood's minions hunting Skinner, and he says he was close, so to be pulled away from your (possibly century-old) hunt just to talk to some random people would piss anyone off at first, before the Soldier realised Hood's reason. Whatever it was.

And Skinner, while only 'comparatively' young, was still able to fend off Hood's Mortal Sword - a demonstration of his abilities, being an equal to Dassem, and a kick in Hood's teeth. And we all know how Hood deals with grudges...

And who's to say that the Second didn't get horribly lost centuries past, and become something of an Ascendant (for immortality) before running into Skinner (or Dassem) and getting killed more recently? He may even have been stuck on Assail before the CGrd reached it. Who knows what they've been up to, apart from SE and ICE?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#55 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:57 PM

I though Dassem Ultor was the Knight of Death...was he also the Mortal Sword of Hood?

#56 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 March 2006 - 06:00 PM

That's what I meant, though I did read that he was MS in everything but name somewhere in there. I think.

#57 User is offline   Set'alahd Crool 

• First Sword

Posted 19 March 2006 - 06:53 PM

I'd just like to say that "Only Skinner escaped with his life" doesn't make him Dassem's equal.

#58 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:10 PM

Set said:

I'd just like to say that "Only Skinner escaped with his life" doesn't make him Dassem's equal.

Probably, but to escape Dassem while in a swordfight makes him a damn sight closer to Dassem's skill than all the other Avowed.

And my theory that Dassem killed the Second while serving Hood seems a bit more likely after skimming through NOK, as Dassem's pact with Hood was said to have been made when Temper's grandfather was alive - fitting in with the length of time the Second needed to be away from Genabackis somewhat.

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:47 PM

Nope... the Seguleh have been gone from Darujhistan for far longer... long enough to make an island their own. I don't recall hearing anything intimating previously that the Seguleh had been in the city.
In fact the opposite... very little is known about them at all and I feel it would take longer than roughly 75 years to accomplish that. :rolleyes:

#60 User is offline   MecnunK 

• 5324th Seguleh and climbing

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:25 AM

So have the thirds been jumping to the first's position all this time the 2nd has been dead and clearly noone can find the 2nd as he still has the mask.. or the 1st has lived for a while.

If Rake is still 7th after 500 years then did he actually beat the seventh or move to seven through people dying off etcetra because if he didnt then that implies people jumping from 8th to sixth?

The seguleh could well be aware that Rake still lives hence they keep the 7th place free but we could have a new second now who has disappeared and the dead 2nd used to be the second at some point he died. It sounded like he was dead for a while.

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users