• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Character/creature description help

#41 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:55 PM

Here's a work in progress before I head off on holiday for a week :)

Another go at the Forkrul Assail, with some ideas for the clothing inspired by Dolmen. Got details around the face, clothing and weapons and some background to add.

Posted Image
Seraph777 - DeviantArt...
SteveBellshaw - Patreon, wips, psds, new work...

#42 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:33 AM

Wow smiley, really impressive I like how you rendered the swords and her facial expression is brilliant! though a bit creepy...:)
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#43 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:47 PM

Excellent rendition! One of the best interpretations of a character from the books so far!! The only exception I would make is the joints, I feel she shouold have more, but you got the face BANG ON as to how I imagined the one from under the rock in HOC though!! Love it!

I also really dug the Mappo one and the SECOND Karsa one is getting close to how I picture him. (As I also imagined the tattoo being a smashed window from center idea)
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#44 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for comments :), I'll try some pencil sketches soon with more joints, just got to try to work out how the muscle and bone structure will work???

#45 Guest_Skawn_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:31 AM

Love both Smiles and Dolmens FA interpretations, very good indeed. For some reason Dolmens reminds me of David Bowie tho...

I have a strange mind at times.

#46 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:01 AM

Another go at Karsa and a Jaghut...

Ignore the bit of body, going to rework that, aim any crtis/comments at the head! :)
Posted Image

An idea of a Jaghut.
Posted Image

#47 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:43 PM

The art so far is amazing, Mappo is well done and so far I can't decide on any version of Icarium. And the last version of the Assail is just brilliant.

Though it would seem I'm the only one who thought Jaghut tusks resembled more those of an elephant, portruding like a continuation of the outer jaw line and not actually part of the mouth like teeth.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#48 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:36 PM

I wasn't sure on how the tusks should look, but that does sound like a cool idea and would make them more distinct. Will have to have a go at that :D

#49 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:23 PM

The tusks are described as affecting the speech of a Jaghut/Jhag - a few references to how people who speak Jaghut without the tusks sound different - so I think they are just larger teeth. Good idea though.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#50 User is offline   Serrat 

• Corporal

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:29 AM

About the joints in the Assail thing. I've been thinking about that for a while and I think the wording ("appeared to have too many joints") implies not that the FA actually have more joints, but that they are set up a bit different than you or me. My thoughts are that the FA are digitigrade. This is probably due to my desire to see them as less humanoid though... I also imagine the Jaghut as being digitigrade come to think of it.

My theories tend to meet poorly when put up, but I wanted to present them nonetheless. Have fun tearing it apart :).

#51 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:22 AM

I've gone through the FA descriptions as much as a I can before drawing and there are a few things I can think of, off the top of my head.

It would seem they have an extra arm joint, as they can wrap a limb around weapons, from SE's description it goes further that what a human can achieve. This is in MT.

Some joints are reversible, the knee joints are described as such, again MT.

I know what you mean with them being digitigrade, I see them as stealthy and fast and tried to get that in the colour painting.

To me the Jaghut are almost the reverse, I think of them, as heavy boned brutally strong creatures, think of Raest. When fully armoured, such as Azath dwelling ones, they are huge looking. None of the stealth of a digitigrade.

Nothing to tear apart, it's good to discuss the creatures in detail. Wouldn't mind putting these in a Forkrul thread, when I get some new sketches finished.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users