• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Character/creature description help

#21 User is offline   Tes'thesula 

• High House My House
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:29 AM

The only thing apart from praise (they're amazing and can't wait for more) is that Icarium , if he is not in his rage, should have more compassionate features....but again, amazing

Edit: trull looks somewhat how i imagine a forkrul Assail to look...must be the baldness

#22 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:29 PM

Here's a go at Karsa...

Posted Image

#23 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:33 PM

Again, cool, that's a damn good drawing.

Though personally, I always envisaged Karsa's tattoo to be cracks emanating from a central point - like smashing a window.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#24 User is offline   Red_orbiT 

• Lieutenant

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:27 PM

Strange, I always imagined karsa as a large version of Arnold(the terminator), but on the other hand I imagined trotts the same way(limited imagination?)...
Still a really good picture though. It's probably impossible to make everyone feel that a picture is "right", when they all imagined it differently in the first place...

#25 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:46 AM

Red_orbiT said:

Strange, I always imagined karsa as a large version of Arnold(the terminator), but on the other hand I imagined trotts the same way(limited imagination?)...
Still a really good picture though. It's probably impossible to make everyone feel that a picture is "right", when they all imagined it differently in the first place...

I found a description of Karsa that notes that he has a wide, flat face with a braid that hangs down over his chest. It made me think of russian/steppe tribes. I'd also like to tweek his look away from human to show that he's a Thelomen Toblakai, and apart from size I feel that there should be something more... don't know what yet!! :p

IIRC Trotts should be similar to an Imass, with heavy features but with a (probably) slightly larger body frame.

Imagination wise, I'm trying to glean every bit I can out of the books, but it's surprising just how little description there is. Just enough to let your own mind create the character without slowing down the story.

#26 User is offline   Red_orbiT 

• Lieutenant

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:36 PM

I actually love that the character descriptions are so thin. Gives you some room for... erm... fantasy! Wich is what fantasy is all about...

#27 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:22 AM

I had a surge of inspiration and thought I'd have a go at Travore, this part of a larger work in progress (plus trying out a different style of painting) and want to know if the face works before I get down to more detail...

Posted Image

#28 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:57 AM

works for me.. Aren't her eyes blue/grey though, or is that a part of her apperance that my imagination added on its own?
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#29 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:38 PM

Glad you like, her eyes will be going grey as soon as I'm happy with their position :p

About a couple of hours into the painting I got a Joan of Arc feeling about it creeping over me...

#30 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 30 March 2006 - 12:10 PM

bell said:

Glad you like, her eyes will be going grey as soon as I'm happy with their position :p

About a couple of hours into the painting I got a Joan of Arc feeling about it creeping over me...

yeah it does have that vibe. I for one really like your version of karsa if you want maybe you could push the brow forward a bit to give him that thelomen GQ look but otherwise I think the picture fits the profile well enough.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#31 User is offline   Valgard 

• Bored Microbiologist (not a good combination)

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:21 PM

They are brilliant especially rake it is very close to how I pictured him the only thing I would say is to make his skin more ebony in colour this is how I pictured it but no idea if it is correct or not.

I always imagined Karsa as less human featured more ogre/orc/troll like i gues but not really sure on that one just how I see them. I do like your trull sengar though he is great.

Mappo is great though think you really captured him there.

Icarium also I imagine the Jaghut to be much less human more bestial from the descriptions in the book. Not sure if the jhag are like this to though.

Excellent effort though.

#32 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:41 PM

Dolmen and Valgard: Karsa will be going through several incarnations no doubt until it feels like I've done justice to him :p

Rake's skin will be pitch when I get round to a concept painting.

Thanks for comments!
Seraph777 - DeviantArt...
SteveBellshaw - Patreon, wips, psds, new work...

#33 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:05 PM

A quickish go at a Forkrul Assail...

Posted Image

and another at Karsa!

Posted Image

#34 User is offline   Set'alahd Crool 

• First Sword

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:45 PM

Great stuff so far. My suggestons would be to give Karsa's mouth a change - I think teh teblor have large upper canines that aren't visible with the mouth closed but coud cause the mouth to bulge slightly (I might be wrong, but t's the besial edge my imagination gave to Karsa's features) - and with the Rake and Trull the high cheek bones are spot on, but I don't think they should be quite so pronounced.

That said, I'm really impressed with what you've done.

#35 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:16 AM

Forkrul Assail! Finally! I'll show you my version the instant I upload it but I think your version is brilliant bell.

I agree with karsa about the protrusion of the jaw. I agree with that perception but also not sure if its accurate...

anyways its really good.:p
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#36 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 04 April 2006 - 11:52 AM

I agree you both about Karsa's mouth, not at all sure what to do except to make his mouth stronger looking, but nothing so far in the books suggests that he looks bestial, just huge and barbaric, IIRC his teeth are filed into points!

Does anybody have an exact idea how big he is, I get the impression from the books that he's somewhere between 7.5' to 9' tall (descriptions range from him being Jhag/Jhagut height to 1.5 times man height)?

Be good to see your Forkrul Assail Dolmen, I've had lots of goes but this is the first I've been okayish with.

#37 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:00 AM

I done my Forkrul Assail. Kinda felt she needed some special touches so...

[ATTACH]272[/ATTACH]

#38 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:52 AM

Really like it, especially the detail in the fingers, face and weapon harness the rendering and shading are great. Your style seems to have changed a bit, less anime?

Are you studying art? If you're interested there is a really great concept art site that I go to for inspiration.

#39 Guest_Danyah_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 07 April 2006 - 03:16 PM

Very nice drawing, but it makes me think of a ballet dancer, and it doesn't fit with my mental projection. Still, nice work.

#40 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:15 AM

@danyah Yip I kinda felt she had that kinda grace. I was goin for the look of being on the verge of a dance of death. I know everone pictures an assail much like Smileys, even I do, but I wanted to break the mould and convey how I feel about the FA in general.

@Smiley I did art in school and still doodle when I get a chance. I love that site its amazing. Most of the drawings I do revolve around an Idea I have for a book. The rest are malazan oriented. Can't get the anime out of me DBZ scarred my style for life. :)

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users