• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Character/creature description help

#1 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:39 AM

Hi, the amount of inspiration in the books is one of the things I love about reading them, but trying to remember where to find character and creature descriptions isn't easy.

So, I have a general request for where to find descriptions so that I can draw/paint something that's fairly accurate. It would amount to a quick email to me or this thread containing a ref to the character, book title and page number. Even the smallest physical details!

To get me started I've been working on a trell, as Mappo is one of my favourite characters. It's a work in progress...

Posted Image

Thanks in advance for any help, and any crits would be welcome :p

#2 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:36 AM

Hey, that is a really good start on Mappo! :p

a few things...Mappo has a 'mane' of black hair on his shoulders and bristle-backed hands, large tusks... larger than Icarium's, and his hair is braided and studded with fetishes :p

all that info can be found here:http://starvalddemel...om/Mappo%20Runt

presumably you will find some of the other entries useful as well. Cheers :p

#3 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:47 AM

Many thanks, just what I want, site bookmarked and going to be well used!

Might have to make Mappo wider...

#4 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:06 PM

I'd make Mappo more bulky, dwarf-like. but that's me.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#5 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:21 PM

I will make him wider and more densely muscled (like a dwarf), especailly given the following description from the Encylopaedia... the siege engine comment does make me grin and shed a whole different light on mappo.

'Short and wide as a siege engine, his skin a deep, warm brown, his black hair braided and studded with fetishes. If anything, his canines were bigger than his companion's (Icarium), and looking much sharper. A Trell.' (DG, UK MMPB, p.302)

I want to catch the intelligence and empathy Mappo has too rather than making him just bestial, it's tough one but fun to try.

#6 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:45 AM

@bell-That pic of yours was an awesome first aproach. I'd love to see your second version with just one piece of advice. his posture might be more "shouldered" or top heavy. I'm interested to see how you'll interpret his intelligence.'

Good luck though its evident you don't need it.:p
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#7 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:58 PM

Some detail added to his face and now wider/heavier

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 14 March 2006 - 06:12 PM

The edited one fits better, I think :p
I like it very much :p
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#9 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:41 PM

Very damn good, I am throughly impressed. I'd love to see your versions of Icarium, Karsa and the various Tiste characters.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#10 Guest_Dryad_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:51 PM

Wow, great pic!

Dryad

#11 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:15 PM

Thanks all!! I'm going to work my way through the characters, going to take a while :p Any input is more than welcome so I can try to do justice to them.

#12 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:00 AM

wow bell the second won is really good. darkening the shadows round his eyes was a clever move. I'd love to see an icarium in your style. got to say, you've got a brilliant grasp on characterisation.

keep it up!
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#13 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:36 PM

A few sketches, trying to get the idea of some of the characters...

Comments, criticisms welcome :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Loof 

• Sergeant

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:02 AM

Very nice.
Dont have any comments on the Icarium pic as I have always had trubble picturing him, thanks for the help.

Trull looks a bit to skinny to my eyes, but I don't have any quotes to back that up with. Also Edur are suposed to be grey skinned so I think he should be a bit darker in skintone more like rake is now.

Rake is very nice, but again he should have black skin which I don't realy feel he has now. A second and alot more vague thing is that Rake is suposed to be pretty big, around 7 feet tall which I have truble seeing in this picture. This is probably because he is the only thing in the pic so nothing to give scale, so in the final picture I would definetly add some background details to give scale to the image.

Oh and dont take these coments as attacks, I realy like the scetches and know how hard it is to give the imprssions of colors when working in pencil. Hope this helps in some small way. Keep up the good work.

#15 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:27 AM

Crits are welcome, these are first attempts to try and get the idea right. So any forum details/insights are helpfull.

#16 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:01 PM

I've always seen Icarium as slightly more humanlike than orc-ish. In my mind Icarium looks... kind.. Dunno, I just don't get the impression that his face is as.. intimidating as that. But this is just me obviously...

This does not mean I don't like the scetches. I'm truly impressed, especially by mappo. Rake also fits in my mind, though he is described as big and powerfull with a broad back and shoulders.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#17 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:16 PM

Morgoth said:

I've always seen Icarium as slightly more humanlike than orc-ish. In my mind Icarium looks... kind.. Dunno, I just don't get the impression that his face is as.. intimidating as that. But this is just me obviously...

This does not mean I don't like the scetches. I'm truly impressed, especially by mappo. Rake also fits in my mind, though he is described as big and powerfull with a broad back and shoulders.

They're both kinda hard to picture, the tusks for Icarium alter the whole face shape and he has vertical slits rather than pupils, making him more bestial and I guess generally intimidating. It'll change when I do a colour version. I'm going to have a few goes at Icarium, he deserves a lot of attention! As does.... Rake

Rake's also going to be fun, as I get the general impression that the Tisti Andii are taller and slimmer built than the Edur. But, slim martial types tend to have a broad back as the lat muscles and shoulders really push out the upper body sideways as you describe. Gives me stuff to work on.

Anybody got a ref for clothing for the Tisti Andiii?

Cheers

#18 User is offline   aLiCe 

• Recruit

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:14 PM

Like it all! :rolleyes:
Very nice. ;)
You're very talented!^^

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:02 PM

The Edur have a more brutish cast than the Andii who are more graceful.. the Edur appear to be more barbaric?

THere's a load of information on the Edur here.. :

Clothing.. not much in the way of descriptions here... Korlat wore light leather armour I think? sorry.

Keep up the really good work :rolleyes: I'm looking forward to seeing more

#20 User is offline   Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:59 PM

Thanks aLiCe :rolleyes:

Hetan said:

The Edur have a more brutish cast than the Andii who are more graceful.. the Edur appear to be more barbaric?

Hetan, thanks for the link, need more of that sort of stuff. Could also be used for the wiki.

I had the idea that that the Edur were similar looking to the Andii, just slightly thicker set and that only their clothing/culture was more barbaric.

Maybe, Trull is just one of the good looking ones! Will have to find some of the comparisons to Ahlrada Ahn.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users