Malazan Empire: High House Life - Questions - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

High House Life - Questions

#1 Guest_bluesman_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:08 AM

I'm only 130 pages into Bonehunters - but this is something I've wondered about since the first book.

This is the House that on paper sounds like it would be one of the most important but the books so far has been very cryptic about it's function. Unless there's some passage I've missed. Yes, we know that the only ascendant is Queen of Dreams and that she was a companion of Anomander but. What is the purpose of this House? Is it like governing the birth of men or just generally managing all life? Does the Queen of Dreams have more power than the other houses. And more important, what is the relation to the Elder Warrens? I'm assuming that a Throne of Life of sorts must have been at place before the Queen took it?

I've also noticed that it has a Queen but no King, nor any Champion.

I'm hoping to see more information about this in Bonehunters but if not, in the following books.

bm

#2 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:21 AM

perhaps the Queen of Dreams deals with births as Hood does with deaths. there just haven't been any births (or even pregnancies?) in the series so far. regarding the absence of a counterpart to Hood's Warren (of DEATH) perhaps the pool she uses in HoC to help L'oric is her source of power, one not generally available to mages in the realms. but now that I think about it, when L'oric went to speak to her he must have been in her warren...

I always thought it was interesting that the QoD is perhaps the most senior "formerly mortal" ascendant (she was T'riss, mortal companion to Rake & Brood).

as for the rest of the House being empty, I've been assuming that many of the positions in all houses really are filled and the glossary is really just a (very) partial record. for example, we have Sorry as Virgin of HHD and Whiskeyjack as Mason of HHD, positions not reflected in the glossary. there are probably temporary people rotating through all the positions and we just don't know, and people permanently occupying many positions that are not well known (for example Gethol not appearing in GotM & DHG glossaries).

#3 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 25 February 2006 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Well there has been at least one birth and a pregnancy but they aren't exactly natural (in GoM plus the Shaik that is).

I wonder if High House Life also control actual life in general, as in, the rest of biology.

One interesting thought. Does this Pantheon work on reincarnation? IE, does High House Life use Hoods domain to create new life.

I hope Erikson releases a special "Pantehon Guide" at some point, would be cool for RPG purposes.

bm

#4 Guest_Dakkareth_*

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:18 PM

I can't see the Queen of Dreams actually having dominion over life - it just would be too much. But she seems to be the most often invoked goddess (except for curses, which usually involve Hood, Togg or another nasty :)), so her base of worshippers is probably quite large. Easy thing, too, when your monasteries are houses of pleasure and your religion probably involves a lot of 'think positive, be happy' (pure conjecture that, but seems likely to me).

#5 Guest_LittleOldLady_*

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:24 PM

If the High House of Life has influence on birth and reincarnation, the Queen of Dreams might have some power over it. Not total dominion, as Dakkareth said, but much like Hood has over Death... Hood can't kill someone with a thought (not that I know of...) but he can set events in motion.

She might be popular, in one form or the other with the various tribes and cultures that believe in rebirth. And maybe the spirits and little gods connected to these tribes pay homage to her, in the context of rebirth.

Maybe Coltaine's reincarnation at the end of Deadhouse Gates was, in part, influenced by the Queen.

Possible candidates for her house are hard to envision at the moment... for me, at least. Mallet sounds like a likely candidate. Maybe Tehol for saving the lives and identities of those tribes the Lether kingdom crushed/overtook.

Unless he starts a High House of Water/Sea/Seawater with Bugg...

#6 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:53 PM

I am assuming that number of worshippers = power? Then it seems that the Queen would have potential power she simply chooses to not use in any direct manner.

I'm guessing that she's biding her time still :).

bm

#7 Guest_Tempest_*

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:36 PM

i don't know what place she has in the scheme of live but she is referred to as the goddess of divination

#8 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:46 PM

Patch's sig... Could that be T'riss? Or is it someone else, assuming it's flashback or not?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#9 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:55 PM

The sig is from Reaper's Gale and its from the prol...I swear we established that before lol
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#10 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:25 PM

I forgot... but you didn't say whether or not it was her?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#11 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:14 PM

Is the QOD a recent ascendent or sutton? in NOK shes reffered the curses e.g. Hoods Balls as triss. So is it common knowledge or sutton? Because i got the impression that Loric only knew due to his fathers companionship.

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:48 PM

Rake and Brood travelled for a while with a sorceress who ascended to become the Queen of Dreams iirc. :)

#13 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:40 PM

Not to forget Lady Envy. Wonder where she went?

However. The Warren itself, very little is explained about it's nature so far.
Seems like it's time for it soon :).

bm

#14 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:34 AM

yes but in NOK shes refferred to as triss a few times. by temper when he curses. I always assumed they were like secret names or sutton. like the twins of opponn arent really both called opponn

#15 User is offline   Midnight 

• Captain

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:51 AM

The Queen of Dreams seems to be manipulating events on a fairly large, albeit, sublte scale. For instance she told L'oric she would choose a new guardian for Kurald Thryallan. She attempted to use Felisin the Younger, used Leoman and tried to use Corabb. Seems like she is allied with Hood and presumably other gods against the Crippled God. So perhaps High House Life is a little more active than it appears.

Two personal theories:

1) I think Queen of Dreams will have a big role in book 9, just judging by the title (Dust of Dreams)

2) Maybe Leoman will become the Champion of High House Life, crazy I know but possible :(

#16 Guest_Angel_*

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:07 PM

I was more under the impression that she was going to use Leoman when she wants something for him- and this using aint going to really benefit him. Her aims are ambiguous, but thats only because nothing seems clear cut about her goals yet. We assume she is opposing the CG and I think that is as far as we can go atm.

Whether she will have a big role is hard to say. I think we will see her continue to move behind the scenes- as that seems to be her way.

#17 User is offline   Asandir 

• Hermit
  • Interests:Anime
    Manga
    Computer games and of course books.
  • Poof...I dissappeared again

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:13 PM

Don't get the little interlude in which shes manipulating cutter somehow(when she allows him to see the confersation between leoman and co.).
Piece o candy, piece o candy, piece o candy aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........................................

#18 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:18 PM

It's a bit of a stretch, but it seemed to me that Triss and Ardata and the QoD are all the same person.

So we would have a sorceress who had her own little empire under Kallor's, went wandering with Rake and Brood for a while and eventually ascended to Goddess status.

High House Life isn't that depopulated - Morgara and Agayla at a minimum seem to be linked to QoD... either of them could be in the priest, weaver, champion or virgin positions. Plus Rath'QoD appeared to be one of the more effective of the council in Capustan in MoI (she knew about the Bhargast canoes in the basement), so add her to the list.

It's been theorized here more than once that Fiddler is the Soldier, altho he could as easily be in HHLight, i suppose.

- Abyss, skipping the obvious 'virgin positions' joke.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#19 User is offline   PannionDude 

• Lieutenant

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:54 PM

I can't really see Leoman as champ of High House Life...the destruction of Y'Ghatan and the birth of the flame elemental spirit seem a bit too celebratory of matter over mind for him to be affiliated with High House Life.

Also, QoD freezes Leoman and Dunsparrow, and let's Cutter see it. I think she's trying to let people know that she's taken Leoman out of the game for a while, which doesn't seem like something she'd do to someone about to join her in HHL.

#20 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:13 PM

Abyss said:

It's a bit of a stretch, but it seemed to me that Triss and Ardata and the QoD are all the same person.

T'riss, sorceress and companion of Rake & Brood, is the QoD, as explicity given in the books. I don't see any reason to connect her with Ardata. Mappo thought he recognised (all but certain to be) Ardata, and I think he would've known the QoD for sure. We see both maybe-Ardata and the QoD in BH, did you think "hey, these two entirely different women - one hiding in a dark, distant past, one actively influencing the world and kidnapping pyromaniacs - are the same person!"

High House Life isn't that depopulated - Morgara and Agayla at a minimum seem to be linked to QoD... either of them could be in the priest, weaver, champion or virgin positions. Plus Rath'QoD appeared to be one of the more effective of the council in Capustan in MoI (she knew about the Bhargast canoes in the basement), so add her to the list.

Mogora is associated with Ardata (Cotillion's words, and I think her reaction backs them up), not the QoD. Unless you are already assuming Ardata=QoD, then this is not evidence linking the two.

It's been theorized here more than once that Fiddler is the Soldier, altho he could as easily be in HHLight, i suppose.

Why HHLight?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users