• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

High House Life - Questions

#21 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:38 PM

Because Morgora is a d'ivers spider who uses the moon to heal Mappo... spider, weaver, moon, Ardata -> T'riss. At least, that's my rationale.

Rake has like three names. Envy has at least two. Cotillion and Mappo may know her by different names.

As for Fiddler, and HHLight as opposed to Life, well, why not? We have so few clues that i figure it could go either way.

- Abyss, goes either ways. Oh, was that out loud?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:39 PM

Always fancied L'oric as champion of HHLife.. :(

#23 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:28 PM

Hetan said:

Always fancied L'oric as champion of HHLife.. :(

Just on the basis of how many times he can be stabbed in the chest and not die, he deserves to be. ;)

- Abyss, thinks of Loric as the monty pythonesque black knight... "c'mon, i'll gnaw your kneecaps orf!"

#24 User is offline   Midnight 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:52 PM

I think that Queen of Dreams and Ardata are definetly separate...wasn't pretty well established that Ardata was an elder goddesss?

I had considered Caladan Brood for champion of High House Life but he seems more aspected to Burn who is unaligned.

Other positions in the house could be filled by Soliel and Gedderone both of whom seem fairly life-aspected.

#25 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:53 PM

Always assumed L'oric was most likely in HHLight - protector of KThyrllan via his familiar, a Tiste Liosan (the race of Light), son of only known HHLight member...

Could just as easily be a member of HHLife though, I'm not even sure if it's right to say that the "empty" Houses are actually full and we just haven't been told.

Maybe all those positions really are empty.

#26 Guest_Toblakai_*

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:15 PM

In MoI when the brigdeburners are doing a reading:
"The Captain of High House Light holds out some hope, but it's shaded by Hood's Herald - thought not directly, there's a distance there , I think. The Assassin of Hight House Shadows seems to have accquired a new face."

Allways thought the captain was L'oric, but since the assassin is Kalam, could they have been talking about Fiddler? But can't remember that any of those 2 had anything do with the Herald, so perhaps somebody with a better memory could shed some light.

#27 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:02 PM

A position in a reading does not automatically equal a position in a House. Repeat.
A position in a reading does not automatically equal a position in a House. Repeat.

- Abyss, Abyss, Abyss.

#28 Guest_potsherds_*

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:48 PM

Dolorous Menhir said:

...I'm not even sure if it's right to say that the "empty" Houses are actually full and we just haven't been told.

Maybe all those positions really are empty.

While everyone is making assumptions, let me make mine:
The empty positions in the Houses really are empty, unless introduced in the index or directly, through the books.
Considering that (most of?) these positions are filled by ascendants, it seems logical to me to think that the positions may once have been filled, and the persons in those position got into a tussle with someone else and bit the dust.

And, what Abyss said: Deck of Dragons position != House position

#29 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:13 PM

Toblakai said:

In MoI when the brigdeburners are doing a reading:
"The Captain of High House Light holds out some hope, but it's shaded by Hood's Herald - thought not directly, there's a distance there , I think. The Assassin of Hight House Shadows seems to have accquired a new face."

Allways thought the captain was L'oric, but since the assassin is Kalam, could they have been talking about Fiddler? But can't remember that any of those 2 had anything do with the Herald, so perhaps somebody with a better memory could shed some light.

That bit, to me at least, implied Whiskeyjack, as the distance to the Herald of Death works out to the length of time before he died. More so than Brukhalian, anyway. But we could debate who's meant by Deck readings all day. And yes, for most cases they're not in the House, it's a tarot reading basically.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#30 User is offline   GardenGnome 

• Emperor

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:32 PM

There is a link between Wiskeyjack and Hood, remember his younger sister. When she was young, he rescued her from Hood's temple, which gained Hood's wrath. However, that seems a bit far-fetched... The link to Brukhalian seems more probable.

#31 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 02 June 2006 - 03:10 AM

I meant as in, the Herald was distant because he had some time before he died. But the only thing stopping me from believing it was Brukhalian is the fact he was really very important at all. Itkovian? Gah - all three of them were leaders and died early... I could skin SE sometimes.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#32 User is offline   madala 

• Sergeant

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:52 AM

Getting back to HH Life. From Fiddler's game on baord the Froth Wolf :

"Dealer gets Soldier of High House Life, but its bittersweet, meaning it's for him and him alone, given this late hour. Empty chair [Bottle] gets Weaver of Life and she needs a bath but nobody's surprised by that."

From which we can assume perhaps that Weaver = Eres'al ? Fiddle = Soldier.

#33 User is offline   Monoch Ochem 

• First Sword

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:42 PM

I don't know why but when I read the stuff about her needing a bath, I thought it's Lady Envy. That's why noone's surprised...she's always preening herself and having baths in the strangest places at the oddest times.

Wonder if Fiddler would be so crass as to suggest that the E'res smells?
"We greet you Jaghut."

#34 User is offline   Dark Mac 

• Emperor

Posted 02 June 2006 - 02:29 PM

Well, she would be covered in Bottle's...fluids, and that's certainly not a pleasant smell.

As for Envy, Fiddler said *needs* a bath, not *wants* a bath.

#35 User is offline   PannionDude 

• Lieutenant

Posted 02 June 2006 - 02:47 PM

I can't see Fid in High House Light...From Jorrude to L'oric to Osric all the people who are Light aspected are obsessed with propriety and certain that they are correct at all times. Malazan soldiers are certain that they are not right and the furthest thing from proper.

#36 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 June 2006 - 03:25 PM

It certainly seems to suggest the Eres... the way she jumps everywhere and has all these plans on the go would fit with 'weaver', for the purposes of the reading/game at least.

I like MO's notion re: Lady Envy. It wouldn't be the first time SE has misdirected us deliberately.

Just to throw everything at the wall, it could also mean, Lostara, because she felt dirty by association with Tene Baralta, and by way of humour, Hellian, who subsequently jumped in the water and swam in looking for a drink.

- Abyss, prefers to shower.

#37 User is offline   GardenGnome 

• Emperor

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:54 PM

Weaver of Life = Mogora? Doesn't Pust say something about how she needs a bath? The title sort of fits, given her powerful healing. Then again, Cotilion seemed surprised at her powers (until he figured she was Ardata's - atleast, that's how I read it), wouldn't he know it if she held a position in the deck?

#38 User is offline   Monoch Ochem 

• First Sword

Posted 07 June 2006 - 04:27 PM

It's the fact that Fiddler follows up by saying noone's surprised that she needs the bath....he didn't say that noone disagrees, just that they're not surprised. The "need" seemed somehow less literal.
"We greet you Jaghut."

#39 User is offline   jonny_anonymous 

• Blind Jester of High House Shadow
  • Interests:Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Comics, Horror, Games, Movies, Reading.

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:31 AM

I think the "Life" in High House Life isn't referring to some mystical life force that births people like the opposite of Hood but instead it means the lives people live. And with the Queen being the goddess of divinations, it isn't so much High House Life but more like High House Fate?
“You make worlds, worlds inside your head and worlds outside,
but only the one inside counts for anything.
It’s where you find peace,
acceptance.
Worth.”

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users