• You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#28101 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 March 2022 - 02:35 PM

Macros, on 18 March 2022 - 07:21 AM, said:

I think I have the whole series lying about somewhere, but book one started soooooo slow I didn't finish as far as I recall. May have to revisit

The first book isn't one of my favorites. (Personal preference: 2 > 4 > 1 > 3 ? 1 and 3 could probably go either way.) It's still good, but it always struck me (it's been over 4 years, so my memories of it are mostly vague) as very episodic and hard to latch onto a single character in a large cast. I feel like the rest of the books all tell smaller, more personable stories with a tighter group of characters. And the best part is, they don't even need to be read in order, or even really regarded as a series, rather just as separate stories in a shared universe. The strongest tie is between the first two books: Book 2 follows two characters on from the end of Book 1, but it starts fresh and tells an entirely different story.

Speaking of Becky Chambers, I am currently reading her sci-fi novella, TO BE TAUGHT, IF FORTUNATE, about a manned scientific expedition to some exoplanets. I've just reached the point where things have started to go... not wrong, but less than ideal. But somehow my brain interpreted it as the beginning of the end, because a couple of my dreams last night involved the book veering straight into horror territory. But it's not actually there yet! We'll see.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#28102 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 March 2022 - 08:53 PM

Peter Clines' latest, THE BROKEN ROOM, is rock solid and worth the time and money. If you enjoyed his other weird sf stuff, The Fold, 14, Terminus, etc, this is squarely there. Just finished and totally enjoyed.

Starts w a familiar premise, kid walks into a bar, finds an ex soldier, tells him she needs help. But... Who sent her? His fellow soldier friend, whose been dead a few years. When did his friend tell her about him? Last week. And yes, he's still dead.

Great low key sf/horror elements, amazingly well written action, two of the best characters Clines has created. And yes, it ties in to his other 14 related stuff, sideways and not essential.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28103 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 22 March 2022 - 08:51 AM

Abyss, on 18 March 2022 - 08:53 PM, said:

Peter Clines' latest, THE BROKEN ROOM, is rock solid and worth the time and money. If you enjoyed his other weird sf stuff, The Fold, 14, Terminus, etc, this is squarely there. Just finished and totally enjoyed.

Starts w a familiar premise, kid walks into a bar, finds an ex soldier, tells him she needs help. But... Who sent her? His fellow soldier friend, whose been dead a few years. When did his friend tell her about him? Last week. And yes, he's still dead.

Great low key sf/horror elements, amazingly well written action, two of the best characters Clines has created. And yes, it ties in to his other 14 related stuff, sideways and not essential.

"This black hole, which we have just discovered, is transmitting a signal that clearly asks - in our language - for the scientist aboard our nearby vessel. Analysis suggests the signal has been transmitting for some seventeen million years."

WHAT WAS WILL BE. WHAT WILL BE, WAS.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#28104 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 March 2022 - 07:04 PM

Maark Abbott, on 22 March 2022 - 08:51 AM, said:

"This black hole, which we have just discovered, is transmitting a signal that clearly asks - in our language - for the scientist aboard our nearby vessel. Analysis suggests the signal has been transmitting for some seventeen million years."

Ref lost me.

#28105 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:38 AM

Abyss, on 22 March 2022 - 07:04 PM, said:

Maark Abbott, on 22 March 2022 - 08:51 AM, said:

Ref lost me.

Stellaris, Horizon Signal questline, where a seemingly innocuous transmission turns into something absolutely eldritch.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#28106 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 March 2022 - 12:36 PM

Reading Will Wight’s SKYSWORN (Cradle #4), and the series is now firing on all pistons. Book 3 amped everything up, but book 4 is really sailing along now. I can see why people binge this series so fast.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28107 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 27 March 2022 - 06:08 PM

LotR
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#28108 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 March 2022 - 03:00 PM

Catching up....

ESCAPE FROM YOKAI LAND - Stross gives an a Laundry Files short, A Bob solo mission to Japan to secure a bunch of demons causing trouble. It's fairly straightforward, Bob is Bob, the supporting cast is very small, a set of Japanese officials from their Laundry equivalent. From a worldbuildling point there's some interesting background to Angleton's time as the Eater if Souls. It's good fun and a nice addition to the series, nothing earthshaking. Earbook narrator is solid.

WHAT ABIGAIL DID THAT SUMMER - This is a novella set in Aaronovich's Peter Grant/Rivers of London series, focused on Peter's 14 yr old cousin Abigail.
It. Is GREAT.
Take all the fun elements of the series, move them around a brilliant 14 yr old who is learning her way but knows enough that she doesn't need to re-explain everything to readers who hve been w the series for years now, move the narrative, story, and action up a notch or two above 'YA'. Aaronovich clearly has a blast writing Abi and her cast and it shows. The pace is fast but well done, the magic is original in places and familiar inothers, and end utterly satisfying. Also, the talking espionage foxes are here and they are so so muh fun. Great story, great addition to the series, totally worth the read.

RIVER OF SILVER - I adored Shannen Chakarabortay's Daevabad trilo, that ended two years ago. The author has been working on an Arabian Seas type pirate story i'm very looking fwd to, but the pandemic messed w her writing time, as it did many, and so she revisited a bunch of short stores and alternate/deleted scenes from the series and rescribbled them into this anthology. It's a total treat for people who enjoyed the trilo. The bits and short stoires are all interesting, and bestest is three epilogues that did not make it into the third book that became near perfect codas for all of the (surviving) main characters. If you enjoyed the series, you pretty much need this.

And now on to Andy Weir's latest, HAIL MARY.

#28109 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 31 March 2022 - 09:01 PM

On book three of C J Sansom's Shardlake series. Friend gve me the first one Dissolution for Christmas.

If you like murder mysteries, worth a read.

If you like Tudor history, worth a read.

If you like both, my goodness these are gold! Posted Image
- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#28110 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 02 April 2022 - 05:52 AM

TheRetiredBridgeburner, on 31 March 2022 - 09:01 PM, said:

On book three of C J Sansom's Shardlake series. Friend gve me the first one Dissolution for Christmas.

An internet friend sent me Dissolution a number of years ago, and it was fantastic! (A few years later, my dad also recommended it to me, lol.) I've picked up like the next 3 or 4 in the series, just haven't gotten around to them yet... (that old refrain)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#28111 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 April 2022 - 09:08 AM

It's April and we're started the next batch of books for the forum Book Club to be read between April 1st and July 1st:

THE PRINCESS BRIDE BY WILLIAM GOLDMAN AKA S. MORGENSTERN'S CLASSIC TALE OF TRUE LOVE AND HIGH ADVENTURE

https://forum.malaza...illiam-goldman/

THE SEVEN DEATHS OF EVELYN HARDCASTLE BY STUART TURTON

https://forum.malaza...-stuart-turton/

Jump in when ever you have time.

#28112 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 05 April 2022 - 08:48 PM

Salt-Man Z, on 02 April 2022 - 05:52 AM, said:

TheRetiredBridgeburner, on 31 March 2022 - 09:01 PM, said:

An internet friend sent me Dissolution a number of years ago, and it was fantastic! (A few years later, my dad also recommended it to me, lol.) I've picked up like the next 3 or 4 in the series, just haven't gotten around to them yet... (that old refrain)

Enjoy when you get there! I just bought number four - all of the first three are very strong, I think book three has been my favourite thus far but they're all narrow margins.
- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#28113 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 April 2022 - 02:47 AM

Just Finished Weir's HAIL MARY.
Great read. Nailed a lot of what made THE MARTIAN work so well. Earth man astronaut is sent on suicide mission to far off solar system to try to save humanity from a solar disaster. When he arrives almost nothing is as planned and he has to improvise to complete his mission. Also, he may have some help.

The pacing is excellent, the few action pieces genuinely tense, the characters genuinely enjoyable. I really. Ant say more without spoiling but if you enjoyed The Martian you'll likely enjoy this.

#28114 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 06 April 2022 - 06:52 PM

Finished Shogun and have started The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton, for the book club. Already gripped :)

Also, Shogun was flipping superb.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28115 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 April 2022 - 02:14 PM

Amongst our Weapons by Ben Aaronovitch, the latest Rivers of London book just dropped.

I'm going to postpone Princess Bride and jump right in.

#28116 User is online   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 07 April 2022 - 02:39 PM

Abyss, on 06 April 2022 - 02:47 AM, said:

Great read. Nailed a lot of what made THE MARTIAN work so well. Earth man astronaut is sent on suicide mission to far off solar system to try to save humanity from a solar disaster. When he arrives almost nothing is as planned and he has to improvise to complete his mission. Also, he may have some help.

The pacing is excellent, the few action pieces genuinely tense, the characters genuinely enjoyable. I really. Ant say more without spoiling but if you enjoyed The Martian you'll likely enjoy this.

Read it a while back and loved it. The audio book is what I am currently listening to for the gym, the narrator is awesome!

Don't view the spoiler if you've not read the book, ruins it...

Spoiler

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#28117 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 07 April 2022 - 04:55 PM

champ, on 07 April 2022 - 02:39 PM, said:

Abyss, on 06 April 2022 - 02:47 AM, said:

Read it a while back and loved it. The audio book is what I am currently listening to for the gym, the narrator is awesome!

Don't view the spoiler if you've not read the book, ruins it...

Spoiler

Heh...

Spoiler

Agreed re the narrator, he does excellent work w this. The way he can go from 'all is well' to 'holyshit i'm gonna die' to 'fuck that i am NOT dying like this' to 'well, that didn't work looks like i'm dying... nah fuck that too let's try something else' was amazing.

#28118 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 07 April 2022 - 05:07 PM

Chance, on 20 November 2019 - 06:35 PM, said:

Abyss, on 20 November 2019 - 03:52 PM, said:

Chance, on 19 November 2019 - 07:41 PM, said:

Finished up Sam Sykes Seven Blades in Black and very much enjoyed it.

I've considered that Sykes series a few times... overall worthwhile?

No clue about Sykes other stuff but Seven Blades in Black is a very solid vengence story with a very entertaining main character. It isn't high art but it is fast paced and action filled. The next book in the series goes onto the purchase when it arrives list which isn't all that common.

Morgoth, on 21 November 2019 - 09:27 AM, said:

You are very much going to enjoy Seven Blades in Black. Sykes might very well have written the story specifically to appeal to your preferences.

33% into the earbook of SEVEN BLADES and you were both very very right w this reco (three years ago), i am enjoying the stabby hell out of this book.

#28119 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 April 2022 - 06:39 PM

Abyss, on 07 April 2022 - 05:07 PM, said:

Chance, on 20 November 2019 - 06:35 PM, said:

Abyss, on 20 November 2019 - 03:52 PM, said:

Chance, on 19 November 2019 - 07:41 PM, said:

Finished up Sam Sykes Seven Blades in Black and very much enjoyed it.

I've considered that Sykes series a few times... overall worthwhile?

No clue about Sykes other stuff but Seven Blades in Black is a very solid vengence story with a very entertaining main character. It isn't high art but it is fast paced and action filled. The next book in the series goes onto the purchase when it arrives list which isn't all that common.

Morgoth, on 21 November 2019 - 09:27 AM, said:

You are very much going to enjoy Seven Blades in Black. Sykes might very well have written the story specifically to appeal to your preferences.

33% into the earbook of SEVEN BLADES and you were both very very right w this reco (three years ago), i am enjoying the stabby hell out of this book.

Sykes is yikes….

https://www.reddit.c...cused_of_doing/
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28120 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 07 April 2022 - 08:23 PM

Man another douche in the genre, shame...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic