• You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#28081 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 March 2022 - 02:17 PM

I forgot the second half of my response:

The Goblin Emperor doesn't become more than what it is by the midpoint. That general vibe of court intrigue plus the main character seeking warmness is what it always brings. I haven't read the related book (not a sequel, as it features different characters) at this point.

I did enjoy Goblin Emperor, but it kinda felt like a "good time" book rather than something more memorable.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28082 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 09 March 2022 - 12:17 AM

View Postamphibian, on 08 March 2022 - 02:17 PM, said:

I forgot the second half of my response:

The Goblin Emperor doesn't become more than what it is by the midpoint. That general vibe of court intrigue plus the main character seeking warmness is what it always brings. I haven't read the related book (not a sequel, as it features different characters) at this point.

I did enjoy Goblin Emperor, but it kinda felt like a "good time" book rather than something more memorable.

View PostDadding, on 08 March 2022 - 07:42 AM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 06 March 2022 - 06:59 PM, said:

I started and am about halfway through Addison's The Goblin Emperor. It's...boring. Does it get any better? Is it just Maia being moved from meeting to meeting with no idea what's going on, like flotsam on the tides, for the entire book? I thought this book was highly reviewed...
Finished it earlier this year and it's probably the worst book I've read since Mistborn. Boring political drama that's not very complex at all, main character is the only enlightened character in a sea of flimsy two-dimensional antagonists, uninspired worldbuilding with no purpose.

I'm glad I wasn't missing something. I'll probably toss this back on the shelf and read it when I've read every other good book out there...

Finishing up the last 1/4th of Jacka's Risen.

#28083 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 09 March 2022 - 10:39 PM

View Postworry, on 06 March 2022 - 04:53 AM, said:

On the personal front -- I finished Piranesi. Pretty good! Wouldn't be on my faves list or anything, but no major complaints.

I actually just started reading this myself a few days ago. It's been enjoyably weird, and I'd been waiting for the proverbial other shoe to drop. It finally did last night when I got to "The Prophet"...
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#28084 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 11 March 2022 - 05:29 AM

Just finished The Library at Mount Char. That was a fantastic read and a bit bonkers at times.

Finished The Red Knight (book one of the Traitor Son Cycle by Miles Cameron) about a week ago. Took me a bit to get into as I'm generally not a huge fan of Arthurian settings, but once I got past that it was a good read as well. Couldn't decide on whether to dive into reading the rest of Max Gladstone's "Craft Sequence" or the Traitor Son, so I picked up the next two books in both.

I tried The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu and really got stuck with it. I found the way tense is used, particularly in descriptions of people, to be really off putting and couldn't get into it. There were other things about the writing style that bugged me too, just can't put my finger on them right now. Might try reading that again another day.

#28085 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 11 March 2022 - 09:18 AM

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 11 March 2022 - 05:29 AM, said:

Just finished The Library at Mount Char. That was a fantastic read and a bit bonkers at times.

A hilariously brutal book, I love it so much!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28086 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 11 March 2022 - 11:05 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 11 March 2022 - 09:18 AM, said:

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 11 March 2022 - 05:29 AM, said:

A hilariously brutal book, I love it so much!

One of my favourite books. Can't believe it's taken nearly 7 years to find a UK publisher

#28087 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 11 March 2022 - 01:22 PM

Since I can't haul RoW hardback around on the transit, and considering AMONGST OUR WEAPONS is dropping in April, I have decided to dive back into the Peter Grant series....and of course I'm behind in the series and I completely forget what happened in FOXGLOVE SUMMER (the last one I read), so I'm re-reading it so I can start catching up and move onto the next three.

Always loved this world, and I think some Urb-Fant is just what the doctor ordered.

Has anyone read the comics? Would be interested if they were any good.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 11 March 2022 - 01:22 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28088 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 March 2022 - 03:30 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 March 2022 - 01:22 PM, said:

I have and they are very good. It helps to have read the novels around when the comics are set though, otherwise you miss a bit.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28089 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 March 2022 - 03:41 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 11 March 2022 - 03:30 PM, said:

I have and they are very good. It helps to have read the novels around when the comics are set though, otherwise you miss a bit.

So finish the novels first and then check out the comics. Cool. Thanks!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28090 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 March 2022 - 06:19 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 March 2022 - 03:41 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 11 March 2022 - 03:30 PM, said:

So finish the novels first and then check out the comics. Cool. Thanks!

I second the comics reco, they're great. Aaronovich writes them himself, the art is always solid, and they are absolutely canon to the story, albeit in a way that adds but doesnt require.

If you're up to FOXGLOVE you can dive right in. None of the comics happen later or spoil later books.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28091 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 March 2022 - 08:10 AM

Reading Escape from Yokai Land by Charles Stross. It's not, as I'd thought, a full length Laundry book but rather a novella about what Bob was up to during his separation from Mo, before the New Management took over.

I was initially a bit miffed I payed 13 dollars for a short story but then I started reading and like always Stross writing is great and I missed Bob Howard.

#28092 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 14 March 2022 - 03:06 AM

Well here goes nothing. I'm starting THE DARKNESS THAT COMES BEFORE. Cue Maark in 3...2...

#28093 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 14 March 2022 - 01:52 PM

View PostJPK, on 14 March 2022 - 03:06 AM, said:

Well here goes nothing. I'm starting THE DARKNESS THAT COMES BEFORE. Cue Maark in 3...2...

Watch out for the maarkness that comes during!

#28094 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 14 March 2022 - 02:51 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 14 March 2022 - 01:52 PM, said:

1 hour in. A new rash has formed. It itches when I look at the fantasy bestseller list and burns a little whenever I look at a Sanderson novel...

#28095 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 16 March 2022 - 07:51 AM

Excellent choice.

:AmeliaNut:

If you know that emote be VERY FUCKING ASHAMED INDEED (I'm not though).

View PostJPK, on 14 March 2022 - 02:51 PM, said:

1 hour in. A new rash has formed. It itches when I look at the fantasy bestseller list and burns a little whenever I look at a Sanderson novel...

Three hours in and you'll become uncontrollably horny when looking at diacritics.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#28096 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 16 March 2022 - 07:38 PM

I'm about 3/4 through Becker Chambers' fourth Wayfarers book, THE GALAXY, AND THE GROUND WITHIN. The story is surprisingly refreshing: a handful of aliens of varying species are stranded at a family-run rest stop when the planet's satellite system goes down. Everyone tries to be the best person they can be to everyone else, and... that's kind of it? There's a tiny bit of drama around "now how will I make it to ___ on time?" and so on, but otherwise it's mostly just all these very different sentient beings getting to know each other and trying to be kind. It's all incredibly wholesome but still quite riveting.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#28097 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 16 March 2022 - 08:22 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 16 March 2022 - 07:38 PM, said:

I'm about 3/4 through Becker Chambers' fourth Wayfarers book, THE GALAXY, AND THE GROUND WITHIN. The story is surprisingly refreshing: a handful of aliens of varying species are stranded at a family-run rest stop when the planet's satellite system goes down. Everyone tries to be the best person they can be to everyone else, and... that's kind of it? There's a tiny bit of drama around "now how will I make it to ___ on time?" and so on, but otherwise it's mostly just all these very different sentient beings getting to know each other and trying to be kind. It's all incredibly wholesome but still quite riveting.

I have all 4 of these books, really looking forward to reading them.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28098 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 March 2022 - 12:23 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 16 March 2022 - 08:22 PM, said:

I can only vouch for the first one, but I enjoyed it for EXACTLY the reasons Salt Man says. It's WILDY wholesome stuff. Slice of Life Space stuff. I'm definitely going to be reading the rest of them for that reason.

----------

On my end, I've finished FOXGLOVE SUMMER (really enjoyed seeing Peter largely on his own in the country solving the situation, with Nightingale at only arms length for advice and help). Will roll onto THE HANGING TREE after my next read.

Properly started THE SCARLET TIDES by David Hair (Moontide Quartet #2), and holy hell it's good. The first book had a LOT of table setting, so it had a slow first half and a much more rollicking second half...but with that table setting out of the way, Book 2 gets right into the good stuff and I'm already glued to the page. Not sure why this series doesn't get more play, it's really enjoyable.

#28099 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 17 March 2022 - 12:49 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 March 2022 - 12:23 PM, said:

I can only vouch for the first one, but I enjoyed it for EXACTLY the reasons Salt Man says. It's WILDY wholesome stuff. Slice of Life Space stuff. I'm definitely going to be reading the rest of them for that reason.

It was TRB who originally recommended them and I've wanted to read for a while.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28100 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 18 March 2022 - 07:21 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 March 2022 - 12:23 PM, said:

----------

On my end, I've finished FOXGLOVE SUMMER (really enjoyed seeing Peter largely on his own in the country solving the situation, with Nightingale at only arms length for advice and help). Will roll onto THE HANGING TREE after my next read.

Properly started THE SCARLET TIDES by David Hair (Moontide Quartet #2), and holy hell it's good. The first book had a LOT of table setting, so it had a slow first half and a much more rollicking second half...but with that table setting out of the way, Book 2 gets right into the good stuff and I'm already glued to the page. Not sure why this series doesn't get more play, it's really enjoyable.

I think I have the whole series lying about somewhere, but book one started soooooo slow I didn't finish as far as I recall. May have to revisit

Share this topic:

• 1472 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users