• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#27341 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:17 AM

Finished up Prey if the Gods last night

Interesting, for me it was far stronger in the early and mid, I felt almost let down by the convergence of events at the end. Still a solid book

#27342 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 May 2021 - 06:04 AM

Just Finished the latest Murderbot Diary: FUGITIVE TELEMETRY.

It's great, possibly the bestest yet. Wells is really hitting a new level w this series. Tight, fast read. Characters so on point it's beautiful, Murderbot's POV at once more scathing and more human/confused than ever..
As usual, low action but such a treat when it hits. And Murderbot investigating a murder is just fun.

If you've started this series and like it, there is more goodness for you here. If you have not started this series the fuck is wrong with you?

Tor just announced Wells has contracted for three more Murderbots and iirc a fantasy trilo. YAY!

...on to Golgotha 4 GHOST DANCE JUDGMENT.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27343 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 May 2021 - 06:08 AM

View PostMacros, on 05 May 2021 - 08:17 AM, said:

Finished up Prey if the Gods last night

Interesting, for me it was far stronger in the early and mid, I felt almost let down by the convergence of events at the end. Still a solid book

I could almost agree with you re the end except that if she had gone for the more obvious ending...

Spoiler

...i think i would have felt let down by how trite that would have been given everything that led there.

But glad you tried it and liked.

#27344 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 06 May 2021 - 06:23 AM

I think I was the first person here to read Murderbot and then never read any more.

Not sure why.

Wells is the goods though. I'm mad that her 'fall of Illie-Ren' trilogy isn't available in epub form since the first two, more standalone, books in that broader series are superb. I'm glad to see her get her flowers with the success of Murderbot coz she was chronically underdiscussed before.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#27345 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 May 2021 - 06:29 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 06 May 2021 - 06:23 AM, said:

I think I was the first person here to read Murderbot and then never read any more.

Not sure why.

Wells is the goods though. I'm mad that her 'fall of Illie-Ren' trilogy isn't available in epub form since the first two, more standalone, books in that broader series are superb. I'm glad to see her get her flowers with the success of Murderbot coz she was chronically underdiscussed before.

I also read murderbot, enjoyed it but never felt like picking up the rest of the series.

#27346 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 06 May 2021 - 07:41 AM

More Greg Licanius moments:

Arcane David. ARCANE DAVID. Can't unsee it now can I.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27347 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:07 AM

View PostAbyss, on 06 May 2021 - 06:04 AM, said:

Just Finished the latest Murderbot Diary: FUGITIVE TELEMETRY.

It's great, possibly the bestest yet. Wells is really hitting a new level w this series. Tight, fast read. Characters so on point it's beautiful, Murderbot's POV at once more scathing and more human/confused than ever..
As usual, low action but such a treat when it hits. And Murderbot investigating a murder is just fun.

If you've started this series and like it, there is more goodness for you here. If you have not started this series the fuck is wrong with you?

Tor just announced Wells has contracted for three more Murderbots and iirc a fantasy trilo. YAY!

I disagree that it's the best yet. Like I've mentioned with the other books I don't think there's a lot of progress or depth to the stories about Murderbot past the initial setup. After the first few stories, the series settles into a formula of Murderbot discovers a probem, Murderbot solves problem and time goes on.

The stories feel episodic and there's little variation on the theme. It's like MacGyver. Only instead of MacGyver getting out of situation with a stick of gum and a paperclip, Murderbot kicks all the ass and then goes back to watching space soap opera.

The stories are good but I don't think they're particularly ambitious. What makes the books good are Murderbot and people interacting with it, not the actual plot or narrative.

#27348 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:57 AM

View PostAptorian, on 06 May 2021 - 08:07 AM, said:

I disagree that it's the best yet.

Interesting because generally the only people who think that are communists who are cold and dead inside.

Like I've mentioned with the other books I don't think there's a lot of progress or depth to the stories about Murderbot past the initial setup. After the first few stories, the series settles into a formula of Murderbot discovers a probem, Murderbot solves problem and time goes on.

I would agree with that for some of the books but definitely not all.

Murderbot made a few important changes this book...

Spoiler

The stories feel episodic and there's little variation on the theme. It's like MacGyver. Only instead of MacGyver getting out of situation with a stick of gum and a paperclip, Murderbot kicks all the ass and then goes back to watching space soap opera.

Disagree. A couple of them are like that, but here
Spoiler

Also, Murderbot's paperclips are way cooler.

The stories are good but I don't think they're particularly ambitious.

What makes the books good are Murderbot and people interacting with it, not the actual plot or narrative.

I'd argue that Murderbot's evolution, becoming, not more human, but more a thing that is capable of interacting with humans, is a huge part of the books and is not static.
Ambitious... fair enough, it's fairly light sf, but short novels that do feel complete but don't feel rushed are an art. Yes that was a play on words.

(also i would argue you should go back ta Russia)

#27349 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 May 2021 - 03:59 AM

I'm guessing this is from back when we had a no or less swearing ruleset in some parts of the the forum. The Elder Mods were cruel but very polite.

#27350 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 07 May 2021 - 04:54 AM

I've now started Ack-Ack Macaque. Damn you Abyss.

#27351 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 07 May 2021 - 07:52 AM

Arcane David is here and he be ballin'

#27352 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 07 May 2021 - 05:04 PM

Read a Long Way to a Small Angry Planet. I liked the slice of life aspect but the overall story/world did not impress me and I feel little desire to go back and read the rest of the series.

Also tried to read the Ninefox Gambit and while the world building is mildly interesting, I can't say I'm that engaged with the story or concerned with the characters about 50% in so I don't think I will continue reading.

Now looking for something else to read to fill my time until I have to be an adult and start actually working :(
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#27353 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 May 2021 - 03:59 AM

Finally finished The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue. Interesting premise, but something about it didn't click with me. Congrats to those for whom it did!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#27354 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 May 2021 - 06:00 AM

View Postworry, on 08 May 2021 - 03:59 AM, said:

Finally finished The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue. Interesting premise, but something about it didn't click with me. Congrats to those for whom it did!

It's ok to be wrong... ;)

Any idea what, more specifically, didn't click?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27355 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 May 2021 - 06:43 AM

Hard to pinpoint why it didn't work for me big picture, and I wouldn't wanna nitpick the little things in something you and others already expressed such enthusiasm for. I can say it made me think about its premise even when I wasn't reading it, but at the same time I was rarely strongly invested in these specific characters going through it, for whatever reason. Just a different strokes thing on this one, I think. Maybe next time!

#27356 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 10 May 2021 - 11:47 AM

Finished Licc Anus 1.

Remember the scene in Pulp Fiction where Marcellus is crossing the road and sees Butch? Yeah, that. Very much that.

Next is Ian Irvine.

#27357 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 11 May 2021 - 01:45 AM

View Postworry, on 08 May 2021 - 06:43 AM, said:

Hard to pinpoint why i am so wrong on the inside and out that it didn't work for me big wrong picture, and I wouldn't wanna wrongpick the little things in something you and others already expressed such enthusiasm for and i am wrong and afraid in my wrongousity. I can wrongsay it made me think wrongly about its premise even when I wasn't reading it, which was wrong, but at the same wrong time I was rarely strongly invested in these specific characters going through it, for whatever wrong reason of wrongness. Just a different wrongstrokes in the big bowl of wrongsauce thing on this one, I wrongthink. Maybe next time i will be less wrong than the seething mass of wrongness that currently occupies what little space in my head is not filled with wrong!

Your opinion, you're totally entitled to it.

#27358 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 May 2021 - 02:40 AM

If being wrong is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

#27359 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 11 May 2021 - 03:49 AM

I read a bunch of VE Schwab books and more and more I found that she's a mood/style writer. If I dig or you dig the mood, the somewhat flat characters and the story holes get overlooked (which is true for most writers). If not, it falls apart pretty fast.

Obviously it's working on a macro scale, due to her continued success. But I just couldn't continue on with the book after This Savage Song. The concepts felt undercooked and the incredibly contrived drama with Mark Lawrence just killed the authorial good will I had.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27360 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 May 2021 - 04:20 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 10 May 2021 - 11:47 AM, said:

Finished Licc Anus 1.

Remember the scene in Pulp Fiction where Marcellus is crossing the road and sees Butch? Yeah, that. Very much that.

Next is Ian Irvine.

1 was enjoyable but I liked 2 and 3 much better---definitely more interesting. Reminded me of an MIT philosophy/math mooc:

As someone mentioned before it becomes a very different series....

Finished book 2 of Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne. Had lower expectations for this one and (partly as a consequence) enjoyed it more. Plot makes it a bit of a page turner (or whatever the audiobook equivalent is), though characters who are supposed to be smart and savvy conveniently fail to notice certain obvious things. And a few plot points could have had more justification or build up. World building is more extensive than in book 1. I like that it's a polytheistic world. Also, more high fantasy in this one. First book had almost no humor, this has a little bit. Writing is occasionally poetic, but only rarely. Decent character development. Set up for book 3 is interesting.

Share this topic:

• 1478 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

10 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users