• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#27321 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 April 2021 - 11:59 AM

Finished EXILE'S HONOR by Lackey. It was solid. I mean, you kind of already have an idea where everything is going as it is a prequel, but it was nice to read about Alberich's early days anyway.

Started THE REALITY DISFUNCTION by Hamilton. I LOVED SONNIE'S EDGE in the LOVE, DEATH, and ROBOTS season 1 on Netflix, and I know that was the first story set in the NIGHT'S DAWN universe, so I'm taking a stab at the main series. Wish me luck, this book is dense.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27322 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 April 2021 - 05:00 PM

I seem to remember you not liking Hamilton, QT? I thought you read Night's Dawn before or was that someone else?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27323 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 April 2021 - 05:25 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 30 April 2021 - 05:00 PM, said:

I seem to remember you not liking Hamilton, QT? I thought you read Night's Dawn before or was that someone else?

You're right!

After posting this I realized I had tried it before and didn't like it...and have forgotten.

feck. My brain is scrambled.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27324 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 30 April 2021 - 05:28 PM

Started The Violent Century after my Spiral Wars re-read, it seems to be rather awesome so far.

This post has been edited by Chance: 30 April 2021 - 05:28 PM

#27325 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 30 April 2021 - 05:47 PM

Last night I finally finished Caitlin R. Kiernan's Dear Sweet Filthy World collection of short stories, read over the course of 2 years (though I just read the last 40% in 5 days.) Beautifully written stuff, dark and gothic, but also often highly disturbing. Recommended, but definitely not for everyone!
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#27326 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:56 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 April 2021 - 05:25 PM, said:

You're right!

After posting this I realized I had tried it before and didn't like it...and have forgotten.

Ach, shame, he's one of my favourites but I think if you were going in looking to find more about Sonnie's Edge you might have been disappointed.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27327 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 April 2021 - 09:39 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 30 April 2021 - 07:56 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 April 2021 - 05:25 PM, said:

You're right!

Ach, shame, he's one of my favourites but I think if you were going in looking to find more about Sonnie's Edge you might have been disappointed.

I have the Commonwealth books, so maybe I’ll try those again one day.

#27328 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 01 May 2021 - 08:44 AM

Just started Ask Iwata: Words of Wisdom from Satoru Iwata, Nintendo's Legendary CEO. On your TBR pile?

#27329 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 May 2021 - 11:54 AM

Finished CharmCaster last night, book three of Sebastian De Castels Shadow black series.

Still fun, not as good as his great coats book, but fun.

Dark enough that it shakes off any YA look it had early book one

#27330 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 May 2021 - 08:31 PM

Been listening to The Unhewn Throne... mainly because I like the title. Main text is rarely as poetic, except in a few parts. Bit underwhelming overall so far (I'm almost finished the first book in the series), but okay. Performer's theatrical East Asian accents seem pretty bad (like old timey yellowface stuff that doesn't sound much like actual East Asian accents I've heard), which doesn't help. Does generate interest and anticipation by withholding information from certain characters, though their conveniently naive or foolish choices sometimes strain credulity.

Title implies Daoist influence, but the monasticism seems to be very loosely modeled on Tibetan Buddhism (emptiness is a key concept in both, but they're very different, and there was a long history of major (and sometimes violent) conflict between Daoism and Tibetan Buddhism in China).

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 02 May 2021 - 08:50 PM

#27331 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:27 PM

Reading LEGION OF FLAME by Anthony Ryan, I really really loved THE WAKING FIRE, and this one is already amping to be even more entertaining. Just a really cool concept series, with touches of steampunk, but not overwhelmingly so (I'm put off by extreme steampunk) while still being largely fantasy. Throw in a fantasy Alan Quartermain element, and this trilogy sings.

#27332 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:38 PM

I read up until the latest issue of Immortal Hulk on Marvel Universe. That's a clever subscription plan. If the "free" issues are always 3 months behind it's veeery tempting to buy the latest issue at full price. Because damn that series is getting crazy.

Immortal Hulk went from a bit creepy and bloody to straight up Japanese body horror by the latest issues. I think the supporting cast are under selling how horrifying some of the stuff that happens to the gamma mutates is.

Very curious to see where they go with the green door and The One Below All. I get the impression the series might be moving towards a big marvel event after the King in Black event wraps up.

King in Black is probably going to be the next stuff I jump into.

#27333 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:26 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 May 2021 - 03:27 PM, said:

Reading LEGION OF FLAME by Anthony Ryan, I really really loved THE WAKING FIRE, and this one is already amping to be even more entertaining. Just a really cool concept series, with touches of steampunk, but not overwhelmingly so (I'm put off by extreme steampunk) while still being largely fantasy. Throw in a fantasy Alan Quartermain element, and this trilogy sings.

Those books get better as the series goes along, you've got some awesome scenes ahead.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#27334 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 May 2021 - 01:38 AM

View Postchamp, on 03 May 2021 - 08:26 PM, said:

Reading LEGION OF FLAME by Anthony Ryan...more entertaining...touches of steampunk... largely fantasy... fantasy Alan Quartermain element...

Those books get better as the series goes along, you've got some awesome scenes ahead.

SOLD
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27335 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:45 AM

I've read 5/6 Murderbot diaries since yesterday.

I feel a disturbing level of kinship towards Murderbot.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#27336 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:47 AM

I love that autistic killing machine.

#27337 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:07 AM

View PostAptorian, on 04 May 2021 - 06:47 AM, said:

I love that autistic killing machine.

It's a fucking sweatheart. Don't you dare call it a killing machine, that's just so ... reductive.

Edit: Also Murderbot is obviously a cutie, but I believe I have never fallen in love with a character as fast as I did with Miki.

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 04 May 2021 - 07:09 AM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#27338 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 04 May 2021 - 12:09 PM

I didn't care for Miki. That robot was way too infantile.

But ART now that relationship is fun. The notion of comforting a powerful AI because it gets scared when it watches TV is sweet.

#27339 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 May 2021 - 01:09 PM

Awesome!

View PostAbyss, on 04 May 2021 - 01:38 AM, said:

Reading LEGION OF FLAME by Anthony Ryan...more entertaining...touches of steampunk... largely fantasy... fantasy Alan Quartermain element...

SOLD

And it's got your favourite thing man...it's a completed trilogy.

#27340 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:57 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 May 2021 - 01:09 PM, said:

Awesome!

View PostAbyss, on 04 May 2021 - 01:38 AM, said:

SOLD

And it's got your favourite thing man...it's a completed trilogy.

RESOLD

I enjoyed Ryan's RAVEN'S SHADOW trilo... am overdue to read more by him.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users