• You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#27161 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 March 2021 - 01:23 PM

View PostChance, on 13 March 2021 - 04:08 PM, said:

Finished up Blood Heir by Ilona Andrews which just as much fun as these books usually are. Might not be the best author ever but these books are certainly some of the most entertaining urban fantasy around....

I read some of the early chapters online when they were working on it, am looking fwd to ear booking.

View PostAptorian, on 14 March 2021 - 10:29 AM, said:

I really should get back to Andrews' Kate Daniels series. I think I got sidetracked after book 2 or 3.

Next up I'll finally read Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins. I think I've seen most of you people recommending it.

The Kateamine is totally worth your time and eyes and money. It just steadily gets better and better to a great big earth shattering kaboom.

As for Mount Char...

View PostMacros, on 14 March 2021 - 11:32 AM, said:

Curious to see what you make of Mount Char

I'm guessing pork chops. Possibly nachos.

...it's a brilliant book, enjoy!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27162 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 March 2021 - 01:29 PM

I'm 30 pages into Mount Char and curious is certainly one word to describe the book so far.

#27163 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 March 2021 - 02:04 PM

Finished CITY OF NIGHT by Michelle West (House War Book 2) and it was WONDERFUL. I hazard to say this is the most complex and enthralling series (often a slow burn though) I’ve read since Malazan. The first book gave me some issues and I had to work to get through some of it...but I nearly sailed through Book 2.

Started Book 3 HOUSE NAME, after which I’ll take a break with anothe book series before reading the SACRED HUNT duology...but this is definitely the next big series I’ll be concentrating on finishing for sure.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 14 March 2021 - 02:05 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27164 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 14 March 2021 - 02:33 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 March 2021 - 02:04 PM, said:

Finished CITY OF NIGHT by Michelle West (House War Book 2) and it was WONDERFUL. I hazard to say this is the most complex and enthralling series (often a slow burn though) I’ve read since Malazan. The first book gave me some issues and I had to work to get through some of it...but I nearly sailed through Book 2.

Started Book 3 HOUSE NAME, after which I’ll take a break with anothe book series before reading the SACRED HUNT duology...but this is definitely the next big series I’ll be concentrating on finishing for sure.

Hmm interesting. There've been series recently that for me at least fall into the same intensity and, somewhat, complexity of concept (though not sheer size) as Malazan but it'll be nice to try out one that's a good old fashioned epic fantasy. Is Sacred Hunt something within the House War series that one should read in between, or separate and you're just taking a break, seeing that House War is an eight book series?
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#27165 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 March 2021 - 03:50 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 14 March 2021 - 02:33 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 March 2021 - 02:04 PM, said:

Finished CITY OF NIGHT by Michelle West (House War Book 2) and it was WONDERFUL. I hazard to say this is the most complex and enthralling series (often a slow burn though) I've read since Malazan. The first book gave me some issues and I had to work to get through some of it...but I nearly sailed through Book 2.

Started Book 3 HOUSE NAME, after which I'll take a break with anothe book series before reading the SACRED HUNT duology...but this is definitely the next big series I'll be concentrating on finishing for sure.

Hmm interesting. There've been series recently that for me at least fall into the same intensity and, somewhat, complexity of concept (though not sheer size) as Malazan but it'll be nice to try out one that's a good old fashioned epic fantasy. Is Sacred Hunt something within the House War series that one should read in between, or separate and you're just taking a break, seeing that House War is an eight book series?

'the first three books of The House War precede or take place concurrently with all of the other books. So the following reading order is constructed with an eye towards minimizing spoilers and readerly whiplash due to jumping back and forth between books published in the mid-1990s and the end of the 2010s. West’s style has evolved markedly over the course of the series, becoming a more effective version of itself, and the difference is particularly noticeable between the first two books and all the others. [...]

Start here – The House War, Part One
The Hidden City (2008)
City of Night (2009)
House Name (2011)

The first three books of The House War introduce Jewel, her den, the Empire, and the central conflict of the whole story: the fight against Allasakar, the Lord of the Hells, who wants to return to the mortal plane and, well, devour all souls forever.

Skip back – The Sacred Hunt
Hunter’s Oath (1995)
Hunter’s Death (1996)

Here is the first crux in the question of reading order: The Sacred Hunt, specifically Hunter’s Death, spoils House Name and vice
versa. Why am I suggesting you read the books published later first? West herself recommends staring with The Hidden City, and having read the books partly out of order myself, I think The Sacred Hunt is taken better when you’re already grounded in the larger story. The bind-up edition is now the more common[...]

Move forward – The Sun Sword
The Broken Crown (1997)
The Uncrowned King (1998)
The Shining Court (1999)
Sea of Sorrows (2001)
The Riven Shield (2003)
The Sun Sword (2004)
[...] certain references in The Sun Sword made a lot more sense once I’d tracked down Hunter’s Death and then Hunter’s Oath. Jewel is a secondary protagonist in these books, which detail the attempt by demons to suborn the Empire’s perennial foe, the Dominion of Annagar.

Catch up – The House War, Part Two
Skirmish (2012)
Battle (2013)
Oracle (2015)
Firstborn (2019)
War (2019)'

https://electrapritc...-reading-order/

#27166 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 14 March 2021 - 04:02 PM

How magnificently bizarre.

Cheers.

#27167 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 March 2021 - 04:37 PM

Forgot to mention: 'West has already sold the first four books in the final series in the universe (currently titled The Burning Crown), but the absolute earliest we could expect to see the first one would be 2021.'

https://electrapritc...-reading-order/

'now called The Burning Crown, but which I've called The End of Days arc for decades'

https://michellesaga...-burning-crown/

#27168 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 March 2021 - 04:42 PM

Yep, that’s the reading order I’m following. I just got the entire Sun Sword portion (all 6 books) used last week for $25 all told. And the Sacred Hunt duology is easier to find in the more recent omnibus volume than separately.

Edit: And as Azath pointed out above, she’s got an ending in mind and is writing it. So no lingering GRRM/Rothfuss stuff here

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 14 March 2021 - 04:43 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27169 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 March 2021 - 04:46 PM

Look, you people! You can't just start talking about another 20 book series like this? How am I supposed to find the money and time?

#27170 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 March 2021 - 05:19 PM

I agree with the Swedish wheelchair thief

#27171 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 15 March 2021 - 03:51 AM

Meh, it's only money and time and data storage and what were we talking about?

#27172 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 March 2021 - 06:48 AM

138 pages into Library at Mount Char.

Carolyn just had a talk with the president. The amount of scary knowledge crammed into two pages is fun. This is an awesome book. I love it.

I've noticed something though about the writing. Have you guys noticed that there are certain books, I want to say it's mainly thrillers and suspense stories by American authors that have a certain style, that immediately pops out at you? It's something about the characters and the way the story describes their lives. I've never been able to put a finger on it but I recognize it immediately.

Edit: It might actually also be something about fonts and the way some hardback books are printed that triggers this feeling. Not sure.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 15 March 2021 - 07:05 AM

#27173 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 15 March 2021 - 07:09 AM

View PostAptorian, on 15 March 2021 - 06:48 AM, said:

One of the most awesome books of recent years. I really should do a re-read one of these days.

#27174 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 March 2021 - 07:16 AM

View PostChance, on 15 March 2021 - 07:09 AM, said:

One of the most awesome books of recent years. I really should do a re-read one of these days.

Agreed, I still find it bizarre that this book doesn't have a UK publisher, I'd never have heard of it if it wasn't for people on this forum consistently saying how great it was.

#27175 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 15 March 2021 - 10:59 AM

View PostChance, on 15 March 2021 - 07:09 AM, said:

Yes you should, considering how relatively short it is there is a lot packed in there and when I did a reread there was a ton I'd forgotten!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27176 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 March 2021 - 01:10 PM

Oh man, Erwin, the Homeland Security guy's debriefing with the President's team is fantastic. How he made it that far in the army without being kicked out is a wonder.

#27177 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 15 March 2021 - 07:49 PM

Been re-reading Ada Palmer's Terra Ignota series in early preparation for the June release of the final volume. So weird and so good. There's so many 'what the fuuuuuck what happens now' moments based on scenarios where at the start of the series you wouldn't even have realised it was a thing to be concerned about- it does such a good job of introducing the seemingly-familiar, actually almost-alien character concerns and politics as the series goes on.

#27178 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 March 2021 - 08:51 PM

Finished Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins.

Great book probably the best book I've read in years. I didn't quite agree with the direction the story took for the last hundred pages but it made sense in the end.

I'd really like a sequel but checking out Hawkins website, that's unlikely to ever happen. Probably for the best.

Spoiler

Onwards to the third Gaunt's Ghosts Omnibus by Dan Abnett.

#27179 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 March 2021 - 01:47 AM

Carolyn just had a talk with the president. The amount of scary knowledge crammed into two pages is fun. This is an awesome book. I love it.

I've noticed something though about the writing. Have you guys noticed that there are certain books, I want to say it's mainly thrillers and suspense stories by American authors that have a certain style, that immediately pops out at you? It's something about the characters and the way the story describes their lives. I've never been able to put a finger on it but I recognize it immediately.

Edit: It might actually also be something about fonts and the way some hardback books are printed that triggers this feeling. Not sure.

At a guess, North American authors of a certain age range share certain influences... books, tv, film... that lends a common 'flavor' you might find in similar books.

View PostAptorian, on 15 March 2021 - 08:51 PM, said:

Finished Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins.

Great book probably the best book I've read in years. I didn't quite agree with the direction the story took for the last hundred pages but it made sense in the end.

I'd really like a sequel but checking out Hawkins website, that's unlikely to ever happen. Probably for the best.

Spoiler

Glad you enjoyed. I pretty much reread the book as soon as finished it.
I can totally live without a sequel. Some books should just stand alone and complete.

...not that i would complain or something....

#27180 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 March 2021 - 04:02 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 March 2021 - 05:07 PM, said:

Just Finished R S Belcher's SIX GUN TAROT and liked it so much I went straight into the sequel SHOTGUN ARCANA.
Great series so far, old west urban fantasy, and the earbooks are done with full voice casts, fx, and music. It's pretty great.
Both are part of what was labelled THE GOLGOTHA TRILOGY. I suspect I'll follow ARCANA with bk 3.

Just finished SHOTGUN ARCANA.
It was excellent. Raised the stakes, built up the world, expanded the cast, took the old cast in new directions... everything you want from book 2 in a fantasy series. Also 30 or so insane serial killers, pirate-ninjas, gunfights, Indigenous American mythos, renegade angels, and a killer earbook cast and production.
Straight on to book 3 QUEEN OF SWORDS.

ETA I did not know there was a book 4... GHOST DANCE JUDGMENT. Earbook due in April apparently!

Share this topic:

• 1479 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

89 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 89 guests, 0 anonymous users