• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#27201 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 22 March 2021 - 10:04 PM

Ketty Jay and Golgotha are despite being very different in premise birds of a similar feather in their wholehearted dedication to fun.

Just re-read the first Golgotha book in prep for reading the third. Should re-read Ketty Jay sometime too.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#27202 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 March 2021 - 11:27 PM

Finished THE INVISIBLE LIFE OF ADDIE LARUE and that has to be one of the most engaging books I've read in such a long time. Just an absolute wonder from start to finish.

I'll be honest, for all I love Claire North, I preferred this one to HOPE. They really aren't that similar beyond the core concept so perhaps it can be an unfair comparison but it is going to be inevitable.

Anyway, flipping read it, it's wonderful.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27203 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 March 2021 - 01:17 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 22 March 2021 - 05:27 PM, said:

In Cradle news, book 9 was just announced with a release date of April 6. Yeah, he was supposed to be taking a sabbatical.

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 March 2021 - 05:39 PM, said:

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 22 March 2021 - 05:27 PM, said:

In Cradle news, book 9 was just announced with a release date of April 6. Yeah, he was supposed to be taking a sabbatical.

Saw this. Cool news!

That said, it should be noted that the odds he wrote Book 9 while on the most recent sabbatical and it's still going out April 6th, audiobook and all...are slim. This was likely done before the sabbatical. :)

This isn't to say he didn't spend some Sabbatical writing Book 10...LOL! The guy is a machine.

For anyone who wants to, the Pre-Order is up for this volume at Amazon and Audible. I'm only on book 1 myself, but I did it since this dude has given me now 16 books for free/$1 in amazon sales, and it was only $8.75 in Canada.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27204 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 March 2021 - 03:24 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 March 2021 - 04:36 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 20 March 2021 - 01:36 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 19 March 2021 - 02:54 AM, said:

Book 3 is moving along nicely. Leaves Golgotha with some of the cast and goes into the wider world, with a flashback parallel story i'm loving....

Y'know that feeling when you read a fight scene so utterly breathtaking that you immediately need to read (listen to) it again? Not a battle, but a genuine one on one fight to the death between two utterly competent killers? That goes for pages (minutes) but feels like seconds?
Well... that. About 1/3rd into the book and holy fncking fuckstars... that was just... wow.
I mean, i know Belcher can write a solid fight scene, but this was just... this was end of TOLL THE HOUNDS level.

...and then he goes and does it with a battle.

Holy. FUCK.
HOLY FUCKING STABBYFUCK.

...that was just...

...it wasn't even (i think) a key plot point in the story, it was like one minute the characters are in a more or less
classic fantasy puzzle solving thing where the only way they can survive is to
decipher the HOLY FUCK EVERYONE IS FIGHTING SO SO MUCH AWESOME
FIGHTING DID THAT CHARACTER JUST DO THAT,
DID THOSE TWO JUST DO THAT
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH.

Wow.

What's also amazing is that there two parallel (but very much related) stories running here and the author is doing a great job of allowing for quieter beats in one while the other goes blazing apeshite crazy.

I was prepared for bk 3 to be a nice little sidequest from the main story from bks 1 and 2 and instead it's raising the bar.

And then he did it AGAIN.
...possibly twice.

This book just exceeded 1 and 2 in sheer greatness of action scenes and possibly overall story. I'm even blown away by some of the emotional beats.
Also, one, possibly two of the characters are carrying around a massive massive
'i am extremely likely to die violently and horribly in a moment of heroic self sacrifice and it is going to absolutely ruin you gentle reader'

signs and it is BRUTAL.

View Postpolishgenius, on 22 March 2021 - 10:04 PM, said:

Ketty Jay and Golgotha are despite being very different in premise birds of a similar feather in their wholehearted dedication to fun.

Just re-read the first Golgotha book in prep for reading the third. Should re-read Ketty Jay sometime too.

Agreed.
The level of fun is pretty great. 1 and 2 have some genuinely brilliant funny characters - one in particular is darkly genius - 3 is a bit less, the leaner cast has less opportunity to bounce off each other, but honestly the change in tone isn't affecting the book at all. And the earbooks cast are brilliant at delivery.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27205 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 March 2021 - 03:25 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 22 March 2021 - 11:27 PM, said:

Finished THE INVISIBLE LIFE OF ADDIE LARUE and that has to be one of the most engaging books I've read in such a long time. Just an absolute wonder from start to finish.

I'll be honest, for all I love Claire North, I preferred this one to HOPE. They really aren't that similar beyond the core concept so perhaps it can be an unfair comparison but it is going to be inevitable.

^ the correct take.

#27206 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 March 2021 - 03:47 PM

View PostAbyss, on 23 March 2021 - 03:25 PM, said:

^ the correct take.

Goddamn it people, I'm trying to NOT increase my TBR's!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27207 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 March 2021 - 03:53 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 March 2021 - 03:47 PM, said:

^ the correct take.

If i have to suffer EVERYBODY has to suffer.

#27208 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 March 2021 - 08:15 AM

View PostAbyss, on 23 March 2021 - 03:53 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 March 2021 - 03:47 PM, said:

^ the correct take.

If i have to suffer EVERYBODY has to suffer.

That's the spirit!
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27209 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 March 2021 - 01:20 PM

UNSOULED done. It was good. There's a tantalizing look at the broader world, which is then bit I liked best. It also ramps up in the second half a lot. It's a bit Anime-like and that's also fine. It's short, pulpy, action-oriented progression fantasy. Will definitely keep reading there series, and it feels like with their length and style they will make good palate cleansers from longer, denser fantasy.

#27210 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 March 2021 - 02:46 PM

View PostAbyss, on 23 March 2021 - 03:24 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 21 March 2021 - 04:36 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 20 March 2021 - 01:36 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 19 March 2021 - 02:54 AM, said:

Book 3 is moving along nicely. Leaves Golgotha with some of the cast and goes into the wider world, with a flashback parallel story i'm loving....

Y'know that feeling when you read a fight scene so utterly breathtaking that you immediately need to read (listen to) it again? Not a battle, but a genuine one on one fight to the death between two utterly competent killers? That goes for pages (minutes) but feels like seconds?
Well... that. About 1/3rd into the book and holy fncking fuckstars... that was just... wow.
I mean, i know Belcher can write a solid fight scene, but this was just... this was end of TOLL THE HOUNDS level.

...and then he goes and does it with a battle.

Holy. FUCK.
HOLY FUCKING STABBYFUCK.

...that was just...

...it wasn't even (i think) a key plot point in the story, it was like one minute the characters are in a more or less
classic fantasy puzzle solving thing where the only way they can survive is to
decipher the HOLY FUCK EVERYONE IS FIGHTING SO SO MUCH AWESOME
FIGHTING DID THAT CHARACTER JUST DO THAT,
DID THOSE TWO JUST DO THAT
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH.

Wow.

What's also amazing is that there two parallel (but very much related) stories running here and the author is doing a great job of allowing for quieter beats in one while the other goes blazing apeshite crazy.

I was prepared for bk 3 to be a nice little sidequest from the main story from bks 1 and 2 and instead it's raising the bar.

And then he did it AGAIN.
...possibly twice.

This book just exceeded 1 and 2 in sheer greatness of action scenes and possibly overall story. I'm even blown away by some of the emotional beats.
Also, one, possibly two of the characters are carrying around a massive massive
'i am extremely likely to die violently and horribly in a moment of heroic self sacrifice and it is going to absolutely ruin you gentle reader'

signs and it is BRUTAL.

View Postpolishgenius, on 22 March 2021 - 10:04 PM, said:

Agreed.
The level of fun is pretty great. 1 and 2 have some genuinely brilliant funny characters - one in particular is darkly genius - 3 is a bit less, the leaner cast has less opportunity to bounce off each other, but honestly the change in tone isn't affecting the book at all. And the earbooks cast are brilliant at delivery.

...and OH MY GODS THAT FINALE DID I JUST READ/HEAR THAT?

TWICE????

...scuse me I better listen to it again just to be sure....

#27211 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 24 March 2021 - 03:16 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 March 2021 - 01:20 PM, said:

UNSOULED done. It was good. There's a tantalizing look at the broader world, which is then bit I liked best. It also ramps up in the second half a lot. It's a bit Anime-like and that's also fine. It's short, pulpy, action-oriented progression fantasy. Will definitely keep reading there series, and it feels like with their length and style they will make good palate cleansers from longer, denser fantasy.

I went ahead and read the rest of the books in the series. It does get better and stays somewhat entertaining throughout. I think you'll like it as the palate cleanser.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27212 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 March 2021 - 03:25 PM

View Postamphibian, on 24 March 2021 - 03:16 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 March 2021 - 01:20 PM, said:

I went ahead and read the rest of the books in the series. It does get better and stays somewhat entertaining throughout. I think you'll like it as the palate cleanser.

Perfect. That's great to know!

#27213 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 March 2021 - 04:44 PM

Hey QT, i'm not saying your TRP needs to be any bigger in any form (it does), but based on their work to date on other stuff (am still vibrating over Golgotha), you probably want (need) to look at this while the 1/2 price sale is still on til Mar 25...

https://www.graphica...evelations.html

#27214 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 26 March 2021 - 08:51 AM

Everyone be like 'Golgotha' and my mind sees Golgotterath from Bakker's latest and that place was very far from wholesome fun times.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27215 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 26 March 2021 - 04:01 PM

I've been waiting patiently for Bakker to write another book - I'll take anything at this point.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27216 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 March 2021 - 04:19 PM

View Postamphibian, on 26 March 2021 - 04:01 PM, said:

I've been waiting patiently for Bakker to write another book - I'll take anything at this point.

I think the last thing he wrote was a short piece he'd been years at called THE LOLLIPOP FACTORY, and he'd supposedly finished it in late 2019 as COVID hit...but I've seen nothing beyond that, and he's not updated his blog since Feb 2020.

#27217 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 March 2021 - 05:00 PM

I think he was looking at crowdfunding another trilo and quickly seeing that the margins for doing so were way less than an established publisher's even lower end contracts.
I believe that he loves the series and wants to complete it, but he's got to pay the rent.

#27218 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 March 2021 - 05:13 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 March 2021 - 05:00 PM, said:

I think he was looking at crowdfunding another trilo and quickly seeing that the margins for doing so were way less than an established publisher's even lower end contracts.

You got have a MUCH wider audience than Bakker does to do a kickstarter for a book (or series of books)...and make it viable. Sullivan, as an example, usually asks for 30k to make the book a reality and hit all the main goals, ends up with 170k, which more than covers him. It also requires a massive amount of backend work, and he has scads of goodwill from his previous kickstarters. Hell, he did one recently JUST for a slipcase for the hardbacks of his recent series and it did well.

I don't think any of that is in Bakker's ability to achieve.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 March 2021 - 05:14 PM

#27219 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 26 March 2021 - 07:41 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 26 March 2021 - 08:51 AM, said:

Everyone be like 'Golgotha' and my mind sees Golgotterath from Bakker's latest and that place was very far from wholesome fun times.

Tbf (1) despite being fun the Golgotha series also has some pretty grim bits (I just re-read the second book, I had forgotten quite how much actually), but also (2) Golgotha the real one isn't exactly associated with happy fun time either is it.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#27220 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 March 2021 - 08:12 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 26 March 2021 - 07:41 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 26 March 2021 - 08:51 AM, said:

Tbf (1) despite being fun the Golgotha series also has some pretty grim bits (I just re-read the second book, I had forgotten quite how much actually), but also (2) Golgotha the real one isn't exactly associated with happy fun time either is it.

'Golgotha, (Aramaic: "Skull,") also called Calvary, (from Latin calva: "bald head," or "skull"), skull-shaped hill in Jerusalem, the site of Jesus' crucifixion.'

Posted Image

Interesting how 'Golgotha' seems so much more grimmer than 'Calvary' in English---probably because the latter sounds so much like 'Cavalry'. Better if you 'mispronounce' it by stressing the second syllable rather than the first, say 'goth' instead of 'go-th', and use a soft 'th'. (Not just, I think, because it emphasizes the 'goth' part.) The Biblical Greek is Γολγοθᾶ, not really 'stressed' in the English sense, with the pitch accent on the final syllable, and the θ an aspirated 't' (assuming it wasn't intended to stand for a soft 'th' in the Aramaic...). (OTOH if 'Goth' were pronounced with a hard 't' it would sound much more commonplace... in English at least.)

'Golgotterath' seems like an amusing quasi-portmanteau of 'Golgotha' and 'Gotterdamerung'... and maybe a third element for the 'rath'. Audiobook narrator for The Aspect Emperor did a good, just moderately over the top job of declaiming that... pretty sure he said Goal-GAHTT-erath.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 26 March 2021 - 08:13 PM

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users