• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 February 2021 - 11:28 AM

Rebuilding his house

#27042 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 February 2021 - 03:51 PM

Two thirds through Neuromancer.

This is a cool story but I find my brain having a hard time following along when the book gets heavy on slang mixed with technical jargon and implied meanings.

Seems Molly is the Muscle Johnny Mnemonic shacks up with in the movie/story. Johnny does not live happily ever after it would seem.

Gotta say one of my least favourite litterary things is stories with Jamaican dialogue. How are you supposed to understand that pidgin English? Why did the 80s have such a fascination with Jamaica?

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 12 February 2021 - 03:52 PM

#27043 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 February 2021 - 09:03 AM

Finished Neuromancer by William Gibson. It was pretty damn good though I remained confused at the plot for most of the book.

Read a few short stories from TOR most notable two stories about Judge Dee, a traveling vampire adjudicator by Lavie Tidhar. They're fun little stories and I love the relationship between Judge Dee and his Human servant.

Started up Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter. I believe this is his debut novel and I think in the opening chapters it tells but the writing gets stronger as the book goes. I initially wasn't keen on the unfamiliar names and terms inspired by African culture but this book does a great job of table setting and then letting things turn to shit. This is a real page turner.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 13 February 2021 - 09:04 AM

#27044 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 February 2021 - 10:03 AM

I read book 3 of the EARTHSEA series in more or less 1 sitting, the best one of them so far.

Now reading THE MONSTER BARU CORMORANT.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27045 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 February 2021 - 11:36 AM

I should get around to reading Earthsea. But when? The to read pile has no sympathy for late comers!

Finished Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter. This was an excellent read.

I could criticise the book for falling into popular and overused YA tropes a bit too much, young man wronged, on a quest for Vengeance, goes to military school and makes friends, etc. Also think it doesn't do enough with the magical lore
and some og the protagonists choices but it's just a damn good story.

I read all 517 pages in pretty much one day which I never do normally.

The protagonist turns into a total badass on the way and I can't wait to see what the sequel brings. Fans of Red Rising will probably love this.

Next up the second Sprawl book, Count Zero by William Gibson.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 14 February 2021 - 11:37 AM

#27046 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 February 2021 - 12:10 PM

The original Earthsea quartet is fairly quick reading Apt, you would probably demolish it in a half days solid reading

#27047 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 February 2021 - 12:17 PM

Hmmmm.

Edit: Oohh a complete illustrated collection for 20 bucks!

https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/1473223547

Well, into the Kindle Library you go.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 14 February 2021 - 12:23 PM

#27048 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 February 2021 - 12:24 PM

View PostMacros, on 14 February 2021 - 12:10 PM, said:

The original Earthsea quartet is fairly quick reading Apt, you would probably demolish it in a half days solid reading

I remember when it was the original trilogy and Tehanu was tacked on decades later ... which itself was 30 years ago.

I'm 49 soon. Well, shit. Guess I should just go die in the corner and try not to leave a mess. :p

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 14 February 2021 - 12:24 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27049 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 February 2021 - 01:03 PM

Tell us about the old days, grandpa. Did they have TV when you were a kid or did you just listen to radio?

#27050 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 February 2021 - 03:02 PM

View PostMacros, on 14 February 2021 - 12:10 PM, said:

I finished listening to the Earthsea series (had never read it before) a couple of weeks ago. Was thinking the last book seemed off to a very promising start before checking how much was left... it was almost over.

Overall a bit underwhelming relative to its reputation and subsequent fantasy, but I wouldn't say it's only of historical interest. Some passages are very good, though the prose is rarely outstanding. The Tombs of Atuan seemed to hold up best, but it's a bit pulpy and simplistic, and it could just be that I haven't sought out more books like it. First book is heavy-handed Jungian allegory which alternates between aimlessness and obviousness, with coarse-grained characterization and subpar dialogue. Third book is better than the first and closer to the later fantasy genre. I like the idea of the fourth book but the execution is too heavy-handed and haphazard. Fifth book (Tales from Earthsea) is interesting for world-building. The sixth book seemed to have improved characterization, better dialogue, and a bit more nuance, though the ending was unsatisfying.

Listening to The Burning God now.

In terms of literal reading, I'm slogging through Topology by Munkres. Was reluctant to try this one because I couldn't find a solution manual, but it's enough of a standard text that I can find detailed answers to the exercises on the internet (some of these are wrong or incomplete---but Math Stackexchange is usually good, since incorrect answers will be downvoted). A few of the illustrations are helpful. As often with math textbooks, I wish it would be more explicit about intermediate steps and the justifications for steps, though it's not as bad as some other textbooks wrt omitting non-obvious steps or justifications. It seems like these textbooks would be better as html (or similar) so intermediate steps and justifications could be followed through hyperlinks, ideally back through multiple possible chains to multiple possible axiomatic systems (etc.). Unfortunately most rigorous math books seem to be intended for people studying to become mathematicians and using them in conjunction with a course... so a lot of the logic is left out (if you can't supply the justifications / intermediate steps / prove it yourself you're not cut out to be a professional mathematician, etc., but it's very time consuming, I have no interest in trying to become a math professor, and I really just want to understand the logic for its relevance to philosophy of science, probability theory, epistemology, etc.).

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 14 February 2021 - 03:13 PM

#27051 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 14 February 2021 - 04:56 PM

View PostAptorian, on 14 February 2021 - 12:17 PM, said:

Hmmmm.

I have the complete illustrated omnibus edition and it's great but not a convenient book to read. But as Macros says each one is pretty easy and quick to get through: 100-200 pages each roughly.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27052 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 14 February 2021 - 05:53 PM

Just finished L. E. Modesitt, jr.'s Fairhaven Rising, the latest addition to the Recluce saga.

Like the last three Recluce installments, this one is filled with filler material and it's obvious that there wasn't enough material to warrant a full novel. Here's to hoping that whatever comes next will be a return to the standards established by many of the previous standalone titles and two-book sequences.

Full review here if anyone is interested.
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#27053 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 February 2021 - 06:20 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 14 February 2021 - 04:56 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 14 February 2021 - 12:17 PM, said:

Hmmmm.

I have the complete illustrated omnibus edition and it's great but not a convenient book to read. But as Macros says each one is pretty easy and quick to get through: 100-200 pages each roughly.

Yep, gorgeous edition...but difficult to read because of it’s size and weight.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27054 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 February 2021 - 06:27 PM

This was the digital edition. I don't buy physical media if I can avoid it.

A big art book is basically just a coffee table book and coffee table books are for people who don't read but want to seem like they do.

#27055 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 February 2021 - 06:49 PM

View PostAptorian, on 14 February 2021 - 06:27 PM, said:

A big art book is basically just a coffee table book and coffee table books are for people who don't read but want to seem like they do.

To be fair, I read my copy. But it was not easy.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27056 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 14 February 2021 - 07:11 PM

Listening to Nemesis games have all gone their separate ways. Two of them have gone as I expected so far but Naomi's ended on a lovely character intro. Book hooks you in well.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#27057 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 February 2021 - 07:35 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 February 2021 - 06:49 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 14 February 2021 - 06:27 PM, said:

To be fair, I read my copy. But it was not easy.

Oh I'm sure, I just felt like taking a shot at coffee table book owners.

#27058 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 February 2021 - 08:52 PM

View PostAptorian, on 14 February 2021 - 01:03 PM, said:

Tell us about the old days, grandpa. Did they have TV when you were a kid or did you just listen to radio?

Radio? We all crowded around the telegraph and let me tell you, our Morse code was tight!
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27059 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 15 February 2021 - 03:31 AM

View Postpat5150, on 14 February 2021 - 05:53 PM, said:

Just finished L. E. Modesitt, jr.'s Fairhaven Rising, the latest addition to the Recluce saga.

Like the last three Recluce installments, this one is filled with filler material and it's obvious that there wasn't enough material to warrant a full novel. Here's to hoping that whatever comes next will be a return to the standards established by many of the previous standalone titles and two-book sequences.

Full review here if anyone is interested.

I find L. E. Modesitt, jr.'s works have always been a bit hit and miss. The pacing is expected but at times the Recluce novels become a bit formulaic. The filler issues you mention don't really surprise me after the last few books. I had been thinking the trilogies would have been better contained in two volume sets. This is something I will either pick up at the library or wait until the storyline is finished and pick up all three books at once.

#27060 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 February 2021 - 05:48 AM

Finished Count Zero by William Gibson.

It was cool. More straightforward than Neuromancer but like the last one I'm still a bit iffy on the logic of the plot/goal of the story.

I enjoyed that this one splits into three POVs and flesh out the idease behind the Cyberpunk setting. Actual corporate warfare, AI evolving into gods, gangs working for corporations, mercenaries and runners double crossing one another. It's just great.

On to The Burning book 2 by Evan Winter, The Fires of Vengeance.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 15 February 2021 - 05:48 AM

Share this topic:

• 1479 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users