• You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#26641 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 October 2020 - 03:05 PM

View PostBriar King, on 08 October 2020 - 02:46 AM, said:

Why pub order? Does he not do a good job weaving them together?

The second book (Streets of Laredo) in publication order is the fourth book for internal chronology. It follows on with Call from the first book (Lonesome Dove) and is a more natural transition from Lonesome Dove.

The third book (Dead Man's Walk) loops us back to young Call and Gus days and the fourth (Comanche Moon) follows that to lead somewhat into Lonesome Dove.

I think starting with Lonesome Dove is the right move as it's the one that gives the best connection to the characters and provides the launchpad for the other stories to deepen the story lines and strengthen reader connection.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#26642 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 October 2020 - 04:48 PM

I bought a tablet in some optimistic attempt at getting into reading newspapers again. Oh and comics.

Just read volume one of The Boys. This is a fucked up comic. Surprisingly much darker than the Amazon show.

#26643 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 09 October 2020 - 11:37 AM

Finished up the Last Emperox and A Deadly Education over the last few days and found them both highly entertaining. The Last Emperox was frequently laugh out loud hillarious in its depiction of crazy people doing crazy things and regular people reacting to the apocalypse. A Deadly Education just the right side of not quite entirely YA and with a very playful style, looking forward for the next one.

Going for a re-read of the Laundry don't think I've ever re-read anything but the first book, at least not for as long as I've keep notes on read books.

This post has been edited by Chance: 09 October 2020 - 11:40 AM

#26644 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 October 2020 - 11:46 AM

View PostAptorian, on 08 October 2020 - 04:48 PM, said:

I bought a tablet in some optimistic attempt at getting into reading newspapers again. Oh and comics.

Just read volume one of The Boys. This is a fucked up comic. Surprisingly much darker than the Amazon show.

Wait til you read the sidebook "Herogasm". :lol:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#26645 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 October 2020 - 01:06 PM

View PostChance, on 09 October 2020 - 11:37 AM, said:

A Deadly Education just the right side of not quite entirely YA and with a very playful style, looking forward for the next one.

I've heard mostly good things about this. Glad to hear its solid. I will be getting it eventually.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26646 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 11 October 2020 - 11:06 AM

View PostImperial Historian, on 02 October 2020 - 04:27 PM, said:

A deadly education by naomi novacs was very fun, if a little on the YA side. If you want Harry Potter where a) hogwarts is actively trying to kill you and B) it's narrated by hermione who is sick and tired of harry being a heroic moron, you will like this book. Would recommend.

Sounds like Novik's got into a little trouble over this, with a general complaint of cultural insensitivity when talking about the non-white people and their cultures including the main character's own, and a more specific issue with an outrageously bad passage about bug-infested locs (which she has no apologised for but I have no idea how anyone thought it was a good idea).

The second part surprises me but if the first part about general cloth-eared insensitivty is true it doesn't because I loved Uprooted but that included some not-quite-there depictions of Polish culture and mythic makeup including mispronunciation of the MC's name and getting her diminutive wrong, and that was her own family's culture. Never got quite as far as offense, but apply the same issues to a minority culture she's even less familiar with and I can see why it would bother people if that's what's happened.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#26647 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 October 2020 - 02:18 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 09 October 2020 - 11:46 AM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 08 October 2020 - 04:48 PM, said:

Wait til you read the sidebook "Herogasm". :lol:

That one shot was just plain wrong.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#26648 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 October 2020 - 02:26 AM

Ok, bit of backlog to cover...

HORUS RISING, just finished the earbook. This was my first incursion into WH40k, courtesy of the Black Library humble bundle of earbooks from a while back... I liked. The action was solid, but I expected that. I did not expect the depth of character or moderate philosophizing. Will read more.

BATTLE GROUND... will hit the dedthread shortly, but yeah, that was some gooooOOOoood Dresdencrack.

....and now, Victoria Schwab's THE INVISIBLE LIFE OF ADDIE LARUE. About 25% in and very enjoying this. It's urban fantasy to an extent, but subtle, the protagonist is cursed to live forever but be instantly forgotten by everyone she meets. The reader learns the ins and outside of the curse w her, and it's very well done. So far, so good. I can see why the media rights were swooped up fast, tho not sure a screen can do it justice.

#26649 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 October 2020 - 04:38 AM

View PostAbyss, on 12 October 2020 - 02:26 AM, said:

Ok, bit of backlog to cover...

HORUS RISING, just finished the earbook. This was my first incursion into WH40k, courtesy of the Black Library humble bundle of earbooks from a while back... I liked. The action was solid, but I expected that. I did not expect the depth of character or moderate philosophizing. Will read more.

BATTLE GROUND... will hit the dedthread shortly, but yeah, that was some gooooOOOoood Dresdencrack.

....and now, Victoria Schwab's THE INVISIBLE LIFE OF ADDIE LARUE. About 25% in and very enjoying this. It's urban fantasy to an extent, but subtle, the protagonist is cursed to live forever but be instantly forgotten by everyone she meets. The reader learns the ins and outside of the curse w her, and it's very well done. So far, so good. I can see why the media rights were swooped up fast, tho not sure a screen can do it justice.

That last one sounds very much like THE SUDDEN APPEARANCE OF HOPE by Clare North.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26650 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 12 October 2020 - 02:04 PM

That similarity is exactly why I avoided reading it. I tend to think North is a better writer by a wide margin (they aren't in competition, I just want more success for North and especially the Matthew Swift books).

#26651 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 October 2020 - 05:28 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 11 October 2020 - 11:06 AM, said:

A deadly education by naomi novacs was very fun, if a little on the YA side. If you want Harry Potter where a) hogwarts is actively trying to kill you and B) it's narrated by hermione who is sick and tired of harry being a heroic moron, you will like this book. Would recommend.

Sounds like Novik's got into a little trouble over this, with a general complaint of cultural insensitivity when talking about the non-white people and their cultures including the main character's own, and a more specific issue with an outrageously bad passage about bug-infested locs (which she has no apologised for but I have no idea how anyone thought it was a good idea).

The second part surprises me but if the first part about general cloth-eared insensitivty is true it doesn't because I loved Uprooted but that included some not-quite-there depictions of Polish culture and mythic makeup including mispronunciation of the MC's name and getting her diminutive wrong, and that was her own family's culture. Never got quite as far as offense, but apply the same issues to a minority culture she's even less familiar with and I can see why it would bother people if that's what's happened.

People writing about other cultures are going to make mistakes, and I'd rather have authors writing diverse fiction and making mistakes, than writing entirely within their white western comfort zone.

Personally as a biracial person of similar ethnic heritage to the MC it was very refreshing to see, whilst certainly not a perfect depiction of all the cultures involved it worked for me.

That said the dreadlock comment was foolish. In context it kind of makes sense where it comes from, but I can see why people might be offended.

#26652 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 12 October 2020 - 05:39 PM

HORUS RISING was ace. I listened through that humble bundle and found that after the proper trilogy the offerings were quite variable in quality.

Still reading Grass by Sheri Tapper. You can clearly see why its an SF masterworks, the tension of the plot and mystery is building at a really good pace.

Hopefully I'll finish in time to read Toll the Hounds this month.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#26653 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 October 2020 - 05:59 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 12 October 2020 - 05:28 PM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on 11 October 2020 - 11:06 AM, said:

People writing about other cultures are going to make mistakes, and I'd rather have authors writing diverse fiction and making mistakes, than writing entirely within their white western comfort zone.

Personally as a biracial person of similar ethnic heritage to the MC it was very refreshing to see, whilst certainly not a perfect depiction of all the cultures involved it worked for me.

That said the dreadlock comment was foolish. In context it kind of makes sense where it comes from, but I can see why people might be offended.

This seemed to be the general consensus about this on Reddit too. You’re damned I’d you do and you’re damned if you don’t...but at least Novik made the effort, and she will keep learning. No one is going to ever be perfect. The twitter idiots who tried to cancel her for it were extremists who were just looking for shit to be annoyed about.

And AFAIK she made an apology too.

So for me, she’s come out of well.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26654 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 12 October 2020 - 06:00 PM

View PostCyphon, on 12 October 2020 - 05:39 PM, said:

HORUS RISING was ace. I listened through that humble bundle and found that after the proper trilogy the offerings were quite variable in quality.

Still reading Grass by Sheri Tapper. You can clearly see why its an SF masterworks, the tension of the plot and mystery is building at a really good pace.

Hopefully I'll finish in time to read Toll the Hounds this month.

The Horus Heresy books can be rather easily divided into "very much worth your time" and "only if you want pulp" based on authors.

My list of "definitely read" 40k authors in the Heresy series is Abnett, McNeill, Kymes, Scanlon, Dembski-Bowden, Thorpe.

#26655 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 October 2020 - 05:57 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 October 2020 - 04:38 AM, said:

That last one sounds very much like THE SUDDEN APPEARANCE OF HOPE by Clare North.

View Postamphibian, on 12 October 2020 - 02:04 PM, said:

That similarity is exactly why I avoided reading it. I tend to think North is a better writer by a wide margin (they aren't in competition, I just want more success for North and especially the Matthew Swift books).

Haven't read HOPE. From the reviews I've seen from people who have read both it seems the similarity is superficial at premise level at most.

#26656 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 13 October 2020 - 06:39 PM

View PostAbyss, on 13 October 2020 - 05:57 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 October 2020 - 04:38 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 12 October 2020 - 02:04 PM, said:

Haven't read HOPE. From the reviews I've seen from people who have read both it seems the similarity is superficial at premise level at most.

Hmm I love it as a concept (all North's books have concepts that I utterly love which is why she's one of my favourite authors) so I'd be willing to check this one out to see how it compares.

Edit: incidentally what do you call this kind of book? Speculative fiction? It's definitely SFF of a kind but doesn't easily define. Matt Haig writes similarly. I really dig it anyway.

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 13 October 2020 - 06:41 PM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26657 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 13 October 2020 - 08:02 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 October 2020 - 06:39 PM, said:

incidentally what do you call this kind of book? Speculative fiction? It's definitely SFF of a kind but doesn't easily define.

The thing with Claire North's books is that she takes a character with unexplained SFF "powers" and drops them into another genre--though when I think about it, they're all "thriller" offshoots: Harry August is a spy thriller, Hope is a corporate-tech thriller, Touch is a more straightforward thriller/revenge thriller.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#26658 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:01 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 13 October 2020 - 08:02 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 October 2020 - 06:39 PM, said:

incidentally what do you call this kind of book? Speculative fiction? It's definitely SFF of a kind but doesn't easily define.

The thing with Claire North's books is that she takes a character with unexplained SFF "powers" and drops them into another genre--though when I think about it, they're all "thriller" offshoots: Harry August is a spy thriller, Hope is a corporate-tech thriller, Touch is a more straightforward thriller/revenge thriller.

And ADDIE is none of that, so far. It's very much a human story of ordinary (ish) people experiencing extraordinary things. I think it falls closest to a urban fantasy / historical fantasy hybrid if we need a category. The world isn't at stake, there's no invasion, no evil agents. Just a poor French girl who cut a really bad deal with a clever devil in 1700, getting by in 2014 NYC. Til stuff happens, but I don't spoil.

#26659 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 14 October 2020 - 05:58 AM

Huh well I'm intrigued.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26660 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:52 PM

Revelation Space by Alistair Reynolds.

Nice cross between an Iain Banks and Richard Morgan. Without the humour of the former and the.. weird creepy parts of the latter.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users