• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#24381 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:49 PM

Just received the last books in the Belgariad, that I ordered. I found them in a box with this mammoth.

It's the fifth book in the Outlander series. It's 1200 pages. It's huuuge.

Spoiler

#24382 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:18 PM

BK, I use Book Depository from UK for Malazan. Free shipping from UPS or Fed Ex.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#24383 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:27 PM

A rare HoosierDaddy appears in the wild!

#24384 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:36 PM

It teleported away!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#24385 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:19 AM

Two chapters into Shadow of the Torturer. The first volume in the Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe.

This is not bad at all. Bit archaic writing style in places. I had to look up a word in the very first sentence but this is solid fantasy/sci-fi.

#24386 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:58 AM

Never read Stormlight if you actually have tastebuds. May as well be licking a water treatment plant filter.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#24387 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:04 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 18 April 2019 - 07:58 AM, said:

Never read Stormlight if you actually have tastebuds. May as well be licking a water treatment plant filter.

Get enough of you doing that and you'll solve London's fatberg problems.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#24388 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:39 AM

Hmm. I feel like I need to do a New Sun re-read/ Long Sun read soon as well.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#24389 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:35 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 18 April 2019 - 07:58 AM, said:

I'm not sure anyone was talking about Stormlight here?

Is this like tourettes where you can't help yourself just lashing out at other authors randomly for no reason to a bunch of people who like that author?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24390 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:31 PM

People who live in Star Wars 8 glass pot houses should not throw Stormlight archive stone kettles.

Back to books.

I finished A Career of Evil, the third Cormoran Strike book. I didn't really like this book.

There's this formula the books follow where Strike and Ellacot do a lot of meat and potatoes detective work that doesn't really lead anywhere particular and then Strike has an epiphany, that Ellacot is not party to. It's annoying.

But more pressing there was all this relationship bullshit in this book that felt very forced and annoying in the middle of a story about a serial killer. Like, the attraction between Strike and Ellacot is an obvious story, but it's a story for a much later book.

Ellacot's character got a lot of much needed growth and I came to have a lot of respect for her. She's complex. But then there's this badly written schism between her and Strike because of the tension they're under, leading to a final confrontation that is sold so poorly, that I almost dropped this series all together thirty pages from the end.

I've already made a reservation for the fourth book that just came out but if this weird work/love relationship continues to be written this awkwardly I'm out.

As for Shadow of the Torturer I'm about ten chapters in. This is slow going. Well written but I'm starting to suspect this is not a series that has a real tempo.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 18 April 2019 - 01:33 PM

#24391 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:34 PM

View PostAptorian, on 18 April 2019 - 01:31 PM, said:

People who live in Star Wars 8 glass pot houses should not throw Stormlight archive stone kettles.

The difference is that I only bring up my dislike of a certain SW film when it's relevant to the conversation at hand (like when we are talking about SW)...not on random threads where no one is talking SW.

:)
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24392 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:48 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 April 2019 - 01:34 PM, said:

The difference is that I only bring up my dislike of a certain SW film when it's relevant to the conversation at hand (like when we are talking about SW)...not on random threads where no one is talking SW.

Maark is presumably reading Stormlight Archives.

#24393 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:57 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 18 April 2019 - 01:48 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 April 2019 - 01:34 PM, said:

Maark is presumably reading Stormlight Archives.

That would astonish me since I think he read the first and loathed it more than anything else he's read...if he is reading it, I take back what I said, but I gotta wonder why he went back after hating it so much?

#24394 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 18 April 2019 - 04:16 PM

Reread a couple of Wolfe stories last night, both from Starwater Strains:

"The Seraph from Its Sepulcher" is such a great setting; I love stories about missionaries to alien planets. Even better when the aliens go through an actual metamorphic cycle and how that fits with the Christian message of being "born again". My favorite line is when the alien tells the priest: "If you were more like Christ, you would understand us better." And then Wolfe pulls one of his "wait, what just happened" endings, and I love it.

"Lord of the Land" is, in Wolfe's own words, a Lovecraft story. Very creepy, and it goes a little crazy before it finally makes sense at the end. And then the final scene sticks in your head and makes you wonder what it means exactly. Fantastic.

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 18 April 2019 - 04:17 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#24395 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 18 April 2019 - 04:18 PM

Finished Holy Sister.

Good. Not as good as I wanted it to be. Its not really over, is it?

#24396 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:16 AM

It is. But there is a new trilogy set in the same universe coming up next year. With different characters.
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#24397 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:30 AM

View Postpat5150, on 19 April 2019 - 02:16 AM, said:

It is. But there is a new trilogy set in the same universe coming up next year. With different characters.

Oh. I would have liked Nona and Co. to resolve the Moon and the encroaching ice issue.

#24398 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:24 AM

Finished chapter 14 in Shadow of the Torturer.

Just read this bit:

The peltast said, “But Lochage—” shooting such a look of hatred toward me that I thought he might attempt to do me some harm when I left the bartizan.

“Show this fellow you are indeed of the torturers’ guild.”

The peltast was relaxed, so there was no great difficulty. I knocked his shield aside with my right arm, putting my left foot on his right to pin him while I crushed that nerve in the neck that induces convulsions.

Severian just went from a monastic school boy to a badass in a split second.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 19 April 2019 - 07:25 AM

#24399 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:59 PM

Finished Shadow of the Torturer and began The Claw of the Conciliator

If Wolfe wasn't such a good writer I think I would have liked Shadow less than I do. Not much actually happens in this first book. A great many tales are told and Severian is well introduced but the book doesn't move far from the middle to the end. And the end isn't much of an end at all, It seems to me that The Book of the New Sun is meant to be read as a hole while the I individual books aren't stand alone.

Claw certainly starts up like you're picking up from the last page of Shadow. Only more confusing.

#24400 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:15 PM

View PostAptorian, on 19 April 2019 - 07:24 AM, said:

Severian just went from a monastic school boy to a badass in a split second.

Not that I don't agree with you (love that scene), but keep in mind this is Severian writing his memoirs, so he might just be making himself look good here. (And does that even matter? I don't know, but it's something to think about.)

View PostAptorian, on 19 April 2019 - 02:59 PM, said:

Not much actually happens in this first book.

A great many things of import actually happen, but you won't realize it until much later. Regardless, the first bit that takes place in the Citadel is one of my favorite parts of the entire series, just for the atmosphere it creates.

It seems to me that The Book of the New Sun is meant to be read as a hole while the I individual books aren't stand alone.

Exactly right. Stopping after Shadow would be akin to quitting Lord of the Rings after Fellowship. The last book in BotNS brings events full circle, and Severian himself takes pains to explain some things (and you'll likely have figured out some other stuff by that point, too.)

Claw certainly starts up like you're picking up from the last page of Shadow. Only more confusing.

There's a pretty obvious jump in time of at least a couple of days. Perhaps the most confusing bit is that the ending of Shadow is never actually explained.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

Share this topic:

• 1473 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users