• You cannot reply to this topic

Reading at t'moment?

#24361 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:19 PM

View PostObdigore, on 12 April 2019 - 12:21 PM, said:

Really? I thought I read this on amazon pre-release, and its One Word Kill thats being published at the end of May?

Acccording to Amazon, One Word Kill hardcover was available April 1 (with other formats due May 1), and Limited Wish is May 28.

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 12 April 2019 - 03:21 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#24362 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:42 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 12 April 2019 - 03:19 PM, said:

View PostObdigore, on 12 April 2019 - 12:21 PM, said:

Really? I thought I read this on amazon pre-release, and its One Word Kill thats being published at the end of May?

Acccording to Amazon, One Word Kill hardcover was available April 1 (with other formats due May 1), and Limited Wish is May 28.

Lawrence has been talking about all three volumes on social media for the last few months scattered amongst his Holy Sister posts.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24363 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 12 April 2019 - 04:37 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 11 April 2019 - 11:04 PM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on 11 April 2019 - 05:01 PM, said:

I started reading A Memory Called Empire, by Arkady Martine, a recent SF/Space Opera debut. It is ridiculously entertaining. A politically focused one- a new ambassador arriving at the capital of the space empire, lots of twists and turns- but played with a wink and a smile too.

This sounds awesome! Purchased.

I finished it now, really enjoyed. It's got a touch of Ann Leckie about it, though the military side is a lot less direct (it'd probably be more accurate to describe it as a story that takes place within a space opera than as a space opera itself), also a touch of Guy Gavriel Kay (not in the writing style, but in the way things happen and somewhat in the characters). It is the first in a series, but that just means I'm looking forward to see where it goes next...

After somewhat of a lull for a few years, there's been so much great new SF recently. When Leckie first broke out in 2013 she really stood out (and don't get me wrong she deserves to) coz there hadn't been all that many hot SF debuts around then, but in the last three years or so we've had Ada Palmer, Yoon Ha Lee, Becky Chambers...
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#24364 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:37 AM

Just finished Adrian Tchaikovsky's Echoes of the Fall series. Pretty good, especially if read between the lines bit. Also he really is obsessed with bugs isn't he?

#24365 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 April 2019 - 01:54 AM

View PostBriar King, on 14 April 2019 - 12:32 AM, said:

The Licanus bks were most certainly an unexpected purchase today but I saw them and they were $16 each and doing flips to get my attention so I grabbed them.

You will not be disappointed, that first book was excellent!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24366 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 14 April 2019 - 02:16 AM

I just finished the first Licanius book about and hour ago. It was pretty dang good.

#24367 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:02 PM

I'm up to book 6 of the belgarion saga (book 3 of the Belgariad). I've come to really love these books. They're of course antiquated in many ways, having come out nearly 40 years ago but there's really solid world building and a great cast of characters in these books.

I think the books age are their biggest charm. This is fantasy from before everything had to be grim dark, minimalistic and one upping older books. It's just vanilla fantasy.

These characters are so universal that it feels like reading about a dnd group role-playing as a rogue, a knight, a farm boy, etc. But Eddings writes them with great chemistry.

Can't wait for the next books to arrive and see if they save the world.

I'm also well into book 3 of the Cormoran Strike books, Career of Evil.

I'm on the fence about Rowling's writing in these books. They're good enough, the characters are great and the who dun it is well crafted, but there's something about the pace or the prose that makes reading these books feel like a slog. It doesn't help that they're 500 pages long either.

Anyway, I don't recommend reading these books back to back. Though I am hooked.

#24368 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:58 AM

Finished "Lost Symbol". Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.

It's not terrible per se. but the thriller aspect of it was just so.... bland.

The big "twist" was telegraphed at least half-way into the book; the fact that CIA was involved made no sense; And things just kinda fell apart from there.

Anyways, it's done, sot hat's that.

I'll start my next home read once I'm back from my trip. It'll either be "Shantaram", "Shogun", or "Blood Meridian". Any suggestions?
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#24369 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:23 AM

View PostBriar King, on 15 April 2019 - 04:17 AM, said:

Going with Wizards First Rule.

Wut?

#24370 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:27 PM

Started Holy Sister at the weekend. Hoping to get it read this week but work will be crazy

#24371 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:52 PM

Finished Europe in winter which was a very enjoyable spy thriller. Set up nicely for the final confrontation in the last book.

Also read the Labrinyth Index. Satisfied the L-F parasites nicely andn upped the ante.

Not sure what I'll read next, maybe the new sun again given today's news.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#24372 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:09 PM

View PostBriar King, on 15 April 2019 - 06:22 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 15 April 2019 - 04:45 AM, said:

Have New Sun in my lap now. I wonder if I still have the smarts to fully get Wolfe these days?

Man I hope so.

Will grab another book in 40 seconds.

I was bullshitting about WFR

OMFG!!!

Heartbroken! SHIT!!!

When I saw a photo of him with a hat on for a moment I thought GRRM had died.

#24373 User is offline   Zetubal 

• Captain
  • Interests:Language

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:18 PM

Finished Kellanved's Reach yesterday. It wasn't what I was expecting but I cannot tell whether that's good or bad. As many others have already pointed out, the novel feels very busy at times. Because of that, events that I imagined to be more epic turned out to be rather quick one-note events which the novels only mentions in passing. I also felt that this novel suffered from a lack of tension/suspense. 300 something pages aren't enough to endear me to this onslaught of side characters, so why would I care much if any get hurt, fail, die etc.? The main characters on the other hand seem established to the point where Kellanved's Reach doesn't tell me anything I didn't already knew while filling in blanks that, for the most part, I'd never thought much about prior to reading this book.
On the plus side, I like the main characters, the individual stories are at least entertaining, and Ian's prose is as good as it's ever been imo. The book manages to evoke the feeling of once again being in the Malazan world, and that alone is enjoyable. But compared to its literary peers, this is an average entry.
Still, I was happy to hear that Ian will give us more prequels. :)

Already started Library at Mount Char this afternoon, and while it certainly is weird, it's also fairly intriguing.

#24374 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:34 PM

Started Esslemont's Kellanved's Reach.

#24375 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:54 PM

Me too!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#24376 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:44 AM

View PostBriar King, on 16 April 2019 - 10:02 PM, said:

All you motherfuckers reading KR can suck it. My BAM doesn't carry ICE and me going through Amazon is much harder now with my smaller mailbox.

Still have to get those 3. Very likely to take me to well into 2021 to get to them anyway.

Or, oh, I dunno... get a bigger mailbox.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#24377 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:58 AM

Started reading "Ecko Rising" on my trip read a coupla hundred pages, got to part 3 (so roughly halfway-ish)

Decent premise: A cyberpunk protagonist finds himself in a fantasy world, one that he suspects is a simulation to help his work through his psych traumas.

The overall vibe feels similar to The Land from Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books, but the writing's grittier. The antagonist seems more interesting as well.

Not an insanely absorbing book, but i"ll carry on with it for my commute.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#24378 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:45 AM

View PostBriar King, on 17 April 2019 - 03:12 AM, said:

Ha I would if I could. I honestly don't know if I'd catch shit for it.

Seriously? In the age of amazon everything you’re not allowed a box big enough for three hardbacks?What if you needed, I dunno, diapers, dog food, anonymously shipped sealed dry ice packed boxes roughly the size of a grown man’s skull, delivered?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#24379 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:53 AM

View PostBriar King, on 16 April 2019 - 10:02 PM, said:

All you motherfuckers reading KR can suck it. My BAM doesn’t carry ICE and me going through Amazon is much harder now with my smaller mailbox.

Still have to get those 3. Very likely to take me to well into 2021 to get to them anyway.

Your B&M won't special order a copy for you?
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#24380 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:25 PM

Speaking of KR, just finished it. It was good, but I agree with what others have said that it should have been longer. I hope they don't trim down The God is Not Willing.

Share this topic:

• 1472 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users